Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional, US judge rules

The SCOTUS decision in NYSRPA v. Bruen has spawned numerous 2A cases. This justifies the creation of this new forum.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 3

Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional, US judge rules

Post by tomneal »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ban-o ... r-AA1mUHD7
A federal judge in Florida on Friday ruled that a U.S. law that bars people from possessing firearms in post offices is unconstitutional, citing a landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling from 2022 that expanded gun rights.
Mizelle said that while post offices have existed since the nation's founding, federal law did not bar guns in government buildings until 1964 and post offices until 1972. No historical practice dating back to the 1700s justified the ban, she said.

See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional, US judge rules

Post by carlson1 »

I sure hope this is the case. I despise having to go to the Post Office for the very reason of supposing to have disarm.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

I love the Bruin decision more every day!

Question for our legal experts: what is the impact of this for us (assuming it stands). Is it limited to only a certain geographic region, or does it impact the full US?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Vol Texan wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:15 am I love the Bruin decision more every day!

Question for our legal experts: what is the impact of this for us (assuming it stands). Is it limited to only a certain geographic region, or does it impact the full US?
At the moment it impacts only the jurisdiction of the circuit in which the ruling was issued. More narrowly, it only has immediate effect on the case, since there wasn't an injunction issued against the law itself, only a dismissal of the specific charge against 1 person.

My non-lawyer understanding, anyway.

ETA... This ruling was at the District :Court level... Likely has no impact outside the District, beyond churning up the gun grabbers.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Roy I sure love you, but I hope so much you are wrong. :lol:

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

Thos could get very interesting. What is next, VA facilities. Military installations are somewhat of a fiefdom on their own. Waiting to see how this plays out.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Very interesting decision.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

These decisions are cumulative.

Every one of them on our side, makes the next one easier for the next judge to rule in our favor.
See you at the range

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:37 am Roy I sure love you, but I hope so much you are wrong. :lol:
I hope I'm wrong as well! :lol:

I found out today that I WAS wrong about the parking lot having to be posted... I thought it did not, but, apparently it DOES need to be posted, as does the building, in order for gun possession to be off limits...

From another forum...
Full statute here:,
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930
The application of 930 to post office parking lots is via case law.
tomneal wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:40 am These decisions are cumulative.

Every one of them on our side, makes the next one easier for the next judge to rule in our favor.
I appreciate your positive energy on this Tom! :thumbs2:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:53 pm
carlson1 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:37 am Roy I sure love you, but I hope so much you are wrong. :lol:
I hope I'm wrong as well! :lol:

I found out today that I WAS wrong about the parking lot having to be posted... I thought it did not, but, apparently it DOES need to be posted, as does the building, in order for gun possession to be off limits...

From another forum...
Full statute here:,
The application of 930 to post office parking lots is via case law.
tomneal wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:40 am These decisions are cumulative.

I appreciate your positive energy on this Tom! :thumbs2:
Please help a guy who is a slow thinker. The USPS has to post 30.06/07 to keep you out?

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

30.06/07
I didn't think those applied to government property.

Also

Post offices are federal. Does Texas law apply?
See you at the range

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

30.06/07 does not apply to federal facilities as it is part of Texas law. Federal law is something else entirely:
....whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both

....The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2½ inches in length.

There is some room under (d)(3) that suggests that "incident to ... lawful purposes" is ok, so I think this battle can be won nationwide if the courts are reasonable.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:07 pm 30.06/07 does not apply to federal facilities as it is part of Texas law. Federal law is something else entirely:
....whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both

....The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2½ inches in length.

There is some room under (d)(3) that suggests that "incident to ... lawful purposes" is ok, so I think this battle can be won nationwide if the courts are reasonable.
Thank you my friend. I am always confused about the Post Office. Can I even go to my dentist that is in the same store front location, etc?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:15 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:07 pm 30.06/07 does not apply to federal facilities as it is part of Texas law. Federal law is something else entirely:

Thank you my friend. I am always confused about the Post Office. Can I even go to my dentist that is in the same store front location, etc?
Plainly the Federally owned or leased building is prohibited... my understanding is the parking lot of a dedicated federal facility is prohibited... but could only speculate about a shared facility. I would think only the federally owned or leased portion would be affected, but that would be a matter for the lawyers.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:19 pm Please help a guy who is a slow thinker. The USPS has to post 30.06/07 to keep you out?
Not 30.0x...

Emphasis is mine...
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.
The posted sign would reference 18 USC 930... At national parks, the signs look like this.... But I've never seen any similar sign at my local PO.

Return to “Second Amendment Cases”