DPS

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

srothstein wrote:"Yes, you can look inside the passenger area, but not inside the glove box or trunk."
:smilelol5:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

TxFire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxFire »

Thanks Stephan for the clarification. I don't like the answer, but it is what it is.

dihappy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dihappy »

txinvestigator wrote: Absolutely. Non state LEO's are restricted in actions taken outside of their jurisdiction for traffic and other minor offenses.

My shift was sent from our city to a Port Aransas to assist with a huge beach riot once. There were PD's from everywhere there, as well as DPS from as far away as San Antonio.
I remember that
Those High School days were crazy :)

TX, how old are you, lol :)

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

srothstein wrote:Mithras,

The trickiness of that question is why it is asked that way. Because the officers know that most people will not clearly enunciate and the SCOTUS has already siad any invocation of rights must be clear and unequivocal. That ruling was in response to questions about when a person asked for a lawyer, but the principle will hold.

I always recommend that people be very clear and explicit when authorizing or declining a search. I have always wanted to see a young rookies face when someone says "Yes, you can look inside the passenger area, but not inside the glove box or trunk." The limits are clearly stated and he is going to die of curiousity trying to find a way inside those areas.
I had figured that was the case, but didn't know if others saw it. I write technical training materials & a large part of what I do is cenetred around clarity of the materials, so I spend lots of time thinking about HOW to say things, and most folks don't. English is SUCH a fun language because you can say something so that it sounds like one thing when in fact it was something else entirely! :grin:

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 20

Post by txinvestigator »

dihappy wrote:
txinvestigator wrote: Absolutely. Non state LEO's are restricted in actions taken outside of their jurisdiction for traffic and other minor offenses.

My shift was sent from our city to a Port Aransas to assist with a huge beach riot once. There were PD's from everywhere there, as well as DPS from as far away as San Antonio.
I remember that

Old enough. ;-) Two questions;

1) Were you there? :totap:

2) Do you remember how we cleared the beach?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

txinvestigator wrote:
dihappy wrote:

I remember that

1. Yes, i was near the crazy mob that overturned the vehicle ( i think it was only one vehicle).

2. No, we left when we saw them overturning the vehicle. I had a good feeling it was all going to you know what from there.

I graduated that year :)
Man, if i was 17 back then, you must of been like 40, so that makes you...daang :)

How did you clear the beach?

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

dihappy wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
dihappy wrote:

I remember that

1. Yes, i was near the crazy mob that overturned the vehicle ( i think it was only one vehicle).
Yep, that started it. The crowd then started overturning port o potties and everything else, then started torching stuff.
2. No, we left when we saw them overturning the vehicle. I had a good feeling it was all going to you know what from there.

I graduated that year :)
Man, if i was 17 back then, you must of been like 40, so that makes you...daang :)
I am only 10 years older than you. :waiting:
How did you clear the beach?
All LEO's were recalled from the beach to the Port A PD. The DPS and Coast Guard Helicopters "dusted" the beach until it was clear. It was VERY effective. :thumbsup:
*CHL Instructor*

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

KBCraig wrote:
easttexas wrote:Ok I'll throw this in while talking to my trooper friend said he knows of this officer that pulled me over and he is a new trooper. Interesting enough he said that the DPS has the right to search any vehical once pulled over for a viloation at any time unlike a city cop which might or might not have the right to search.
You're being fed a large dose of smoke. Don't inhale.

Peace officers are peace officers. Troopers don't have any special rights to search that doesn't apply to any other peace officer.

Kevin
I would make one addition to this point. Most city police departments have a large number of general orders and SOP's that often place greater restrictions on the conduct of their officers than what State Law would allow. Troopers do not have these same restrictions.

Most departments have various levels of restrictions. Some examples would be pursuit policies, firearms use policies, and even search policies.

As an example, my local department has a strict policy against discharging a firearm from a vehicle, or at a vehicle. I have seen DPS get in a chase and shoot out the suspects tires. It's not that they are treated differently under the law, it's that they don't have the buerocratic restrictions.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NcongruNt »

txinvestigator wrote: My shift was sent from our city to a Port Aransas to assist with a huge beach riot once. There were PD's from everywhere there, as well as DPS from as far away as San Antonio.
A beach riot?? I have a hard time picturing anything resembling a riot on the lazy beaches of Port Aransas. What was going on? The only thing I can even remotely think of that would get to riot proportions would be Spring Breakers getting too rowdy.

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

Exactly! Plus, some guy supposedly hit a girl and everyone went ape after that and turned over his car.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

NcongruNt wrote:
txinvestigator wrote: My shift was sent from our city to a Port Aransas to assist with a huge beach riot once. There were PD's from everywhere there, as well as DPS from as far away as San Antonio.
A beach riot?? I have a hard time picturing anything resembling a riot on the lazy beaches of Port Aransas. What was going on? The only thing I can even remotely think of that would get to riot proportions would be Spring Breakers getting too rowdy.
Some dude in a jeep ran over a girl who had sort of dug into the sand. He was drunk, didn't see her, then tried to flee. The beach goers drug him out, turned over his Jeep and burned it. It got out of hand quickly. Several Port A officers were injured in their early efforts to calm things.

It eventually stretched from Access road 1 to the County Park at Beach Road. It was pretty crazy.
*CHL Instructor*

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”