Man "CarJacks" Dallas Officer's car, gun, badge

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 1

Man "CarJacks" Dallas Officer's car, gun, badge

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Perhaps she carries her stuff in a bag in the back seat or trunk when off duty. I wonder what she was thinking when it happened. Oh darn my gun's in the trunk...

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Suspect- ... 25691.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plano police have arrested a man they say carjacked an off-duty Dallas officer on Friday, getting away with her gun and badge inside the vehicle.
Dominic Mignogna is being held on aggravated robbery charges. Richardson police noticed the stolen car outside his home, then called in their Plano colleagues.
III

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Man "CarJacks" Dallas Officer's car, gun, badge

Post by Excaliber »

rbwhatever1 wrote:Perhaps she carries her stuff in a bag in the back seat or trunk when off duty. I wonder what she was thinking when it happened. Oh darn my gun's in the trunk...

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Suspect- ... 25691.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plano police have arrested a man they say carjacked an off-duty Dallas officer on Friday, getting away with her gun and badge inside the vehicle.
Dominic Mignogna is being held on aggravated robbery charges. Richardson police noticed the stolen car outside his home, then called in their Plano colleagues.
This incident should have been an example of target selection error that ended at the gas station where it happened, and the officer should have driven her car home after the incident.

It's another example of you can't fix stupid.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

leos can be victims like everybody else. lapd made a good training video about a female officer that pulled out
her gun vs giving up her car, she was badly shot. my thought is they can have my empty car, that is why i have insurance. if my family is present then i will reevaluate based on suspects demeanor.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

texanjoker wrote:leos can be victims like everybody else. lapd made a good training video about a female officer that pulled out
her gun vs giving up her car, she was badly shot. my thought is they can have my empty car, that is why i have insurance. if my family is present then i will reevaluate based on suspects demeanor.
I am not faulting her for the decision to give up the car instead of resisting.

However, I do think it is fair to point out the gun should have been on her hip instead of in a bag in the trunk -- if that was her only handgun. If she had one on her hip and a back-up gun in the bag in the trunk, then I do not fault her in the slightest.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

texanjoker wrote:leos can be victims like everybody else. lapd made a good training video about a female officer that pulled out
I can't fault the Dallas officer's decision to give up the car - I wasn't there and she may have had no good alternative. That part is a judgment call.

I'm familiar with the LAPD case, and if I recall correctly the BG's shot the officer in the heart as soon as they confronted her. She then returned accurate fire with the gun she carried on her person and fatally wounded at least one BG, despite her near fatal wound which she survived only because of heroic efforts by paramedics and surgeons.

There may have been some good reason for the Dallas officer not carrying her badge and gun on her person at that particular time, but this practice is atypical of situationally aware officers and very typical of officers who refuse to carry their guns off duty because they're not being paid for those hours and they don't need to because nothing bad ever happens to them.

Regardless of prior circumstances, when she was confronted, her decision not to carry her gun gave her no viable option for engaging the suspect or even for defending her life if the BG decided to shoot her for the heck of it, despite the fact that she had a high level of training and was authorized to carry a weapon. This, to me, is what looks like the stupid part.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

rbwhatever1 wrote:Dominic Mignogna is being held on aggravated robbery charges. Richardson police noticed the stolen car outside his home, then called in their Plano colleagues.
She's lucky the crook was so stupid. If he ditched or stripped the car that night, her gun and badge would still be in the wind.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”