Highland Park PD (Dallas)

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
FIFTY
Posts in topic: 2

Highland Park PD (Dallas)

Post by FIFTY »

It finally happened, I got pulled over for the first time while carrying yesterday in Highland Park. This is one of the "Park Cities" inside Dallas, the SMU area for those that are familiar.

I was headed to Love Field on Mockingbird Lane and was clocked going 48 in a 30. I normally never speed in the Park Cities because they have a reputation for strictly enforcing speed limits. Unfortunately on this afternoon I did not realize that I had not yet crossed back into the city of Dallas again where I thought I could step on it a little to make it to the airport, and sure enough H.P.P.D. was waiting for me. I started the normal drill (pulling well off of road, hazard lights clicked on, hands at top of steering wheel, etc).

Officer walked up and started with "Sir I pulled you over this afternoon because..."

"Officer I'm not sure how this will affect the stop, but I do have a CHL and have my colt in the center console" (I name-dropped on the Colt thinking maybe I'd get lucky enough to be pulled over by a fellow colt fan :cool: )

Officer: Ok, I still need your drivers license and insurance please

I told him before I reached for my back pocket to retrieve the DL and CHL, then told him that the insurance was in the glove box, but there were no weapons inside with it. He seemed uninterested and not uncomfortable whatsoever.

I handed him my information, he went back to his car to run my information and, unfortunately, write me my ticket.

He thanked me for my cooperation and I was on my way to the airport...still late. Overall I think it was a positive encounter. The officer was very professional and did not ask a single question about my weapon inside the car, simply glanced over the CHL.

Now I've just got to scrape up the money to pay for deferred adjudication... $250 will put a dent in a college student's budget! :sad:

308nato
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 308nato »

That goes to show folks just because you have a CHL its not a get
out of a ticket card as some expect.

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

:shock: $250 .....

Sorry man, that is a chunk of scratch. Like you said though, it was a 'positive' encounter and sounds like both parties handled it well.
NRA Benefactor Member

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

It may be best to not interrupt him when he tells you why he's pulling you over.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Topic author
FIFTY
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FIFTY »

Venus I agree completely, sorry I didn't make that very clear. I intended to say that he gave the first line of why he pulled me over, and asked for DL and insurance. It was right before I reached for my DL and CHL that I informed him.

California

Post by California »

Well you'll almost never get out of anything in Highland Park or University Park. They have revenue to make to help keep the city beautiful.
When I went through the academy many years ago now, there were a few from Highland Park and University Park in my class, and they seemed to already have the more stuck up attitude associated with those cities.
I'm not saying all or even a majority of them are like that, but that was my impression and with dealing with people from that area previously and since then I get the "Better than you" vibe from a lot of people out of those cities.

Jeff B.

Re: Highland Park PD (Dallas)

Post by Jeff B. »

FIFTY wrote:...and, unfortunately, write me my ticket.

He thanked me for my cooperation and I was on my way to the airport...still late.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I had a similar instance (rushing while late) in Flower Mound, and got a nice 58 in a 45. Very professional stop, unfortunately, he wasn't of a mind to give a warning. :sad:

But, I was speeding, and had allowed myself to be delayed... It was on me, and the officer had his job to do.

I'll keep your post in mind in the next week or two when I'm heading to Love Field!

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”