rusk county stop

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
smyrna
Posts in topic: 2

rusk county stop

Post by smyrna »

I was on 322 between Henderson and Gregg County Airport doing 82 in a 70. I had just passed a slower moving vehicle and didn't get back down to 70 when I rounded a curve and met a Rusk County Deputy. He started his U -turn as we met so I immediately went for the shoulder of the road. I had DL, Ins., and CHL in hand as he approached the window. He informed me of my speed as the reason for the stop and began to quiz me. Where are you going...Why so fast...all the while ignoring DL and CHL and Ins. When he realized I was holding the CHL, his demeanor changed to a little more cautious.

He asked if I was armed. I said it was in the glovebox. He asked me to exit the vehicle. We went to the rear of the car and (this is funny) he said, "If I run your DL am I going to find any warrants?" I couldn't help but smirk just a little as I said NO. He looked at the CHL again and said, "Well, I guess you're pretty clean or you wouldn't have this. Hey, I got to meet another deputy, just slow down." And, with that he returned my stuff and left me on the side of the road.

Hey, I'm happy.

Snake Doctor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: rusk county stop

Post by Snake Doctor »

smyrna wrote:Hey, I'm happy.
Grr... Why are you happy? What was the officer's reason for removing you from the vehicle? Not only did it seem unnecessary, but it seems as though he did it strictly because you had a gun in the glove box.

EDIT: After smyrna gave a few more details, I can see where the officer was coming from.
Last edited by Snake Doctor on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Snake Doctor wrote:
Grr... Why are you happy? What was the officer's reason for removing you from the vehicle? Not only did it seem unnecessary, but it seems as though he did it strictly because you had a gun in the glove box.
Maybe...But that why I have it on my person...So if they want me to exit the vehicle, it comes with me...Obviously...

So wherever they conduct their investigation of me, makes no difference...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
smyrna

Post by smyrna »

I'm happy because I didn't get a ticket which I most certainly deserved. And, by the way, I failed to mention in the original post that I didn't have current proof of insurance. I had neglected to put the new card in my wallet. Oops! He could have been a lot less understanding under the circumstances.

As for being "removed" from the car...I can repsect that. He wasn't "horsey" about it or anything. Very professional...I honestly think he was taken aback by the CHL by his reaction. Should he have been? In my case definately not! I read post after post after post of people talking about "sheeple" or the everyday person being in the "white". Should a LEO automatically go to "White" because I produce a CHL? Personally, I've seen some CHLers that made me nervous by virtue of their ability to handle a weapon at a class I attended. I've never been a LEO but I'm sure the major objective of any traffic stop is for the officer to stay in control and live to go home to wife and kids. If he thinks that means putting distance between me and a weapon that he knows about, I gotta respect that.

Was I offended? No. Inconvenienced? Yes.

I realize my thoughts on this issue probably differ dramatically from others...

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Snake Doctor wrote:
Maybe he didn't want to get run over by standing on the side of the road.

medicff0879

Post by medicff0879 »

Wow, that is my old stompin grounds and still is when I go home to my Dads house. I actually had my first ticket on 322 when I was 18 for going 82 in a 70 (right after the speed limit increase LOL!!) I know most of the deputies personally and my cousin is actually a reserve officer awaiting a full time position (could have been him that pulled you over?) Either way, glad to here it was a good experience!!

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

Snake Doctor wrote:

EDIT: After smyrna gave a few more details, I can see where the officer was coming from.
Don't you watch the video's that show vehicles running into police cruisers and the cars that they have stopped.

Getting everyone over to the side helps to eliminate possible injury's during the stops.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I personally would prefer to do the investigation with all of us out of the vehicles and way over away from the vehicles as possible on the shoulder...

That way if it happens, we stand there going... :shock:

And not :ack: "dead"...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”