Lying to police officers

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Renegade

Re: Lying to police officers

Post by Renegade »

carlson1 wrote:
Renegade wrote:
carlson1 wrote: Enough said. Thanks Mcub you are correct. You must give your name!
No he is not, but if that is what you want to believe, I am OK with it.
Ok I can take the correction - If the Peace Officer has Probable Cause then you have identify yourself. I was under the impression of a traffic stop, suspicious person call, etc. . .
The statute specifically states only if lawfully arrested are you required to provide your name, residence, DOB.

This seems to be a very misunderstood portion of the law.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

Renegade wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
Renegade wrote:
carlson1 wrote: Enough said. Thanks Mcub you are correct. You must give your name!
No he is not, but if that is what you want to believe, I am OK with it.
Ok I can take the correction - If the Peace Officer has Probable Cause then you have identify yourself. I was under the impression of a traffic stop, suspicious person call, etc. . .
The statute specifically states only if lawfully arrested are you required to provide your name, residence, DOB.

This seems to be a very misunderstood portion of the law.
Or Detained - this is also a confused point. Senario #1 you are standing at the bus top waiting on the bus and the police pulls up and says, "what is your name?" You have no law to cause you to give that information.
Senario #2 there was a drive off from a gas station and your car matches the description and you are pulled over (now detained) you say John Doe and your real name is Jane Doe then it is a crime. etc. . . THAT IS WHAT I SEE . . . What Say Ye?

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

carlson1 wrote: Senario #2 there was a drive off from a gas station and your car matches the description and you are pulled over (now detained) you must give your name, etc. . . THAT IS WHAT I SEE . . . What Say Ye?
Bad example because if you are driving you have to show your DL. try these:

Example 1: You are walking down street waving gun at passing cars. LEO arrests you, asks for your DL. You decline to provide. Crime? NO. Law does not require you to show photo ID or DL if not related to driving.

Example 2: You are walking down street waving gun at passing cars. LEO arrests you, ask for your name. You decline. Crime? Yes. If arrested, you are required to provide your name, address, and DOB.

Example 3: You are walking down street and there is a report of maniac pointing guns at cars. You fit description. LEO lawfully detains you, asks for your name. You refuse. Crime? NO. You are not required to give name if lawfully detained.

Example 4: You are walking down street and there is a report of maniac pointing guns at cars. You fit description. LEO lawfully detains you, asks for your name. You make one up. Crime? Yes, if lawfully detained, you may NOT give false of fictitious name.

Example 5: You are at State Fair watching Big Tex when LEO comes over and makes conversation. LEO asks you for your name and phone to call you for a date. You make up a false or fictitious name and phone number and give it to LEO. Crime? NO. You were not lawfully arrested, detained, or witness to crime so you are free to lie to LEO about your name.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm locking this thread. I posted a notice that we were replacing the "10 Year Old Daughter Rule" with specific forum rules. My post also included an explanation for the change, as well as the new rules.

As noted in Rule 11, we are lenient on off-topic posts, but LEO Contacts & Bloopers has been a problem area and we are going to take a much narrower view of posts in this section.

Unfortunately, only 101 people out of 2100 members have viewed my post, so I suspect many people are not aware of the change. Here is the new rule on LEO posts:
Forum Rule 11: wrote:11. Off-topic posts/threads: We do not have an off-topic forum because they tend to cause the most problems for any board. We have gotten rather lenient in allowing off-topic posts, but this has become a problem in recent months. At this point, we are not going to prohibit off-topic posts, but please observe these guidelines. Off-topic posts must be at least remotely related to one of the topics listed in the titles of the sub-forums or their descriptions. This does not apply to prayer requests or LEO Bloopers, but it does apply to LEO Encounters. If a LEO encounter didn't involve a CHL matter, then don't post it. (This has been one of our more troublesome subjects in recent months.) We will continue to evaluate the off-topic post issue in the coming months.
Here is a link to the new Forum Rules

Chas.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”