APD

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Texican_gal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texican_gal »

atxgun wrote:I'm kind of surprised to read this. I live in Austin and have found the cops to be some of the most reasonable out there.
See this quote from original post: "Worked in some drug enforcement section of the police."

The officer could have been high on cocaine, crank, or some other powder. Not intentionally, but if you handle drugs, or are in an environment where there are powdered drugs, they can end up in your system.

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

You reported you were weaving in your own lane ,I don't know about MV laws in TX but in KS when i was in LE failure to maintain a straight line of travel was pc to stop and ticketable as in you were possibly DUI,vehicle was unsafe to drive on the road or you were just slow dancing swaying to the music,either way that is the behaviour that got you noticed ,but i agree LEO was way out of line if he got that angry over a traffic stop,I do disarm sometimes when i absolutely have to go in a posted building but either make sure nobody can see me reholster or wait til i'm in the vehicle with door shut to reholster.If LEO exhibits that kind of behaviour in his normal contact with the public i'm sure there are probably reports on it.Oh yeah i'm a lefty so weapon is on doorside

atxgun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by atxgun »

Texican_gal wrote:
atxgun wrote:I'm kind of surprised to read this. I live in Austin and have found the cops to be some of the most reasonable out there.
See this quote from original post: "Worked in some drug enforcement section of the police."

The officer could have been high on cocaine, crank, or some other powder. Not intentionally, but if you handle drugs, or are in an environment where there are powdered drugs, they can end up in your system.
Talk about one heck of a workplace hazard. At the same time, some amount in his system, sure I can believe that but I find it harder to believe it would be sufficient to seriously affect him.

Are there any LEO's reading this that have "accidentally" gotten high by breathing the air in a crack house or pulling some blow out someones pocket?

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

atxgun wrote:Are there any LEO's reading this that have "accidentally" gotten high by breathing the air in a crack house or pulling some blow out someones pocket?
I have never heard of it happening in anything other than the movies, but I can't rule it out either. I know that we are constantly trying to teach rookies how NOT to handle drugs. Rubber gloves at all times near any drugs, and the only time anything other than dinner gets taste tested is in the movies.
Steve Rothstein

McKnife

Post by McKnife »

Are you going to post his info? I'd like to know his name and physical description.

I frequent Austin and know many on the force, but doesn't sound like anyone I know.

Please elaborate.
:coolgleamA:

rm9792
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rm9792 »

AEA wrote:It's just not worth it to mess with someone's career on a single incident.

If you think he was yelling at you for the stop and your gun,......what do you think he might do after he gets a reprimand or worse from his department? Some people hold grudges and I certainly would not want to be on the receiving end of this Guy over getting your feelings hurt on one occasion.

Words were said, nobody got shot, leave it at that.
I say it is. If he is this out of control then he at minimum needs more training and a psych exam. If he holds a grudge then he should be fired for that. He could very easily have pulled the trigger being that excited. I bet you dinner his trigger handling was nil.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
1) When you say "tuckable", do you mean behind or in front of the gun?

2) Got a link to one so I can see what they look like and how they work?

3) If the shirt tucks in front (i.e. concealing) the gun, the gun will still be exposed during the transition to untucked mode, right?

That sounds like failure to conceal to me.
I have a Galco SkyOps or SkyMarshal, and a Galco Summer Special. Both tuck between the holster and clip. And I can untuck quite easily without exposing.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Wow, this is freaky.
I'm wondering how many here would have attempted to defend themselves before he flashed his badge?

Based on his behavior, I would have been inclined to believe that this was an imposter, and I may have acted on this inclination.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Jason73

Post by Jason73 »

The officer sounds like he was borderline out of control. To not report him could be putting someone's life at risk because the next time he is road raging, or whatever else had his bvd's in a bunch, he may cross that fine line and blow some innocent person's head off just because he is having a bad day - I would absolutely report him!

That anyone would tolerate this behavior from a public SERVANT and do nothing about it boggles my mind. Imo, this is part of the reason this country is falling apart, because so many wont stand up for their RIGHTS anymore. Once our rights are gone theyre gone for good - have a nice day.

(let the flaming begin)

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

I don't have a problem with jhutto letting this go as it is HIS decision.

In same situation, I believe I would have called 911 right there as soon as I felt it was safe.

My reasons basically are the same ones listed that the officer involved acted WAY out of bounds and his department NEEDS to be informed so they can investigate and correct his behavoir before he hurts someone.

And someone a little more situationally aware might have dropped the hammer on him when he came out of his truck with gun in hand.......
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

Hold the phone guys! As a former LEO I have a slightly different perspective here. I will not defend the guy not having his emotions in check, but he is an LEO, he sees a subject with a weapon, there is not an LEO in the nation that will not approach a known armed person without his gun drawn as well.
Now what he should have done is called for back up for two reasons, 1- he is confronting a person he knows is armed, and 2 he is in plain clothes he should have requested a marked unit to assist.

NAK

Post by NAK »

I am not a LEO and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night, but I did spend almost 20 years in EMS/Fire and have good friends that are LEOs. The behavior describing is scary, but is it how this guy always is or was he wound unusually tight that day? A formal complaint could be a carrier ender for someone that is really a good guy.

He provided a business card, so determining who his supervisor is should be fairly simple. If it was me, I would call the supervisor, be extremely polite, and explain that I was not calling to file a formal complaint, but would just like to bring his behavior to someones attention. If his supervisor was civil , I would let it go.

zeroskillz

Post by zeroskillz »

Wow. If I had been in a similar situation, unless I saw a badge right away, I hope my hand would have been on my gun, and that probably wouldn't end well.

that's pretty scary.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

NAK wrote:The behavior describing is scary, but is it how this guy always is or was he wound unusually tight that day? A formal complaint could be a carrier ender for someone that is really a good guy.
And we can tell that how in the few seconds you need to make a decision? He is lucky the CHL holder wasnt a quick draw or he could be dead. There is simply no excuse for the officers behaviour. Maybe he was hyped on adrenaline or having a bad day but dead is dead. You dont walk up on someone with a gun drawn in plain clothes like that without backup or some better plan.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

And this thread is about what???

I remember the OP's encounter, and yet even though I think it was a bad scene...This thread has taken off into the twilight zone...

I'll endeavor to persevere, but I'm not so sure about riding this particular wave...

Hopefully I didn't rock the boat too much here... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”