APD

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jhutto
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jhutto »

it is a tucker answer.... ok tucked or untucked

austin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by austin »

Another take away from this is that you did not see him approach you either when his vehicle followed you or when he exited his vehicle.

That's what I would be most concerned about.

As for holsters, if you do a tuckable, perhaps a better option would be a shoulder holster of some sort inside your shirt.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

srothstein wrote: Overall, it might not be a bad idea to make an informal call to the APD IA and let them know the basics and see what their policy on off duty or unmarked car traffic stops is. If they sound interested, you can tell them all of the details. If not, you can decide how in depth you want to go.
Ha..ha.... I agree. Just make sure to do it from a pay phone. :lol:
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

G.A. Heath wrote: I personally agree with the advice given by srothstein. I would also like to point out to frankie that there are tuckable IWB holsters on the market, infact my favorite (read most functional and comfortable) holster is a cheap tuckable IWB that cost about $50 less than my other holsters.
1) When you say "tuckable", do you mean behind or in front of the gun?

2) Got a link to one so I can see what they look like and how they work?

3) If the shirt tucks in front (i.e. concealing) the gun, the gun will still be exposed during the transition to untucked mode, right?

That sounds like failure to conceal to me.
G.A. Heath wrote: If this guy was an officer, and not someone with a CHL badge, or similar, playing cop probably violated his department's procedures. If this guy was not an officer then APD needs to know about it ASAP.
And if I were going to tell APD about it, I'd make sure to do it from a pay phone. And I wouldn't stay on the line more than a couple of minutes.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Lucky45 wrote:I say file a complaint. If he saw your firearm briefly when you exited your car, then that is not intentionally failure to conceal. So get his attitude checked quick.
Are you volunteering to pick up jhutto's legal bills if need be?

I'm not.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Just FYI, many pay phones are under surveillance of video camera, and people have been caught making threatening phone calls from them.

Probably wouldn't happen if you were complaining about an officer; but if you're going to be cautious, make sure all your bases are covered.

- Jim

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

seamusTX wrote:Just FYI, many pay phones are under surveillance of video camera, and people have been caught making threatening phone calls from them.

Probably wouldn't happen if you were complaining about an officer; but if you're going to be cautious, make sure all your bases are covered.

- Jim
Maybe an "Al Qaeda Special" cellpnone would be better. I mean the kind that you buy outright with prepaid minutes. :lol:

They could triangulate you to within around 100 yds in a few minutes, but that should be enough time.

You could even give them the number so they could call you back.

Just be aware that they could triangulate your position given enough time (a few minutes once they set up for it).

Topic author
jhutto

Post by jhutto »

"Are you volunteering to pick up jhutto's legal bills if need be?"
I am just asking for opinions here guy's, not legal opinions. No need to worry.

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answer.html
I reccomend it 100%, no you do not have to expose the gun to untuck the shirt... I just must have pulled it up a bit to far, or he guessed right, I am not sure.

I agree it may cause more harm to me to report him. I am going to just let it go this time. I am sorry to all those who may be harassed due to my lack of action. I am just going to let my rights be erroded away. I can't afford to go to court. Really, I do feel bad about letting it slide. I feel like it is my duty to stand up for OUR rights, but what's a guy to do. Frankly if he will pull a gun on me what's keeping him from planting "evidence". he works in the drug department after all. Certainly it is not his ethics.

Thanks for the responce.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

jhutto wrote: http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answer.html
I reccomend it 100%, no you do not have to expose the gun to untuck the shirt... I just must have pulled it up a bit to far, or he guessed right, I am not sure.
So how do you tuck it? Does your shirt slip behind the two belt hooks on the far right and left (and in front of the gun)? If so, this looks tricky to do in close quarters. Untucking a tucked shirt looks a little easier. But if you lift it too high you're gonna flash the gun.

My guess is that the cop got a glimpse of it and grossly over-reacted. But you could create a lot of problems for yourself if you pushed it.

I predict that this cop is going to get himself into trouble someday. It's too bad that it will be at the expense of some other victim - that he can't be stopped now.

Meanwhile, be more careful to keep your gun concealed at all times.

Lucky45
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lucky45 »

Ok jhutto,
Since you are going to let this slide and not try my motto; I just have one question. In the original post, you said that you had given him your CHL and during your conversation later he said that he was going to report the incident to the Licensing Bureau. Did he ask for or write down any of your CHL and DL info???? If so, do you think that you might be getting any communications from the CHL Bureau in regards to your CHL status??? If no info taken, then just forget about my question. But remember my motto, " If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything."

P.S. I just took a look at your Tucker holster, and I also have those belt clips on my IWB holster. I wear my shirt tucked in when I wear a black suit at an event and know I have to take off my jacket at sometime. To me, walking around in a jacket after everyone else removed theirs, is a tell to me that you are trying to hide something. My shirt is tucked in between the gun and my pants waistline. The clip is hanging on the pants waistline and the hook is under the belt. You can hardly see the edge of the hook if you are wearing a black belt either. Then I just baggy/flop out the shirt a bit and it is "INVISIBLE." And when wearing a Polo shirt, then I'm just untucked and hanging.
Last edited by Lucky45 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I don't see anything in the original report that would be a basis for suspension or revocation. You can pore over GC 411.186 and 187 and see if I missed something.

- Jim

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:1) When you say "tuckable", do you mean behind or in front of the gun?

2) Got a link to one so I can see what they look like and how they work?
There are a significant number of shirt-tuckable IWB holsters on the market. In general, they have belt or pant clips that have a deep trough between the anchor point of the clip(s) on the belt and the attachment to the holster. This allows a shirt to be tucked inside that trough, covering the gun and holster and leaving only the clips exposed. Here are some examples:

An animated GIF showing the Comp-Tac Minotaur used as a tuckable: http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/images/ ... Hiding.gif

The Comp-Tac C-T.A.C., showing the three-plus inches of tuckable space between the top of the clips and the holster attachment point: http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product ... ucts_id=61

The Galco "Ultra Deep Cover" with a single, thin clip: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?Pr ... atalogID=7

The HBE Leatherworks "DC Tuckable": http://www.imageseek.com/hbeleather/gal ... le/40b_115

The Fist #22 "Secret System" holster (with a video link on the page): http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/22.htm

The Mitch Rosen "Workman" (third from top): http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/ ... _line.html

The Milt Sparks "Versa Max 2"; is a tuckable when used with the optional Kydex clips: http://www.miltsparks.com/VM-2.htm

Tucker Gunleather (the Answer, the Texas Heritage, and the "Cover-Up" models are all tuckable: http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/iwbholsters1.html
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
jhutto

Post by jhutto »

"I don't see anything in the original report that would be a basis for suspension or revocation. You can pore over GC 411.186 and 187 and see if I missed something. "

2nd
I do not believe I did anything illegal. I do not believe anyone would try to procecute this, but I do have a lawyer. he seems to believe I was an aggravated assut victim. but I am just going to let it drop unless things continue.

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boomerang »

AEA wrote:It's just not worth it to mess with someone's career on a single incident.
That sounds like a decision for the department. They're in a better position than you, me or jhutto to know whether this was an isolated incident or a part of a pattern of behavior, and then determine the appropriate action.

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

I'm kind of surprised to read this. I live in Austin and have found the cops to be some of the most reasonable out there.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”