Posses

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DoubleJ »

They hang'em, I reckon...
;-)

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skipper5 »

When we lived in AZ....my Dad was a Deputy in the Maricopa (Phoenix area+) County posse ...they had general posse members, horseback, jeep and air. My dad was in the air posse...mostly looking for persons lost in the desert, prisoner excapees, animal control and/or trouble with round-ups. They were all commissioned Peace Officers-Reserve in the State of AZ during their volunteer service. Between meetings and or time in the field...a total of 10 hours per month required service. Most of them put in five times or more that than each month over the years.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

CHL/LEO

Post by CHL/LEO »

I have seen officers on the "Dashboard Cam" type TV shows requesting civilian assistance to help hold down a resisting suspect they were trying to handcuff, when back-up wasn't close by. I'd suspect that's the most common (even if it's not very common at all) invocation of the authority granted by this law.
Been there and done that. I wouldn't hesitate to ask a citizen to help out if there were no other LEO resources available or on scene and I needed help.

There have been occasions when I've been driving late at night and have witnessed a lone LEO on a traffic stop with multiple occupants out of the car. I've pulled over and waited until another unit arrived, or the traffic stop was over, just in case they needed some assistance. It's a very lonely feeling when it's just you and a car load of people on a late night stop and your nearest cover is quite a distance off.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I've done it before. A rodeo clown helped me arrest a guy.

I will give another example. Goose Creek CISD does not allow their security officers to break up fights or physically restrain them. The head security guard (i hesitate to use the word chief) had instructed two of them at a high school not to get involved.

The SRO at the school said if he needed them, he would call on them, and she said they would not. He was able to show her the law and explain they were required by law, regardless of what a policy said.
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Baytown wrote:
A rodeo clown helped me arrest a guy.
But was he in uniform? :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

No, he was "off-duty".
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Will938

Post by Will938 »

Baytown wrote:No, he was "off-duty".
Did he distract them for you?

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Baytown wrote:I've done it before. A rodeo clown helped me arrest a guy.
I'd have to think that a rodeo clown is right up there with a chiropractor on the list of People I Wouldn't Want to Fight.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I will give another example. Goose Creek CISD does not allow their security officers to break up fights or physically restrain them. The head security guard (i hesitate to use the word chief) had instructed two of them at a high school not to get involved.

The SRO at the school said if he needed them, he would call on them, and she said they would not. He was able to show her the law and explain they were required by law, regardless of what a policy said.
Welcome back!

Chas.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Welcome back!

Chas.
+1 Good to see you posting Brother.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

jbirds1210 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Welcome back!

Chas.
+1 Good to see you posting Brother.
+2 :lol:
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Liko81

Re: Posses

Post by Liko81 »

It's probably invoked after the fact when a person helps take down a suspect (cop yells "Stop that man!" and a civilian obliges). All the police officer has to say is that the officer requested the person's help and the person is assumed from that moment forward to have been acting in an official capacity as an apparent agent of the police, therefore the DA wouldn't press vigilantism charges and the person would be largely immune from civil suit for injuries as a result of the takedown.

I doubt however that a sheriff would have such insufficient forces in his department that he would FORCE anyone to join a posse. If a criminal group gained such force as to be a law unto itself, the sheriff would call in the feds. It certainly is not an issue in major cities; Here in Dallas they could have 2 dozen officers in full SWAT gear outside your door in 15 minutes if someone calls in a hostage situation.

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by seamusTX »

Liko81 wrote:It's probably used as a measure; invoked after the fact when a person helps take down a suspect (cop yells "Stop that man!" and a civilian obliges).
Good point.
Liko81 wrote:I doubt however that a sheriff would have such insufficient forces in his department that he would FORCE anyone to join a posse.
I agree. No one wants reluctant helpers at their back.
Liko81 wrote:It certainly is not an issue in major cities; Here in Dallas they could have 2 dozen officers in full SWAT gear outside your door in 15 minutes if someone calls in a hostage situation.
That's true, but there are many places in the west where the individual cops are 100 miles apart, and that's a long trip even by helicopter.

- Jim

CHL/LEO

Post by CHL/LEO »

Here in Dallas they could have 2 dozen officers in full SWAT gear outside your door in 15 minutes if someone calls in a hostage situation.
More like an hour for SWAT but you would have plenty of Patrol officers there within that time frame if the call was dispatched properly.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

CHL/LEO wrote:
Here in Dallas they could have 2 dozen officers in full SWAT gear outside your door in 15 minutes if someone calls in a hostage situation.
More like an hour for SWAT but you would have plenty of Patrol officers there within that time frame if the call was dispatched properly.
Yeah, Dallas SWAT has to finish busting up poker games first. :mrgreen:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”