Stopped by DPS (State Troopers) - Twice

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 1

Stopped by DPS (State Troopers) - Twice

Post by Jeff B. »

Yesterday, I was stopped twice on the way from El Paso to Midland. The first stop was at MM 127 in Hudspeth County on I-10, the second was on I-20 near Toyah. I was taking me sons F150 Lightning back to Dallas (selling it) which apparently attrected the wrong kind of attention.

Something I did not notice and my son did not mention was that he lost his front plate... I was reminded of that during both stops.

The first stop was a complete surprise, I had the cruise set to 80 (speed limit) and was listening to the radio, when I was surprised to see a DPS car behind me with his lights on! Naturally, I promptly pulled over, put my flashers on, put the car in park, rolled down the passengers window and sat with my hands at the top of the wheel. The officer came up to the passenger side, and stood back sort of by the rear cab pillar until I rolled that window down, when he got a good look at me (pretty dark windows) he moved forward to the open window and asked for my license and insurance. I gave him my license and CHL and told him it was my son truck and I would need to go through the glove box to ge the insurance. He glanced at my license and the CHL, asked if I was carrying (no, as I had flown out on SWA to get the truck), and said OK, sure... He also had another officer (trainee I believe) with him who he gave the license and insurnace to and told him to do a 10-29. From the minute he got a look at me, and scanned my DL & CHL, he was very friendly. We talked about why I was taking the truck back to Dallas , and what a gas pig it was, and that my son (MP @ Bliss) would like the 4Runner he was getting alot better because of the gas mileageand room. He also promptly told me that the clocked me doing 84/80 and that I had no front plate, but that he was not going to ticket me, just issue a warning. All in all, a very professional stop, and positive interaction. Hopefully, the trainee will emulate the SGT doing the training.

The second stop was another 150 miles or so down the road. On the advise of the SGT, who felt the oversize tires were throwing my speedo off a tad, I eased the cruise back about 5 mph, and then some more as I came up on another DPS cruiser. As I passed the cruiser, I waved (didn't think that he probably could not see me though the tint), and passed the officer. About half a mile later, he zoomed up on me, lights goign. Another pull over, same actions, and he also did the passenger side cautious approach. When I rolled the window down, I got the same relaxation and move to the window. He told me I had no front plate, and I told him I had found that out from his compadre down the road and showwed him my warning. He laughed, looked at the warning, and I told him the very short version of the truck. He was also friendly, and just gave the warning back and said, "Have a good day!", and never saked for my insurance or license.

A co-worker who is a retired municipal officer from another state told me that he thought they we looking for someone in a vehcle that matched the description of my truckand pulled me over on the plate pretext to eyeball me. Maybe so... I did see quite a number of cars pulled over on the drive back to Dallas.

Whatever the story was, all three of the officers were very professional and after a minute, friendly. No complaints, except I began to wonder if I was going to get pulled over everytime I saw a police car. Thankfully, I pay enough attention to my surroundings and the posted limits to make a traffic stop a once in a decade occurence, normally.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

It was not the truck that got you stopped, it was the lack of front plate. I doubt DPS was looking for that type of truck. DPS makes lots of no front plate stops.

I am glad the contacts were good. DPS is a fine organization.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

9mmGuy

Post by 9mmGuy »

txinvestigator wrote:It was not the truck that got you stopped, it was the lack of front plate. I doubt DPS was looking for that type of truck. DPS makes lots of no front plate stops.

I am glad the contacts were good. DPS is a fine organization.
i was stopped for this as well, and was given a warning. this was pre-CHL and the officer was very polite and friendly! :cool:

Glad to hear another contact/s went smoothly
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

Bill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bill »

Believe it or not I put my front plate back on today, its been off since 1999, I also got a ticket but had nothing to do with the plate, in fact the officer did not say anything.
He was nice and asked were I was carrying and i told him IWB, he ever said another word.

Later, I went to the station to complain about where they were set up. This was at Campbell and I-10 feeder going east The ticket was failure to turn left, I went straight, this was only a two lane but narrowed down after the intersection. Of course I was not alone. he had a parking lot full of evil lawbreakers.

This is due to the construction and really ticks me off when they set a trap like this. Spring Valley is known as a ticket trap but this is real low. Now Defensive driving :mad:
retired CHL Instructor

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Bill wrote:Believe it or not I put my front plate back on today, its been off since 1999, I also got a ticket but had nothing to do with the plate, in fact the officer did not say anything.
He was nice and asked were I was carrying and i told him IWB, he ever said another word.

Later, I went to the station to complain about where they were set up. This was at Campbell and I-10 feeder going east The ticket was failure to turn left, I went straight, this was only a two lane but narrowed down after the intersection. Of course I was not alone. he had a parking lot full of evil lawbreakers.

This is due to the construction and really ticks me off when they set a trap like this. Spring Valley is known as a ticket trap but this is real low. Now Defensive driving :mad:
How is it a trap? Did the police set up fake construction and confusing signs so they could "get you"?
*CHL Instructor*

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I got pulled over a couple of weeks ago. This is only the second time I have ever been pulled over since i started driving 23 years ago. I saw the trooper parked on the side of the road one noght. He pulled in behind me and hit the lights. I wasn't speeding so I wondered why he ha dpulled me over. Turnsout both my license plate lights were burned out. He gave me a warning and let me go. I htink they look for little infractions like that to pull you over and try and find the larger ones. Anyway, he was friendly and courteous.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

they typically pull people over for "small infractions" so they can make a contact, many of these "small infractions" result in nothing more than a warning. However a lot of the people they pick up for outstanding warrants or DWI are arrested when they are pulled over for a "minor infraction."
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Sometimes they pull drivers over for small things because they are bored. I do what I am talking about.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

txinvestigator wrote:How is it a trap? Did the police set up fake construction and confusing signs so they could "get you"?
It's always a trap; note that the sign specifies "when workers are present."

Now, show me anybody on a construction crew who qualifies as a "worker."

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

KD5NRH wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:How is it a trap? Did the police set up fake construction and confusing signs so they could "get you"?
It's always a trap; note that the sign specifies "when workers are present."
How would I "note" that, I have never been there. By your own admittance, there is a sign, and you have knowledge of it. I don't see a problem.
Now, show me anybody on a construction crew who qualifies as a "worker."
:smilelol5:
*CHL Instructor*

Bill

Post by Bill »

txinvestigator wrote:
Bill wrote:Believe it or not I put my front plate back on today, its been off since 1999, I also got a ticket but had nothing to do with the plate, in fact the officer did not say anything.

How is it a trap? Did the police set up fake construction and confusing signs so they could "get you"?
OK , calling it a trap may be incorrect use of words, but taking advantage of the fact that
1. lanes are narrow, and there is a drop off
2. WB truck are entering and leaving on this segment of road
3. traffic is congested
4. about 50% or more are either law breakers or not seeing, I went back and sat at this intersection just to see how many came through
5. Signs are remarked or reused signs
6. this part of the freeway is changing on a regular and has new signage as well
7.Bunker Hill has similar signage but is not current with the construction at present and has been the case with poor marking
8. The signs are too close to the intersection making almost impossible to merge

Spring Valley has a reputation like Jersey Village and Splendora.
I guess not having any tickets or accidents on my record since got my license in '72 may or may not be any defense in my driving abilities but when at least 50% of the people are making the same mistake maybe it not all the peoples fault

just how I see it :grin:
retired CHL Instructor

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

:thumbsup:

Beside setting up to write tickets in these types of situations just make for more congestion and confusion.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I heard a funny yesterday...

A trooper with Alzhiemers pulled me over the other day...

(trooper) "Do I know why I pulled you over?"

(me) "You own me $20?"

I made $80 on 3 more stops... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't shoot the messenger...It was that Bill Engval comedian...He probably delievered it better anyway...I thought it was funny... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”