A friend messed up

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
barres
Posts in topic: 2

A friend messed up

Post by barres »

I'm trying to find out how badly.

First, the background. This young man grew up in the same church I did. We were in the Youth Group together, though he is a couple of years or so younger than I. I considered him my friend, even though we pretty much lost contact after high school. His family is still a part of my congregation.

He was arrested last week on some drug charges. Some are clear and easy to understand for someone like me who has never been arrested. A couple have me scratching my head. I know we have several LEO's and former-LEO's on this board, so I come to ask for some translation.

Mods, if this is in any way inappropriate, please delete.

His charges show on the Montgomery Co. Jail website as:

MAN DEL SELL/POSS CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE Bond:$10,000
CAPIAS PROFINE/MISD
POSS MARIJ >4OZ<=5LBS Bond: $1500
POSS MARIJ >4OZ<=5LBS Bond: $1500
CAPIAS PROFINE/MISD

Poss Marij >4oz<=5lbs I can understand. Possession of Marijuana in an amount greater than 4oz and less than or equal to 5 lbs. I assume that the first charge is basically manufacture/delivery/selling/possessing a controlled substance. What does CAPIAS PROFINE/MISD mean? And, again, how much trouble has this young man gotten himself into?
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Capias/profine means he has warrants when picked up too. Probably for failing to pay traffic fines.

The Controlled Substance could be a Misd or felony, depending on the substance.

The pot is a state jail felony
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

txinvestigator wrote:Capias/profine means he has warrants when picked up too. Probably for failing to pay traffic fines.

And the MISD means re-filed (I think. Could also be Misdemeanor offense.)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
barres

Post by barres »

txinvestigator wrote:Capias/profine means he has warrants when picked up too. Probably for failing to pay traffic fines.

The pot is a state jail felony
If the pot is a St. Jail Felony and has a bond of $1500, wouldn't a bond of $10k indicate that the Controlled Substance charge is even more serious?

Since he is in the Montgomery Co. Jail, I thought the Capias/profine MISD might have indicated he was near a school in Montgomery (ISD). I didn't even think of it indicating a misdemeanor charge. Previous warrants was not something I expected. I thought this was his first time to run afoul of the law, but maybe it isn't. Or maybe, like you said, they're only traffic fine warrants.

Let's see, St. Jail felonies are punishable by up to 2 years in prison, and there's two counts (or so it appears to me). So he could be looking at 4 years just for those offenses, and the Controlled Substance charge could be even worse (or not). I would never have thought him to be this type of person.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

It is sad to see a person you care about self-destruct.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

jazr45acp

Post by jazr45acp »

txinvestigator wrote:It is sad to see a person you care about self-destruct.
Yes, much like Brittany Spears! Sorry, I just couldn't resist. On a more serious note, it is hard to see someone stumble and fall, but as a friend........a true friend, we ought to be there for them to help them up.
In Christ,

Joel C.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Capias profine is the warrant when you were found guilty of an offense and given some time to pay the fine and did not pay it. It is most common for traffic tickets. The MISD indicates it was a misdemeanor warrant.

The two charges for Marijuana indicate that he was caught more than once and filed on at least once. This most likely means all of the arrests are for warrants where someone has been building a case against him. I would also guess that the $10,000 bond indicates a fairly significant felony charge. Based on the area, I would tend to think he was caught manufacturing meth, which is fairly common. Possession of powdered cocaine is the second choice.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”