They got me.....they thought.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

They got me.....they thought.

Post by flintknapper »

In town this morning doing some Christmas shopping. Taking a shortcut across town I notice two B&W's up ahead with lights on....but no one pulled over.

Both officers were out of their vehicles talking to one another when I passed by.

Immediately they both get in their cruisers and drop in behind me. The lead car lights me up....so I signal and pull over.

Can't imagine the reason for the stop...as I wasn't speeding or doing anything else illegal, but I get my paperwork out, roll down the window and keep my right hand on steering wheel as the officer approaches.

As he gets to the window he says "Oh" and has this puzzled look on his face.

He introduced himself as Officer _______and said the reason he stopped me was because he thought the inspection sticker on my vehicle read a "two" (pointing to the year). I told him "that would mean I hadn't had an inspection in the last 5 years"...and gave him my best "questioning" look.

He apologized for the inconvenience....never looked twice at the CHL or DL and bid me a good day.

Heard him and the other officer chuckling as they returned to their cars. I think this was a case of mistaken identity....because there is another vehicle in town (owned by a college kid) that looks very much like mine. I was only a 1/4 mile from that persons apartment as well.

I think the officer thought he had pulled over the "kid" and instead got an old geezer. :smile:

He was very professional in demeanor (even for a young cop), and a quick thinker too...if you ask me.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

barres
Posts in topic: 1

Re: They got me.....they thought.

Post by barres »

One of the members of my church congregation is also a local police officer. He pulled me over one afternoon and seemed quite taken aback as I said, "Hi, David. What seems to be the problem?" as he walked up to my car. Yup, he misread the Inspection sticker. I have absolutely no reason to think that there was any other reason for the stop. Those numbers are quite small when you're reading them off of a car going by at 20 - 30 mph. And they seem even smaller when the officer is driving in the other direction at the time (as in my story). Cut the officer some slack. He may have actually misread your sticker. :smile:
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

barres wrote:One of the members of my church congregation is also a local police officer. He pulled me over one afternoon and seemed quite taken aback as I said, "Hi, David. What seems to be the problem?" as he walked up to my car. Yup, he misread the Inspection sticker. I have absolutely no reason to think that there was any other reason for the stop. Those numbers are quite small when you're reading them off of a car going by at 20 - 30 mph. And they seem even smaller when the officer is driving in the other direction at the time (as in my story). Cut the officer some slack. He may have actually misread your sticker. :smile:

I'm not "slamming" these guys, I know a good many of the officers on NPD.

I thought it was kinda funny.

I don't believe either one of them could have seen my stickers (or were even looking for them). I came from behind them, they were both out of their vehicles and facing away from me until I got up even with them. I was doing about 45 mph.

I think they were just visiting for whatever reason. There were no other vehicles around, but both cruisers had their strobes on.

I don't really care why they stopped me, it was no inconvenience to me....and the whole affair took less than one minute. I only posted to say they had NO problem with my CHL whatsoever.

Sorry, if this sounded like cop bashing. Not my intent.

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

flintknapper wrote:
barres wrote:One of the members of my church congregation is also a local police officer. He pulled me over one afternoon and seemed quite taken aback as I said, "Hi, David. What seems to be the problem?" as he walked up to my car. Yup, he misread the Inspection sticker. I have absolutely no reason to think that there was any other reason for the stop. Those numbers are quite small when you're reading them off of a car going by at 20 - 30 mph. And they seem even smaller when the officer is driving in the other direction at the time (as in my story). Cut the officer some slack. He may have actually misread your sticker. :smile:

I'm not "slamming" these guys, I know a good many of the officers on NPD.

I thought it was kinda funny.

I don't believe either one of them could have seen my stickers (or were even looking for them). I came from behind them, they were both out of their vehicles and facing away from me until I got up even with them. I was doing about 45 mph.

I think they were just visiting for whatever reason. There were no other vehicles around, but both cruisers had their strobes on.

I don't really care why they stopped me, it was no inconvenience to me....and the whole affair took less than one minute. I only posted to say they had NO problem with my CHL whatsoever.

Sorry, if this sounded like cop bashing. Not my intent.
Gotta agree. I say this not as a jab at LEO's, just what I see. When they are socializing, inside or outside their cars, it is rare to have them chase someone.
I have noticed several times when they are pulled up next to each other and jabbing, and I am speeding, they don't even look at me. Get them alone, and they have ticketed me.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

flintknapper wrote:Heard him and the other officer chuckling as they returned to their cars. I think this was a case of mistaken identity....because there is another vehicle in town (owned by a college kid) that looks very much like mine. I was only a 1/4 mile from that persons apartment as well.
I think it may simply be time for Flint to sell that candy-apple red '67 Corvette, with its 15-inch rear slicks and radical cam, and buy a less-noticeable vehicle. There's only one other nearly-identical car in a four-state area, so of course the officers thought they had the street racer.

Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Skiprr wrote:
flintknapper wrote:Heard him and the other officer chuckling as they returned to their cars. I think this was a case of mistaken identity....because there is another vehicle in town (owned by a college kid) that looks very much like mine. I was only a 1/4 mile from that persons apartment as well.
I think it may simply be time for Flint to sell that candy-apple red '67 Corvette, with its 15-inch rear slicks and radical cam, and buy a less-noticeable vehicle. There's only one other nearly-identical car in a four-state area, so of course the officers thought they had the street racer.

It does NOT have 15" slicks.

And ALL 427's have fairly "radical" cams. ;-)

AR Traveler

Post by AR Traveler »

I wonder if that's why my 69 Camaro with the big block, roll cage, big-n-small protrac's, plus cherry bombs seemed to attract tickets like a magnet :cool: Naaaahh it must have been the burnouts leaving every stoplight I encountered :evil2:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

AR Traveler wrote:I wonder if that's why my 69 Camaro with the big block, roll cage, big-n-small protrac's, plus cherry bombs seemed to attract tickets like a magnet :cool: Naaaahh it must have been the burnouts leaving every stoplight I encountered :evil2:

Of course it was your Camaro, and Flinknapper's Corvette that got the tickets. After all, how many of the officers were driving cars with bowties?

The Mopar cars ruled police work in the 70's and seem to be coming back strong (finally).
Steve Rothstein

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

flintknapper wrote:And ALL 427's have fairly "radical" cams. ;-)
Rumpety-rumpety-rumptety-rump... :cool:
srothstein wrote:The Mopar cars ruled police work in the 70's and seem to be coming back strong (finally).
Best-looking police cars ever were the early '70s Plymouth Furies fielded by the Arkansas State Police, with 440 HiPo motors, and they ran like a scalded dog!

The current Chargers are some tough-looking cars, but I don't think they have the right ergonomics for field work. Too low, tight, and vision-restricted. Time will tell how they work out.

Then again, Chrysler/Dodge has been bought by Cerberus, the same group that makes us worry about the future of Winchester, Remington, H&R, etc.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

srothstein wrote:
AR Traveler wrote:I wonder if that's why my 69 Camaro with the big block, roll cage, big-n-small protrac's, plus cherry bombs seemed to attract tickets like a magnet :cool: Naaaahh it must have been the burnouts leaving every stoplight I encountered :evil2:

Of course it was your Camaro, and Flinknapper's Corvette that got the tickets. After all, how many of the officers were driving cars with bowties?

The Mopar cars ruled police work in the 70's and seem to be coming back strong (finally).

Just to clear things up: Flintknapper does NOT have a corvette and never has. I did have a '69 Jaguar XKE roadster when I was in college...and it earned me many a ticket.

I also have a daughter in school...so a "muscle car" is not in my immediate future. :mrgreen:

The vehicle I was referring to in my original post was a particular 4X4 (of which I have three). I do not own anything "fast" at the moment.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

who needs to run from when you can run over, right?
"rlol"
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

jhearne

Post by jhearne »

flintknapper wrote:

I'm not "slamming" these guys, I know a good many of the officers on NPD...

NPD, trying to figure out the location, Nac? Not many N beginning cities around here, my wife is from there, and her best friend is a Nac County Sheriff's Deputy, about a month with a badge. I have been on quite a few boards but rarely I find people online who actually live within a short drive.

Josh

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

jhearne wrote:
flintknapper wrote:

I'm not "slamming" these guys, I know a good many of the officers on NPD...

NPD, trying to figure out the location, Nac? Not many N beginning cities around here, my wife is from there, and her best friend is a Nac County Sheriff's Deputy, about a month with a badge. I have been on quite a few boards but rarely I find people online who actually live within a short drive.

Josh

Nacogdoches.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”