Merry Chrtmas From the DPS

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Liko81
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Merry Chrtmas From the DPS

Post by Liko81 »

txinvestigator wrote:Most Troopers I know have a 5MPH tolerance for speed limits 70 and up. There are many reasons you may have been warned at 9 over rather than written a ticket. I imagine your CHL had a lot to do with it, but we have also read of people getting cited who have CHLs.

It took him as long to write the warning as it would have a cite.
The troopers I've encountered seem to act in the interest of public safety. If they think a warning will give you the hint to slow down, they'll give a warning. If for some reason they think it'll take a fine to make you slow down, they write a citation. I've been warned for 85 in a 70 by a State Trooper while heading to Lubbock for freshman orientation. I learned quickly that US 84 between Sweetwater and Lubbock is 120 miles of speed trap.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

txinvestigator wrote:Most Troopers I know have a 5MPH tolerance for speed limits 70 and up. There are many reasons you may have been warned at 9 over rather than written a ticket. I imagine your CHL had a lot to do with it, but we have also read of people getting cited who have CHLs.

My Mother-In-Law got a ticket back in early December on her way into Texas. Ticket was for 84 in a 70. Trooper told her if it was 80 or below he could have given her a warning. I think it really is a discretionary measure with them all on if/when they write a warning vs. a ticket since I know others who have gotten off with a verbal even going faster.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txinvestigator »

Keith B wrote:

My Mother-In-Law got a ticket back in early December on her way into Texas. Ticket was for 84 in a 70. Trooper told her if it was 80 or below he could have given her a warning. I think it really is a discretionary measure with them all on if/when they write a warning vs. a ticket since I know others who have gotten off with a verbal even going faster.
Of course it is discretionary. That's why I said, "most troopers I know", AND I was referring to the tolerance for making a stop. :thumbs2:
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
cxm
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cxm »

The DPS manual does not spell out when a trooper can or can't give a warning... it simply says for "minor offences" which covers a lot of ground...

FWIW

Chuck

Keith B wrote:

Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

On most divided interstate highways speeds under 10 mph over do not count against your insurance rates but a ticket 10+ mph over not only costs you a fine but when your insurance company reviews your record you my be surprised at the rate increase.IIRC on undivided 2 lane roads and on a street in the city limits any speedig violation regardless of miles over will count against insurance premiums.Also excessive speed gives an LEO probable cause to stop,and a lot of times a traffic stop can lead to anythng from drug trafficking to other types of evidence the officer may spot during the stop.
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

dukalmighty wrote:On most divided interstate highways speeds under 10 mph over do not count against your insurance rates but a ticket 10+ mph over not only costs you a fine but when your insurance company reviews your record you my be surprised at the rate increase.IIRC on undivided 2 lane roads and on a street in the city limits any speedig violation regardless of miles over will count against insurance premiums.Also excessive speed gives an LEO probable cause to stop,and a lot of times a traffic stop can lead to anythng from drug trafficking to other types of evidence the officer may spot during the stop.
It's not 10MPH, it's >10% of the posted limit that makes the biggest difference...
Reference here
Look under the second question: "How does DRP work?"
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

rbraughn

Post by rbraughn »

Ok, I have seen many Texas DL returns, and they say "speeding"...they don't say how fast, or what type of highway/how many lanes there were. How do the insurance companies know?

(edited to say I see the TLETS law enforcement returns, do insurers have access to different stats)

BTW, gettin a warning for 15 over is lucky :txflag:
Be insensitive....Tell the truth !!

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

RBraughn,

I believe that it does not show up on the TLETS or Insurance rreturns if it is not a moving violation,as defined by the Administrative Code. So DPS will not pu tthe speeding <10% over the limit on the driving record at all. But I cannot verify this. I do not have any but the public contacts in DPS Licensing and Records divisions.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”