Speed traps

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Speed traps

Post by seamusTX »

In thread http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 7&start=60 ...
Odin wrote:If there is indeed a place where a driver only has mere yards to slow from 60mph to 35mph
The state of Texas controls all aspects of traffic signs and signals through laws and regulations. This kind of thing is illegal. That's why you see signs that say "speed zone ahead" or "signal ahead."

I think, if you got a ticket and could show that the signage did not conform to state regulations, you would beat the ticket. (I have never been in that situation.)

- Jim

Odin

Re: Speed traps

Post by Odin »

I agree. I have never seen such a situation, but judges are frequently open to a person's defense for a traffic violation if the person makes a reasonable case.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

My post in another thread:

I think TXDOT requires a huge attaboy for the new signs I've been seeing for the last year or so.

Instead of 'speed zone ahead', they show the upcoming reduced speed with an arrow indicating what's ahead.

That removes the element of surprise.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Liko81

Post by Liko81 »

Mike1951 wrote:My post in another thread:

I think TXDOT requires a huge attaboy for the new signs I've been seeing for the last year or so.

Instead of 'speed zone ahead', they show the upcoming reduced speed with an arrow indicating what's ahead.

That removes the element of surprise.
Haven't seen these yet, but I've definitely seen signage where a speed zone is warned, and from the time you pass that sign you have about two seconds to slow from 70 to 55.

TxD

Post by TxD »

A quick question.
Under Texas law, where does a speed limit begin?
Is it adjacent to the sign or when you can see the sign?
Black Rifles Matter

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

TxD wrote:A quick question.
Under Texas law, where does a speed limit begin?
Is it adjacent to the sign or when you can see the sign?
Neither. It is all dependent on the wording of the ordinance or regulation making the limit. For example, Luling has a city ordinance syaing that the speed limit is 35 mph in the 400 block of E. Pierce St. The limit begins at the curb line that begins the block. The sign obviously cannot be posted right at the corner, so it is some feet inside the limit. But the sign is large enough to be read before you get to the corner, so the actual limit begins at some point between the two you mentioned.

But, as a practical matter, courts generally will rule that the new limit begins at the point the sign is posted at. This is based on when you have notice of the law and can be expected to obey it. At least, this is what I have been taught and how I taught all my officers under me.

Looking it up just now, there is a manual adopted by TXDOT to govern how to place signs. The online version does not have the chapter on regulatory signs and refers you to the print version. Now I will have to go looking for that.
Steve Rothstein

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

I always liked this sign on Quito Road in Saratoga, CA.
"Yes your honor, I was going 20 in a 19 mile per hour zone. :smash:
NRA Endowment Member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

WildBill wrote:"Yes your honor, I was going 20 in a 19 mile per hour zone. :smash:
Reminds me of some of the bizarre speed limits seen on military bases. "7mph", "4mph", "17mph", "No smoking within 51 feet"...

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

There is a reason for those weird limits that are not round numbers. And, believe it or not, you just proved that first part of the reason is correct.

The people making those signs and rules know that we get used to round numbers for limits. They think we will start to disregard them after a while. But putting an unusual number (19, 7, etc.) will draw attention to the sign and get people to remember it. The more you remember the sign, the mor elikely you are to obey the concept. You might not slow down to exactly 19, but you will slow much further down than when the sign says 20.
Steve Rothstein

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

srothstein wrote:There is a reason for those weird limits that are not round numbers. And, believe it or not, you just proved that first part of the reason is correct.

The people making those signs and rules know that we get used to round numbers for limits. They think we will start to disregard them after a while. But putting an unusual number (19, 7, etc.) will draw attention to the sign and get people to remember it. The more you remember the sign, the mor elikely you are to obey the concept. You might not slow down to exactly 19, but you will slow much further down than when the sign says 20.
:iagree: I have driven by that sign for 30+ years and it still gets my attention.
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

srothstein wrote:There is a reason for those weird limits that are not round numbers. And, believe it or not, you just proved that first part of the reason is correct.

You have a great point there. Most folks tend to round up to 5 or 10 over for speeds, and it is easy to do with even numbers. However, you don't round up as easily with odd numbers, or you round up smaller (7mph = 10mph rounded up for 3 over.)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Keith B wrote:You have a great point there. Most folks tend to round up to 5 or 10 over for speeds, and it is easy to do with even numbers. However, you don't round up as easily with odd numbers, or you round up smaller (7mph = 10mph rounded up for 3 over.)
I think that depends on which version of Excel you use, and what your settings are. :lol::
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

srothstein wrote:The people making those signs and rules know that we get used to round numbers for limits. They think we will start to disregard them after a while. But putting an unusual number (19, 7, etc.) will draw attention to the sign and get people to remember it. The more you remember the sign, the mor elikely you are to obey the concept. You might not slow down to exactly 19, but you will slow much further down than when the sign says 20.
Once again, I've learned something new here today! :mrgreen:
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

I guess that's also why some organizations start their meetings at, for example, 6:55 pm or 7:12 am.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

LarryH wrote:I guess that's also why some organizations start their meetings at, for example, 6:55 pm or 7:12 am.
Good point!
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”