Reserve Deputy

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Reserve Deputy

Post by Kalrog »

I have been thinking about this for a while now, and I have some very basic information on it, but I was hoping that someone could provide me with information on the local agencies that might have a program like this and what the requirements / responsibilities are. Ideally I am thinking Williamson County Sherrif's Office, Leander or Cedar Park PDs, Constable, or maybe something that I have missed. I have been thinking about doing something like a volunteer fire fighter, but for LEO (I am familiar with that program which is why I use it as an example) and the Reserve Deputy program is what I have heard of that kinda fits that thought - but again I am open to other options. I would guess that I would be mainly doing patrol, but I was hoping that I could get on doing something like cyber crimes as that is what my current experience is in.

Thoughts all? Help please.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reserve Deputy

Post by srothstein »

Almost all of the small town police agencies use reserve officers, as do the county sheriff and constable units. In each case, the department makes its own rules, within what TCLEOSE specifies, for hiring and working. In some cases, you will work on patrol duty only. In some you will not be allowed to patrol on your own. In some, you will be treated just like any other officer. A smart agency will use whatever skills you do have, such as computer analysis and forensics, since they are in shrot supply in most departments.

TCLEOSE will require you to complete a regular police academy (it can be part time at night) and meet all of the same training requirements and hiring requirments as any other officer. TCLEOSE will recognize you as a regular police officer, as does the Code of Criminal Procedure. In addition to the academy, TCLEOSE now requies all officers to go through a field training program, so expect to be working with a partner for several months after you start on the department.

One of the differences in departments is how often they require you to come in and work. Some departments will require one 8 hour shift per week, some require as few as 16 hours per month. Some will not require any regular but will have mandatory special duty assignments you have to work.

I am out of town doing training for the next two weeks, but if you have any other questions I can help with, you can meet me or call with me at the office.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Reserve Deputy

Post by Kalrog »

srothstein wrote:I am out of town doing training for the next two weeks, but if you have any other questions I can help with, you can meet me or call with me at the office.
Thanks, Steve! I'll probably be thinking about this and I might give you that call in 2+ weeks.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”