College Station UPD

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bcperry2000
Posts in topic: 1

Re: College Station UPD

Post by bcperry2000 »

i got pulled over by UPD one time while i was moving into my dorm. i had some antlers in the back of my truck and the cop asked me where my tag was. i told him that it was a deer that i had killed several years ago. he then asked me "how do i know that? how do i know you didn't just kill the deer an hour ago?" i just blew him off because he was being a hard head at that point. then i started thinking....do you have to keep the tag on the antlers? would you mount antlers with a tag on them?

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

bcperry2000 wrote:i got pulled over by UPD one time while i was moving into my dorm. i had some antlers in the back of my truck and the cop asked me where my tag was. i told him that it was a deer that i had killed several years ago. he then asked me "how do i know that? how do i know you didn't just kill the deer an hour ago?" i just blew him off because he was being a hard head at that point. then i started thinking....do you have to keep the tag on the antlers? would you mount antlers with a tag on them?

If the antlers still had the skull base attached....then a cursory glance would reveal if it had been killed recently (skull would not have dried).

If it was antlers only....then it might be more difficult, but there is no requirement for you to leave a "tag" on them except during the hunting season when the "carcass" must be tagged...and proof of sex must remain with the carcass until it reaches it's final destination (processing plant, your home, taxidermist, other). After that, you can do what you wish with the antlers.

You were more accommodating of him than I would have been. Good on ya! :cool:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Penn wrote:Just wondering - why would a current LEO need or want a CHL? From reading various posts, it seems that there are several on this site and I always wondered, but never got around to asking.

EDIT to add: Out of state travel maybe?
Some departments will only allow an officer to carry his department issued service weapon when off duty if carrying under the authority of their LEO status. Having a CHL would give the officer the option to carry any weapon he wants under the authority of the CHL.

I know this is how it is with the U.S. Border Patrol. When off duty, and carrying under their authority as a Border Patrol officer, they can only carry their issued service weapon. I have a buddy who's in the Border Patrol and was complaning that he can't carry his 1911 when off duty unless he gets a CHL.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

chewy555 wrote:Why would they need a CHL if he was on "loan" to another agency?
In case they fail to return him on time; repo work isn't always gentle :biggrinjester:

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

I would have to express serious concern about an officer advising you to leave a weapon concealed on your person in your car when pulled over and asked to exit the car. * If you are carrying on your person, it is, IMHO, very unwise to take your weapon out of your holster or pocket, or wherever, when it is even remotely possible that you are within sight of the officer or his partner. Just to make a movement like that, even to take out your wallet to get your papers, could easily result in your getting out of your car at the point of a gun, or worse, as could a movement toward your glove compartment to get your papers. We must recognize that even officers who have nothing against CHLs can understandably become very nervous when a pulled-over driver reaches around inside his vehicle, no matter why.

A much better, and safer, practice is to just pull over and leave both hands on the steering wheel in sight at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock until advised otherwise by the LEO. This was my practice during my two stops while armed during the many years I have held a CHL, and if I had been invited to get out of my car, which I wasn't, I would have been armed, and he would have learned of my CHL when asked for my papers, and not otherwise.

To be advised by an LEO as you apparently were just invites an undesirable surprise which might under the worst conditions lead to a tragedy.

Jim

* Edit. Again reading your original post, I guess you really did not relate the scenario I irrelevantly chatted on about, but what I said may be of interest anyway. Sorry, Aggie. I can only plead that I put three sons through your alma mater, and that must at least make me a quasi-Aggie myself.

Bart

Post by Bart »

bcperry2000 wrote:i got pulled over by UPD one time while i was moving into my dorm. i had some antlers in the back of my truck and the cop asked me where my tag was. i told him that it was a deer that i had killed several years ago. he then asked me "how do i know that? how do i know you didn't just kill the deer an hour ago?" i just blew him off because he was being a hard head at that point. then i started thinking....do you have to keep the tag on the antlers? would you mount antlers with a tag on them?
Is a hunting license required to pick up shed antlers?
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”