First LEO contact as a CHL, Ft Bend Sherriffs

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
lawrnk
Posts in topic: 4

First LEO contact as a CHL, Ft Bend Sherriffs

Post by lawrnk »

So I'm making a left hand turn across hwy 6 into Kroger when I see a LEO zipping around a right on red (without stopping) onto 6. There is a safe distance between us (or would have been were he not driving so fast without lights or siren), but he lights me up anyways. I pull into the parking lot, and make 3 turns into a parking spot so as not to block traffic. I turn off the car, put the keys on the dash, and before I can put my hands on the wheel, he practically ran from his car and huffily said "thanks for making me test out my brakes tonight!)

I said "I'm sorry, it looked like we had a safe distance, but I could have been mistaken in the dark."

He asks for license and reg, and the first thing that comes out is the CHL. He asks if I have a firearm on me, and I state, "no, I do not." I didn't mention I left the gun at home since I met a friend for a drink. I am not trying to find my insurance in the box, and he states he will be back with my license and I should keep looking. I call my wife, and she removed the insurance card for something at work where she needed to copy it. :mad5

He gets back, and asks "any luck?" I said no, I'm sorry. I have current insurance with "insert name of good ole boy insurance in my town who everyone knows" but I cannot find the card. He gives me a warning for failure to yield, and no insurance. He says very little else.

Now, frankly, I felt strongly he was in the wrong on the yield. He was flying around that corner. He easily could have tied me up in court for the insurance, so I am dang grateful for that. And finally, I credit my CHL for 99% of the reason he did not issue a ticket. Generally speaking, FT Bend Sherriffs are about the finest cops you will ever meet. At least the ones I've met.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First LEO contact as a CHL, Ft Bend Sherriffs

Post by KBCraig »

Tough one. Glad you only got a warning.

I hate the insurance law as currently written and enforced. Too many tickets are written for failure to have proof of insurance, even to people who actually do have insurance (but not proof, as in your case). Yes, you can get the ticket dismissed by proving you had insurance at the time, but it means taking a day to go to the court, plus paying an administrative fee to dismiss.

And, of course, anyone with 5 minutes and a decent printer can create "proof" of insurance where none exists. (I understand that the judge's office usually checks before dismissing, but officers in the field have to rely on the paper they're given.)

CompVest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CompVest »

My question is why did he have time to stop you if he was in such an all fired hurry to get somewhere?
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Topic author
lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

Thanks. I agree, and we have a massive issue with illegals have no insurance as well. I wonder sometimes if it is not time for a 3rd sticker on the window for insurance. The state won't do it since it probably could not be as big a cash cow as registration and inspection already are.

KBCraig wrote:Tough one. Glad you only got a warning.

I hate the insurance law as currently written and enforced. Too many tickets are written for failure to have proof of insurance, even to people who actually do have insurance (but not proof, as in your case). Yes, you can get the ticket dismissed by proving you had insurance at the time, but it means taking a day to go to the court, plus paying an administrative fee to dismiss.

And, of course, anyone with 5 minutes and a decent printer can create "proof" of insurance where none exists. (I understand that the judge's office usually checks before dismissing, but officers in the field have to rely on the paper they're given.)
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Topic author
lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

CompVest wrote:My question is why did he have time to stop you if he was in such an all fired hurry to get somewhere?

Don't know. I didn't ask. ;-)

I do notice that Ft. Bend will drive very fast and aggressively, no turn signals, etc. I don't report them for 2 reasons.
1. I've never met one that wasn't an awesome guy.
2. I don't figure there is really a good anonymous way to do it, and I don't want to get on some hate list :lol:
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

lawrnk wrote:I wonder sometimes if it is not time for a 3rd sticker on the window for insurance.
You have to have insurance to get a registration or inspection sticker.

Part of the problem is that people pay for one month's insurance and then drop it. I've heard rumors of requiring the insurance companies to report dropped policies to the state, and tying that information into the driver license database.

Nobody goes to jail for lacking insurance, so just like with "gun control" the problem will not be solved through more laws.

- Jim

locknload

Post by locknload »

lawrnk wrote:Thanks. I agree, and we have a massive issue with illegals have no insurance as well. I wonder sometimes if it is not time for a 3rd sticker on the window for insurance. The state won't do it since it probably could not be as big a cash cow as registration and inspection already are.
My husband was hit by an illegal, who pulled onto the feeder road from work at Cheddar's Restaurant. She told him, "But I stopped," as if that was good enough. She told him that the car belonged to someone else, so she didn't know where the insurance was. She also said that she was illegal. He got the vehicle plate and VIN numbers. When he talked to the local Police, they said that most of the time, they don't even write tickets for them anymore, because they fail to show up in court and just change their name, so they are untraceable. He also said that, if they do show up and pay the fine, they peal off $100 bills from big wads of cash. Others claim to be illegal, who aren't, because they know that the illegals can get out of the penalties. :mad5

Years ago, they would simply go to the kiosks at Fiesta or the flea markets on Sundays and buy a Birth Certificate that says that they were born in some place in Texas, where the County Seat or the Hospital has burned down. Now, they have New Orleans. The information is unverifiable. They take the fake BC to the Social Security office, and get a real SS Card. With those two documents, they can get a real Drivers' License and register to vote. Then, when they are stopped, they say that they are illegal - the truth. They get the best of both worlds. :totap:

The lawn men make between $36,000 - $50,000 per year, tax free! They also get free schooling and lunches and breakfast for their kids, free groceries, free housing, free medical, free utilities (yes, that's where that $1 you add goes), pay no taxes or insurance, etc. The Mexican gov't. tells them NOT to become citizens and instructs them on how to get these goodies, once they are here, as US citizens cannot have all of this, as our income is reported by our employer and attached to our SS#, and this amount would be considered too high to qualify for benefits. :headscratch

Now, to my question: How can I become illegal? :banghead:

Topic author
lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

locknload wrote:
lawrnk wrote:Thanks. I agree, and we have a massive issue with illegals have no insurance as well. I wonder sometimes if it is not time for a 3rd sticker on the window for insurance. The state won't do it since it probably could not be as big a cash cow as registration and inspection already are.
My husband was hit by an illegal, who pulled onto the feeder road from work at Cheddar's Restaurant. She told him, "But I stopped," as if that was good enough. She told him that the car belonged to someone else, so she didn't know where the insurance was. She also said that she was illegal. He got the vehicle plate and VIN numbers. When he talked to the local Police, they said that most of the time, they don't even write tickets for them anymore, because they fail to show up in court and just change their name, so they are untraceable. He also said that, if they do show up and pay the fine, they peal off $100 bills from big wads of cash. Others claim to be illegal, who aren't, because they know that the illegals can get out of the penalties. :mad5

Years ago, they would simply go to the kiosks at Fiesta or the flea markets on Sundays and buy a Birth Certificate that says that they were born in some place in Texas, where the County Seat or the Hospital has burned down. Now, they have New Orleans. The information is unverifiable. They take the fake BC to the Social Security office, and get a real SS Card. With those two documents, they can get a real Drivers' License and register to vote. Then, when they are stopped, they say that they are illegal - the truth. They get the best of both worlds. :totap:

The lawn men make between $36,000 - $50,000 per year, tax free! They also get free schooling and lunches and breakfast for their kids, free groceries, free housing, free medical, free utilities (yes, that's where that $1 you add goes), pay no taxes or insurance, etc. The Mexican gov't. tells them NOT to become citizens and instructs them on how to get these goodies, once they are here, as US citizens cannot have all of this, as our income is reported by our employer and attached to our SS#, and this amount would be considered too high to qualify for benefits. :headscratch

Now, to my question: How can I become illegal? :banghead:
Was this the Cheddars near beltway 8 and westheimer? If so, it was amazing the problem we had in that area. I lived @ Walden of Westchase apartments before I was married. It is sad. Perry has done some good, but he seems to be completely against enforcing our immigration laws.

Regarding the "I stopped" is sad and amusing. So often (and I've seen 3 incidents) where they do not stop. They simply run.
Heck, once I was on a Metro and we got rear ended. The guy pulled around us and got stuck in traffic. I asked the bus driver to open the door, got the license plate, and got back in. I asked the driver the next day what happened, and he stated the guy was illegal, and had no insurance.

While I am insanely disturbed by the flood of illegals, I blame the legislators and PC civil servants who are afraid to offend. No one should be surprised that illegals who want to get a 10x pay raise will come over here. Oklahoma KNOWS what to do, and did it. If only Perry would get the courage and cut off the head of the snake...the businesses who knowingly hire illegals.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

First LEO contact as a CHL, Ft Bend Sherriffs was the topic how did we get to Illegals and insurance? Gentle hint to head back toward the topic. Thanks
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 »

Good to hear your encounter was a positive one and it makes this soon to be FBC jailor and future patrol officer proud to be associated with them. ;-)
Peace Officer

striker55

Post by striker55 »

seamusTX wrote:
lawrnk wrote:I wonder sometimes if it is not time for a 3rd sticker on the window for insurance.
You have to have insurance to get a registration or inspection sticker.

Part of the problem is that people pay for one month's insurance and then drop it. I've heard rumors of requiring the insurance companies to report dropped policies to the state, and tying that information into the driver license database.

Nobody goes to jail for lacking insurance, so just like with "gun control" the problem will not be solved through more laws.

- Jim
I got rear ended by a 19 yr old girl who was driving her dad's car uninsured. He purchased insurance just to put plates on it then canceled his insurance, just wanted to park it in his driveway without having it towed (so he said). He paid all damages in cash.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

You were lucky the guy was honest.

- Jim

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”