Traffice Stops

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gregthehand
Posts in topic: 3

Traffice Stops

Post by gregthehand »

I noticed nobody has posted in this forum for a few days which is good news, but I thought I would go through some stops I have had, plus the one I had Friday night. These have all been since I have gotten my CHL in late 2005.

Stop 1 -
Who: Texas State Trooper
Where: Hwy 30 around Carlos driving back from College Station.
When: November 2006
Why: Speeding 80ish in a 60
How (was I carrying): I had just been to dinner with various head honcho types from Houston so I was carrying my Kel-Tec .380 in my pocket and I had my Kimber Pro-Carry .45 in the center console with extra mags.
Result: I got a warning and he told me I was getting one as soon as he saw ID, CHL, etc. We talked a little about this and that and I was on my way. He never diarmed me.

Stop 2 -
Who: Huntsville Police
Where: Huntsvegas, TX /University Ave near that Smoothie King (for those who know the area)
When: Around January (I think)
Why: Speeding 40ish in a 30 mph
How (was I carrying): I wasn't. I was on my way to Don Rafa's with some buds after a class and we would be drinking. The guy who was not going to drink did not have a CHL. I did however have my RRA AR-15 entry underneath the back seat as I had just bought it and had not taken it out of my truck yet.
Result: We had worked with some of the same people so he let it slide.

Stop 3
Who: Jefferson Parish Sherrif's Department (Plain clothes unit)
Where: Harvey, LA /MacArthur at Patriot
When: June 2007
Why: Suspicous Activity. I had left my shop and was driving down the road and thought to myself that I had not made sure the front door to the office was locked. We were in a high burglary prone area so I thought it best to make sure. I turned around confirmed that it was and then headed back the way I had just been. This cop noticed it and decided to pull me over and see why a truck with TX plates was driving back and forth in the area.
How (was I carrying): Sig 220 SAO in a Comp Tac IWB holsted with a spare mag in a comp tac pouch on the weak side.
Result: Very short stop. I got out with him and showed him my ID, CHL, insurance, etc. He explained why he had pulled me over and I told him who I worked for etc. He looked at my insurance card and kind of held it where I could see it and said "I guess a burglar wouldn't have those cars, and work for the people you work for would he?" (My insurance has 5 vehicles on it ranging from my Chevrolet truck to my Mom's Jaguar and Lexus and my Dad's Nissan Titan and Murrano) He did look at my CHL but didn't even ask if I was carrying, which if he was it was a pocket or ankle gun.

Stop 4 -
Who: Grimes Country Sherrif's Dept
Where: Hwy 30 around Carlos driving back from Louisiana to College Station.
When: Last Friday (3-8-08)
Why: Speeding 76 in a 60 (Company truck this time)
How (was I carrying): Long road trip (7-8 hr drive) so I once again had the Kel-Tec .380 in the pocket and the Kimber Pro-Carry .45 in the center console :woohoo .
Result: She made her approach, asked if I was carrying. I had pulled way off the road (I always do) and was worried I might get stuck. I told her not to worry as trucks sold in deep South Louisiana are made to float and I was 5 mins away from my destination so I could get pulled out by one of my friends no problem. We had a little conversation about this and that and she said she would be right back with my warning. Oh yeah I did have to gun it to get back on the road but made it thanks to good ole BF Goodwrench Rough Terrains (just had them put on, and might I add the tires GM was using for original equipment in 2006 were/are junk. General Tire I believe).

As someone who has done traffic stops I think this really helps me on mine. I always pull way over or get off the road all together, roll down all of my windows, turn on my dome light, and all my stuff is in my hand with my arm extended way out the window with CHL on top. I don't tell them I'm armed unless they ask. If they don't have me get out I make sure that I hang one arm out the window and keep the other on top of the steering wheel where they can see it when they come back. If I get out I just keep them at my side. I don't make excuses and when they tell me why they stopped me I just say "ok". Always calm and polite, but I try to also remain confident in my tone just incase they are one of those ego-trip types. All in all I have zero problems and no arguments are ill-feelings about these guys and one gal that have pulled me over. Now if Chevrolet would quit making their trucks so darn fast :evil2:
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Traffice Stops

Post by KC5AV »

gregthehand wrote: <snip>
As someone who has done traffic stops I think this really helps me on mine. I always pull way over or get off the road all together, roll down all of my windows, turn on my dome light, and all my stuff is in my hand with my arm extended way out the window with CHL on top. I don't tell them I'm armed unless they ask. If they don't have me get out I make sure that I hang one arm out the window and keep the other on top of the steering wheel where they can see it when they come back. If I get out I just keep them at my side. I don't make excuses and when they tell me why they stopped me I just say "ok". Always calm and polite, but I try to also remain confident in my tone just incase they are one of those ego-trip types. All in all I have zero problems and no arguments are ill-feelings about these guys and one gal that have pulled me over. Now if Chevrolet would quit making their trucks so darn fast :evil2:
Cruise control? It works for me.
NRA lifetime member

Tactical_Texan_CHL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

Greg, your new Delta House name is "Lead Foot". I get to be "Otter". Name the movie! Glad your stops went OK. I had a similar lead foot problem when I first got my new truck. I just loved to hear the Hemi sing through my exhaust! A few tickets took care of that! I'm much more careful now! ;-)
TacTex
NRA Life Member

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote:Greg, your new Delta House name is "Lead Foot". I get to be "Otter". Name the movie! Glad your stops went OK. I had a similar lead foot problem when I first got my new truck. I just loved to hear the Hemi sing through my exhaust! A few tickets took care of that! I'm much more careful now! ;-)
haha...I was about to say the next thing needed is the surgical procedure to remove the lead from his foot..but you beat me to it :rolll

moral of the story and common connection between all 4 incidents...going faster than the posted speed limit

Now..what did we learn class? :rules:
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote:Greg, your new Delta House name is "Lead Foot". I get to be "Otter". Name the movie! Glad your stops went OK. I had a similar lead foot problem when I first got my new truck. I just loved to hear the Hemi sing through my exhaust! A few tickets took care of that! I'm much more careful now! ;-)

It is a well known medical fact that the foot tends to display a sympathetic reaction to the wallet. A "light" wallet will generally result in a "light foot".

In the case of warnings, this reaction can be temporarily masked.....but unless the "lead foot disease" goes into remission of it's own accord... then "light wallet" is sure to follow...and the problem becomes self correcting.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC5AV »

flintknapper wrote:

It is a well known medical fact that the foot tends to display a sympathetic reaction to the wallet. A "light" wallet will generally result in a "light foot".

In the case of warnings, this reaction can be temporarily masked.....but unless the "lead foot disease" goes into remission of it's own accord... then "light wallet" is sure to follow...and the problem becomes self correcting.
Translation: go buy yourself a new gun, that way you don't have the money to pay a speeding ticket. That will surely help you to slow down. :woohoo
NRA lifetime member

tboesche

Post by tboesche »

Animal House! I am waiting for my next traffic stop. Seems like eversince I put the Flowmaster exhaust on my Mustang, I tend to accelerate harder and drive faster. But what a wonderful sound it makes. :woohoo Oh yeah, and for some reason my gas mileage has gone down. :headscratch
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

Topic author
gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

I buy new guns all the time! Heck I just bought a Springfield Operator and a Colt Gold Cup!

Might I also mention that only three of these stops included speed not 4 ;-) .

Will938

Post by Will938 »

I live right at Hwy 30 and 244, by carlos. You have been pulled over by more cops than I've ever seen there :lol:

The one time I did get pulled over was right around the Grimes/Brazos county line at the bridges. I'm not sure how fast I was going, but I was booking it. Probably over 80 at night. He asked if I was armed "yes", where do you live "just down the road at county road 192", could you slow it down for me Mr. Clark? "no problem" :mrgreen:

Topic author
gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

It's one State Trooper in a Crown Vic at night and one in a Charger during the day out there. The one at night is skinny and a very polite guy :thumbs2:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”