Disarmed AND unloaded by Pearland PD

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
rm9792
Posts in topic: 18

Disarmed AND unloaded by Pearland PD

Post by rm9792 »

Driving home from my office in the Gulfgate mall area, a bad place anytime and this was midnight. I was just getting into the main area of Pearland on 35 when the cop pulls a Uturn and gets in my lane. I wasnt speeding so I pulled into a lighted Office Depot parking lot and rolled down both windows.He had came up and I gave him all my stuff and he asked where my gun was. I told him on the passenger seat (emphasized) concealed under a towel. It had been digging in my side so I took it off. He said ok and that he pulled me over for no front lp. No i dont have one and have yet to see any one care. Now is the crud part. His passenger, an older cop tapped on the passenger window and asked if I had a license. i said yes, of course and he asked if it was under the towel. I said yes again. He took it, unloaded it, and pocketed the mag and ammo. after about ten minutes the driver brings my paperwork back and says thanks and walks off, no ticket (as usual, they love to pull this car over). Wingman comes back and puts it all back on the seat and says dont touch till I leave. I pulled away about 50 yds then reloaded it all before leaving the parking lot.
Debated filing a complaint because there is no way they felt "threatened" but I do have to drive thru there a lot at night in a distinctive car. No, it wouldnt matter if i had a front lp because I get pulled over a lot for crazy reasons, yet never get a ticket. I dont know if they are hoping for kids or dealers or what but it is about twice a month. I told one HPD officer I didnt need to carry anymore as I always have a police car on my tail. He was the second one that night like 20 minutes after his buddy stopped me. I was in a real bad part of town at 2am but one of night techs had his truck broke into at one of our offices, off of MLK Blvd.

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Disarmed AND unloaded by Pearland PD

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Why would you file a complaint? I'm not understanding what the office did wrong.

I understand that you didn't like your firearm being removed and unloaded, but it doesn't sound inappropriate either.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

My son in law is a sergent with Pearland PD. I called him and asked if this was the norm. He told me most have no problems but there are a few of the old timers that still think no one but them should have a gun. It is not policy but it's up to the individual officer.

This is going to be the same with most departments. There will always be those that think that way.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

It was the old timer that did it. Wonder what would have happened with no CHL? Chuck Rosenthal jr? To lumberjack, it was inappropriate as it doesnt need to be handled, accidents happen. He was fumbling around trying to unload it, I guess he is a glock guy and doesnt know 1991s. I have never had one loose before, it is usually on my hip. Will stay there from now on.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Thanks for the clarification and I agree with that standpoint. He could have stayed there while the non-oldtimer went and ran your info.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

one of the hazards of driving at night a lot is getting stopped, especially the places I have to go. Once the officers meet me they are always nice, and am never ticketed. Not a big deal, unless i need to be somewhere.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Although I don't agree with them disarming anyone that is legal, it is legal for them to do so and in their opinion, it's for their safety. We know better but then again, it's their life that's on the line every day.

Unless the law is changed (and I doubt it will be) there will always be those few that feel this way. Most however are starting to come aound.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boomerang »

It makes as much sense as siphoning the gas out of the tank and not letting the driver fill it back up until the cops leave.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I guess he thought I might have spent upwards of $300 for a CHL and got a $1000 Kimber just to get into a gun battle with a small town PD. makes sense I guess.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

rm9792 wrote:...I dont know if they are hoping for kids or dealers or what but it is about twice a month. I told one HPD officer I didnt need to carry anymore as I always have a police car on my tail. He was the second one that night like 20 minutes after his buddy stopped me...
OK, skipping right to the chase here... what kind of car is it you drive? Cause I wanna make sure I never get one of those! :shock:
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

05 Mustang GT, Silver with black racing stripes. I know its not unique, but less common than the sebring I drove for years. Never got stopped in that car.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

rm9792 wrote:Wingman comes back and puts it all back on the seat and says dont touch till I leave.
I'd have to wonder about this; though the OP was in a parking lot, every cop that I've asked said that after a roadside stop, they will wait until the other vehicle leaves first, due to the potential liability of causing someone to stop in a potentially dangerous place where they would not have otherwise stopped. Is it possible that they might be violating department policy by insisting that you wait there while they abandon you on the roadside?

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

They said not to reload till they (or I) had left. Not to wait in the parking lot for them to leave. I thought they always stayed behind to do paperwork on the stop.

dustyb

Post by dustyb »

rm9792 wrote:I guess he thought I might have spent upwards of $300 for a CHL and got a $1000 Kimber just to get into a gun battle with a small town PD. makes sense I guess.
Maybe he suffered from pistol envy.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

You know, there's probably a simple solution to the problem...

Perhaps you could get a front plate? I'm not sure if you simply don't have one or if you just never put it on, but it's required by law. With all the money you spent on a CHL, 1911, and the car, it seems to be within your budget to go down to the Tax Office/DoT and pay the small fee to get a new set of plates. If you're obeying traffic laws, you'll save yourself and the officers in your area a lot of time and hassle in stops due to a missing front plate.

Due to the location of your gun during the stop, I don't see a big issue with what the officer did. A gun sitting out (even covered with a towel) is perceived as more readily accessible and a more unusual way to carry, from the perspective of an LEO. If you had it on-body and were disarmed, that may be a different issue and I certainly would have an informal conversation with the officer's supervisor regarding the necessity (or lack thereof) of being disarmed
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”