First LEO contact

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
One Shot
Posts in topic: 1

First LEO contact

Post by One Shot »

Pulled over on 90A between Shiner and Gonzales at 2 AM this morning. Took the kids to Shiner to their first drive-in-- turned out to be my first LEO stop. I was doing 75 in a 65 (thought it was a 70 zone, as I failed to see the "65 at night" sign). Presented by DL and CHL as wife found the insurance info in the glove box. The officer asked if I was armed and where. I told him in my front waistband and he told me to put it in the center console. I lifted my shirt and pulled pistol and holster (Bianchi 6D IWB) off my belt and dropped it in the console. The officer returned to his vehicle, and when he came back asked me to step out. He asked if I always carry (most times), what I carry (Glock 10mm), and why I carry in my front waistband, as he had not seen this before. I explained my reasoning, which seemed to make sense to him. Not sure if he really cared or was just making sure I hadn't been drinking. He returned my docs and told me to watch my speed. Nice encounter. I'd recommend the drive-in too. Although it's a little small, there are not too many to choose from these days.
One Shot
One Shot

Target1911

Re: First LEO contact

Post by Target1911 »

Sounds like a good stop to me.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Sounds like a trouble free stop.

I have a question of practicality for you guys, since I haven't been stopped yet and don't plan to, but you never know...

If the officer had told me to put my pistol in the center console, I would have had to truthfully answer, "sir, it won't fit in there. Is there something else you would like me to do with it?" I drive a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder, and it has a small center console, but it won't hold a 3" 1911, let alone the pistol and holster.

I fully understand and support the officer's desire to have me remove the pistol before stepping out of the vehicle, but the only possible way I can think of to do that is to place it on the dashboard or on the roof before getting out. But, particularly if my wife is riding shotgun and my son is in the back seat, either of those alternatives still leaves the pistol within easy reach of either me or them, which I am sure the officer would want to avoid.

If any LEOs on this board would care to answer this question, I would be appreciative. Like I said, I don't plan to get stopped, but you never know.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

One Shot wrote:Not sure if he really cared or was just making sure I hadn't been drinking.

Probly a little of both. Great Stop BTW.
:anamatedbanana
George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Annoyed man, I think your idea of asking what else he would like you to do would work. After all, he can't tell you to put something where it won't pyhsically fit.

I would help more but I really don't think about it that much. I don't see the need to disarm a person in most stops. I might (not sure but might) if I were doing DWI tests, but so far that has not happened.
Steve Rothstein

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

srothstein wrote:After all, he can't tell you to put something where it won't pyhsically fit.
Why not? I've told a cop to do that before :mrgreen:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Sounds like a trouble free stop.

I have a question of practicality for you guys, since I haven't been stopped yet and don't plan to, but you never know...

If the officer had told me to put my pistol in the center console, I would have had to truthfully answer, "sir, it won't fit in there. Is there something else you would like me to do with it?" I drive a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder, and it has a small center console, but it won't hold a 3" 1911, let alone the pistol and holster.

I fully understand and support the officer's desire to have me remove the pistol before stepping out of the vehicle, but the only possible way I can think of to do that is to place it on the dashboard or on the roof before getting out. But, particularly if my wife is riding shotgun and my son is in the back seat, either of those alternatives still leaves the pistol within easy reach of either me or them, which I am sure the officer would want to avoid.

If any LEOs on this board would care to answer this question, I would be appreciative. Like I said, I don't plan to get stopped, but you never know.

Odd. I have (the wife has I should say) an 01 Pathfinder with a split console and my full size 1911 fits in the lower section of it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RPBrown wrote:Odd. I have (the wife has I should say) an 01 Pathfinder with a split console and my full size 1911 fits in the lower section of it.
Is yours (I mean, your wife's :lol: ) an LE or SE? I don't know if it would make any difference, but mine is an SE. I have a split console too, but it really didn't want to close all the way and latch with a commander sized 1911 in it. Neither would my similarly sized USP Compact fit any better. However, on reading your answer, I realized that I never checked to see if my 3" Kimber would fit, so I went outside and checked it, and lo and behold it does fit. Problem solved.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Tue May 27, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
RPBrown wrote:Odd. I have (the wife has I should say) an 01 Pathfinder with a split console and my full size 1911 fits in the lower section of it.
LE or SE? I don't know if it would make any difference, but mine is an SE. I have a split console too, but it really didn't want to close all the way and latch with a commander sized 1911 in it.
LE I think. I may be wrong as she is not here and I can't look. I have used the lower part for my 1911 from time to time. It is tight but does fit.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”