First Time

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
nedmoore
Posts in topic: 2

First Time

Post by nedmoore »

I got pulled over this evening. It was the first time that I been stopped by an LEO since having my CHL. I was speeding (30 in a 20) school zone in my neighborhood on my way to the gym by a Spring ISD LEO. I was carrying and did what I remembered; rolled down the windows and placed my hands on the steering wheel. When she approached the window I gave her my DL and CHL, and told her that I had a handgun. She asked where it was and did not ask to see it.

To make a long story short, she said "When I was in the academy my instructor told me that people with CHL's are normally the good guys so I am going to give you a warning" After about 10 minutes she came back to my car and I was on my way! Good encounter, nice officer, and pretty good looking to boot! :tiphat:

CompVest

Re: First Time

Post by CompVest »

Sexist! "rlol"

The way encounters should go for the good guys!
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

OverEasy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OverEasy »

Wait a minute, 'Good Guys' obey the law.
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Good guys can occassionally miss a speed limit sign etc. and it is nice when they are given a break.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

OverEasy wrote:Wait a minute, 'Good Guys' obey the law.
Not to get too far off track here, but there are many laws that no one of good conscience could obey.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 4

Post by pbwalker »

Not to get on a soapbox or anything...Heck, I speed too.

But NEVER in a school zone. If I was the LEO, you WOULD have gotten a ticket. There is never any excuse for speeding in a school zone.

:nono:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

pbwalker wrote:Not to get on a soapbox or anything...Heck, I speed too.

But NEVER in a school zone. If I was the LEO, you WOULD have gotten a ticket. There is never any excuse for speeding in a school zone.

:nono:
I beg to differ. Just last Friday I was taking my daughter to school. The side streets leading out to the main road have no signage indicating you are entering a school zone, however the side streets dump you right into the middle of one if you turn onto the main street. As I turned out onto the main road, I sped up to normal speed (40) and approached the 'Resume Speed' sign, then it dawned on me it was during the middle of the time for the school zone to be in affect. As I looked in my rear view mirror I could see the flashing light on for the beginning of the zone was operating.

So, there are times that you may not realize you have entered a school zone during the time it is active.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

nedmoore wrote: . . she said "When I was in the academy my instructor told me that people with CHL's are normally the good guys so I am going to give you a warning"
That's very nice to hear and it somewhat confirms what we are seeing from the street COPS as well.

Chas.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

I beg to differ. Just last Friday I was taking my daughter to school. The side streets leading out to the main road have no signage indicating you are entering a school zone, however the side streets dump you right into the middle of one if you turn onto the main street. As I turned out onto the main road, I sped up to normal speed (40) and approached the 'Resume Speed' sign, then it dawned on me it was during the middle of the time for the school zone to be in affect. As I looked in my rear view mirror I could see the flashing light on for the beginning of the zone was operating.

So, there are times that you may not realize you have entered a school zone during the time it is active.
I absolutely agree with you on the lack of signage. There should be signs on all areas that enter a school zone. In that case it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. But based on the original post, that didn't seem to be the case. If so, I stand corrected and apologize.

But I still stand by my original statement that if you are entering a school zone, there is no excuse to speed.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

pbwalker wrote:Not to get on a soapbox or anything...Heck, I speed too.

Yes there is, especially when it is just the signs that post it - not the flashing lights. All the school districts in my county have ended for the year, but Austin ISD was in session today. How are you expected to know all of the districts calendars? School zones only apply on school days.
Steve Rothstein

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

"School zone" is frequently misapplied. The image that comes to mind when we see "school zone" is a hand-holding chain of kindergarteners under the watchful eye of a crossing guard. Gradeschoolers lugging their backpacks down neighborhood sidewalks. Kids chasing an errant kickball into the street next to the playground. Quiet residential streets filled with laughing happy children.

Excuse me. This is Texas. Have you seen where we build schools? Sidewalks? Puh-leaze, we drive to schools, because they're gargantuan campuses in the middle of nowhere.

Two excellent local examples in Texarkana: State Highway 93 (5 lanes, formerly US 59B), just past the 59/151 interchange, becomes a school zone (35mph, vs. the usual 55mph). There is no school on that road. The "school zone" covers the traffic light-protected intersection that leads to Liberty-Eylau High School, 3/4 mile away down FM 3527. Even on the road where the school is located, there are no sidewalks, no school crossings, no crosswalks, no crossing guards. No "children", for that matter, just teenagers driving their own cars or riding the bus.

Second example: Robison Road, adjacent to Texarkana College.

Excuse me, "College"? Yes. Apparently the "children" driving themselves to college on this busy four-lane road (again, with no sidewalks, crosswalks, or crossing guards) will only be safe if drivers stab the brakes to slow from 40 to 25 because some flashing lights say they must.

The main entrance to the college is notorious for accidents. It's not because of the speed, it's because idjits try to turn left across four lanes of traffic, some of which is desperately trying to slow down to 25 on short notice to comply with the flashing "school zone" lights, while others proceed at normal speed. There are no accidents from people doing the smart thing and turning right, nor those who spend two minutes to wind out the backside of the campus onto alternative routes.

So yes, there is good reason to speed in a "school zone", most notably because "school zone" is poorly defined and arbitrary.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

This will be my last reply on this because it's gone off topic a bit, but you state:
So yes, there is good reason to speed in a "school zone", most notably because "school zone" is poorly defined and arbitrary.
Who are we to decide though? School Zones are there to protect children going to and from school, and if that means that we, as drivers, need to be inconvenienced for a short while then so be it.

But for a college?? Wow...I have never seen that. But because it is posted, I'm going to obey the law...

Just like we all obey the 30.06 posting. We may not agree with it, but we obey it.

stash

Post by stash »

nedmoore - glad it was a good stop for you. Just a bit curious - the signs at the school I pass indicate you reduce speed to 20 mph between 2 - 4 pm. What time in the evening did you get stopped?
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Topic author
nedmoore

Post by nedmoore »

I really enjoy this board but I can't stand how many threads start out as friendly and then end up so bitter. I feel a little guilty since I am the one who started this thread and then blah, blah, blah...

The school is in my neighborhood, the speed limit in my neighborhood is 20 as well, so there is no drastic speed limit changes. I was only going about 30 and there were no kids around. I guess if what's his name from an earlier post would have been the cop I would have gotten a ticket! Oh well. By the way, I was speeding in the exact same spot today and passed another school cop! I did not get pulled over though.

tarkus

Post by tarkus »

Europeans seem to live without so many school zones. Maybe it's because their children are smart enough to look both ways before they cross the street. I bet not many European kids swallow magnets and then their parents blame the toys.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”