Should I Inform Officer of My CHL?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Daltex1
Posts in topic: 2

Should I Inform Officer of My CHL?

Post by Daltex1 »

I have had a couple of occasions where I was in contact with a police officer and left wondering if I should have informed him of My CHL. My wife had the lever on her E-Brake pulled up slightly and was driving to the store, This resulted in a fire, the fire dept and police came extinguished the flames and the officer followed her home to make sure she made it ok . I was outside when she pulled up and the officer pulls up and gets out of his car informing me of what had happened. We continue to shoot the breeze and he then leaves. I was wondering in situations such as this that is not a traffic stop do I need to inform the officer of my CHL?

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Should I Inform Officer of My CHL?

Post by boomerang »

Daltex1 wrote:do I need to inform the officer of my CHL?
Only "when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification" (411.205)
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

bryang

Post by bryang »

From what I have learned here on the forum it is best if we speak only when spoken to, in other words, when the officer ask for your identification then give him your CHL and let him ask the questions.

:txflag:
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Exactly gentlemen. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
Daltex1

Post by Daltex1 »

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I just always was left wondering, should I have let him know that I was packing. :tiphat: Thanks again, This is why I love this website, even though I may ask a dumb question I always get a polite answer no matter how ignorant I some times seem. :tiphat:

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

If you have had a casual conversation with a police officer while carrying a concealed weapon, you have passed a test with flying colors.

- Jim

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Daltex1,
There are no dumb Qs.
seamusTX hit it on the head. Standing & talking to a LEO & he had no idea you were armed gets you an "A" in CC even w/o 10yrs experience.
Good job. :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

seamusTX wrote:If you have had a casual conversation with a police officer while carrying a concealed weapon, you have passed a test with flying colors.

- Jim
:iagree:
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Afff_667

Post by Afff_667 »

My father received a call that a motion sensor alarm had gone off late Saturday night in his business located in Washington County while I was visiting this weekend. Armed with a Colt Combat Commander carried IWB, I rode with him to check it out since it could be a while before a deputy could make it. A deputy was already there when we arrived and was apparently checking things out because he wasn't with his car.

My dad got out of his car and started around the far side of the building to find the deputy until I stopped him short and advised against "surprising" the deputy. I told my dad that we would hang out in the lighted area next to the cruiser and wait for the deputy. I then had to remind my old man that the Glock in his right hand wasn't concealed very well....He put it in the Tahoe before the deputy appeared.

The deputy was great and did an excellent job checking things out. He informed us that there was no sign of forced entry, etc and went on his way to another call in another part of the county. Since this was my first interaction with an LEO after receiving my CHL, all I can remember was how heavy that Colt was getting while we stood there talking....I knew that I didn't have to present my CHL unless asked to identify myself thanks to the fine folks here confirming and reinforcing what I learned in class.

Dad and I chatted on the way back to his place about "concealed meaning concealed," when he had to present his CHL, and how to behave in similar situations.
"There's no moral order. There is only this: can my violence conquer your violence?"

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

longtooth wrote:Daltex1,
There are no dumb Qs.
seamusTX hit it on the head. Standing & talking to a LEO & he had no idea you were armed gets you an "A" in CC even w/o 10yrs experience.
Good job. :thumbs2:
The only issue for me is that I want to know where everyone around me is doing, and especially if THEY have a firearm. I pay more attention to HIS (or hers) than mine.

If *YOU* don't worry about it then no one (including cops) will worry about it (or you need a new CC method.)

My wife doesn't notice most of the time -- she knows, but the is not consciously aware of it unless she sees a potential problem in the environment.

And remember: Don't touch it; don't finger your waistband (or other location); don't pull up your pants unnecessarily; don't tuck your arm around it (unless you need to ensure retention close to people); don't mess with it.

You can stand on stage in front of thousands of people all pleasantly unaware of if or where, if you do it with confidence (and good gear.)
Last edited by HerbM on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HerbM

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Afff_667 wrote:My father received a call that a motion sensor alarm had gone off late Saturday night in his business located in Washington County while I was visiting this weekend. Armed with a Colt Combat Commander carried IWB, I rode with him to check it out since it could be a while before a deputy could make it. A deputy was already there when we arrived and was apparently checking things out because he wasn't with his car.

My dad got out of his car and started around the far side of the building to find the deputy until I stopped him short and advised against "surprising" the deputy. I told my dad that we would hang out in the lighted area next to the cruiser and wait for the deputy. I then had to remind my old man that the Glock in his right hand wasn't concealed very well....He put it in the Tahoe before the deputy appeared.

The deputy was great and did an excellent job checking things out. He informed us that there was no sign of forced entry, etc and went on his way to another call in another part of the county. Since this was my first interaction with an LEO after receiving my CHL, all I can remember was how heavy that Colt was getting while we stood there talking....I knew that I didn't have to present my CHL unless asked to identify myself thanks to the fine folks here confirming and reinforcing what I learned in class.

Dad and I chatted on the way back to his place about "concealed meaning concealed," when he had to present his CHL, and how to behave in similar situations.
Well, as it's his business (I assume he owns or leases the property), there's no legal requirement for him to conceal his weapon. It would be a bad idea to walk around gun-in-hand knowing that there was a deputy already on the property unaware of your presence. Good thing you were there to remind him. :thumbs2:
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I was involved in a fender bender, Ft Bend sheriff showed up but accident happened in Harris County (had to chase the person who rear ended me) and he couldnt do anything, I still showed him my chl. Did not want to make him nervous if it showed in anyway. Anyway we had to drive back to Harris County and meet up with another sheriff, showed him also. Both were unconcerned that I was carrying.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”