Ahhhh, the safety of the Church

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Ahhhh, the safety of the Church

Post by longtooth »

Nothing can happen there & especially w/ the Preacher there.
Yea right. :banghead:

Mowed the Prairie Chapel Mission Church yard this morning. That takes 2 of us about 2.5 hrs.
I then went to Jubilee, our Home Church. I got out of my truck & one of the Diboll PD Officers pulled in the parking lot. Not unusual,They & the Counstable are pretty regular & we visit a lot.
PD - You gonna be here a while.
Me - Yes sir. Take about 3.5 hrs to do this one since the ditch is wet from the rain.
PD - Just tried to serve a felony warent & he jumped out of a window & ran off. Could not catch him. He ran across the church lot by the woods line. If you see him give us a call please. He wont show up if I stay around in the patrol car. He gives me a discription.
Me - Yes sir. I get the # & program it in my cell so I dont have to use 911. I go to work getting a few low hanging branches cut off that were in the way last time.
About 15 minutes & the suspect runs back across at the same place. I am about 15 feet from him & speak. Hey, how you doin young man. Fine & kept running. Called them & here come 2 cruisers, the counstable, an unmarked pickup, (probably personal vehicle) & a personal SUV. Counstable & 2 guys in the unmarked personals flush him out & the chase is on. He jumps a fence right across the street from the church, back over it into the front yard & the 2 there are after him. All 3 LEOs & the suspect are really getting tired. From flush until now has been about 3-4 minutes. All are running all the time. Suspect hits the street & the Counstable has come around the fence & makes first contact. They take him down in the street at the corner of our church property.
There are no "GOOD" neighborhoods any more.
If I had been guessing this morning when I left the house I would have never guessed today. Thus my signature.
Will watch the Police Report in the paper for the next few days.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ahhhh, the safety of the Church

Post by seamusTX »

longtooth wrote:There are no "GOOD" neighborhoods any more.
Yup.

I'm glad it worked out as well as possible.

- Jim

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

There are no "GOOD" neighborhoods any more.
A "good" neighborhood is simply one where the really bad stuff doesn't happen as often as it does in a "bad" neighborhood. By that definition, there are still lots of places that are plenty better than others, but none are crime and risk free as you unfortunately saw first hand at the church.

As an LEO, the saying I heard most often from folks who had something really nasty happen close by was, "I never would have believed something like that could happen here." Although I don't claim to be the quickest arrow in the quiver, after hearing the same thing at a couple dozen major crime scenes in all kinds of neighborhoods, even I managed to figure out that anything can happen anywhere at any time.

The best practice is to keep alert everywhere so you're never taken by surprise.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well, I've got pretty nice neighbors, and they would definitely call the law. The problem is that none of my immediate neighbors are gun owners. They aren't antis, they just don't own any. My neighbor across the street - a sterling fellow by the way with whom I get along famously - tells me that he and his wife feel safer knowing that I'm just across the street "with all those guns." I told him, "Gary, you'd feel safer yet if the gun was inside your own house." He laughed and said, "yeah, probably." But he hasn't bought a gun yet.

My son and I are going to take his son and him to the range with us pretty soon. If we do our jobs right, I'll have a new gun owning neighbor. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I am surrounded by the same kind of neighbor. Both sides of me have said they are thankful for my being next door.
Across the street is a Single lady, both sieds of here are families w/o arms but good neighbors. One of those is a lady that works for UPS. Several yrs ago I sent a 3AT back to Florida & she did not even want to hold the box. :banghead: But still glad I am accross the street.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

longtooth wrote:I am surrounded by the same kind of neighbor. Both sides of me have said they are thankful for my being next door.
Across the street is a Single lady, both sieds of here are families w/o arms but good neighbors. One of those is a lady that works for UPS. Several yrs ago I sent a 3AT back to Florida & she did not even want to hold the box. :banghead: But still glad I am accross the street.
Well, no wonder she didn't want to hold the box; You said she had no arms!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!!) "rlol"

Seriously, they are lucky to have a neighbor like you across the street. Having a sheepdog or two among any flock is a good thing! The more sheepdogs in the pastures, the safer the flocks, and more reason for the wolves to move on to less guarded areas. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Keith B wrote:
longtooth wrote:I am surrounded by the same kind of neighbor. Both sides of me have said they are thankful for my being next door.
Well, no wonder she didn't want to hold the box; You said she had no arms!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!!) "rlol"

:

"rlol" "rlol" too.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

Well, I've got pretty nice neighbors, and they would definitely call the law.
Folks who will keep an eye out for you and call the appropriate folks when needed are indeed good neighbors.

Folks who will do that and are willing, prepared, trained and equipped to take effective action when you need help right away and the public responders aren't there yet are great neighbors.

I'm fortunate to share a neighborhood with pretty good numbers of both.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

LT-

Did you take em some Gatorade? It's hot out there! :mrgreen:

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

InfoTechCHL2007

Post by InfoTechCHL2007 »

"They take him down in the street at the corner of our church property.
There are no "GOOD" neighborhoods any more."

I like to think I live in a nice neighborhood and attend a quiet church, but I carry when I go for a walk with the wife and kiddos, I carry in church, I carry at the grocery store, etc, etc.
Know your weapons

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I'm glad you're okay, LT.

Sometimes, people running from LEOs can get desperate.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

glockowner

Post by glockowner »

just read it; "no arms". good one. "rlol"

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”