Fort Worth PD Encounter

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
InfoTechCHL2007
Posts in topic: 3

Fort Worth PD Encounter

Post by InfoTechCHL2007 »

I was headed home from Fort Worth on Wednesday when a cruiser pulled up behind me at a light. When the light turned green, his lights came on.
I pulled over into the nearest parking lot, turned off the engine, placed the keys on the dash, rolled down the window, placed both hands on the wheel, and awaited instructions. The officer told me he stopped me because my vehicle registration had expired. (It dawned on me that the paperwork either the wife or I should have mailed a few weeks ago was likely still at the house collecting dust.)
I handed over both licenses and started rummaging for the current version of my insurance verification (sloppy, I know...it should be easily accessible).
After I had searched for the insurance verification for a few minutes, the officer offered to check on it himself, assuming the company had not changed.
He then handed back the CHL and went back to his car. Of note, he did not ask regarding a weapon or actually refer to the CHL in any way except to say "you can have this back".
When he came back with the citation, he told me that typically if you show up at the courthouse with proof of registration within a couple of days, there will not be a fine. He then told me to stay safe and went back to his cruiser.
This was a very relaxed, professional stop...especially following the presentation of my CHL.
By the way, the cost to me was $10 at the courthouse.
Last edited by InfoTechCHL2007 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Know your weapons

SCone
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Fort Worth PD Encounter

Post by SCone »

Had the same stop (without the CHL) several months ago in Dallas. Took the ticket along with the registration reciept to the courthouse and ten bucks later it was gone. The registration will cost you an extra fine too. Think it was seven dollars???

Topic author
InfoTechCHL2007

SCone wrote:The registration will cost you an extra fine too. Think it was seven dollars???
You are correct. I think what impressed me most about this stop was the officer's almost casual acceptance of the CHL.
Know your weapons

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

InfoTechCHL2007 wrote:
SCone wrote:The registration will cost you an extra fine too. Think it was seven dollars???
You are correct. I think what impressed me most about this stop was the officer's almost casual acceptance of the CHL.

This is as it should be.

However, a quick call (or letter) of appreciation for the professionalism the officer displayed would be a nice gesture on your part. If you know what dept. to send it to, a letter of commendation would go a long way toward cementing good relations between the CHL citizenry and the police.

All too often... they receive only complaints. It is a small effort on our part to "sound off" when they do something worthy of our praise (which is normally the case).

Thanks for sharing.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
InfoTechCHL2007

flintknapper wrote: However, a quick call (or letter) of appreciation for the professionalism the officer displayed would be a nice gesture on your part. If you know what dept. to send it to, a letter of commendation would go a long way toward cementing good relations between the CHL citizenry and the police.

All too often... they receive only complaints. It is a small effort on our part to "sound off" when they do something worthy of our praise (which is normally the case).

Thanks for sharing.
I should have mentioned that I sent a lengthy, glowing email to the Fort Worth PD's traffic division that same evening. :txflag:
Know your weapons

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

InfoTechCHL2007 wrote: I handed over both licenses and started rummaging for the current version of my insurance verification (sloppy, I know...it should be easily accessible).
I suggest keeping a copy of your registration receipt, your insurance card, and the "what to do in case of an accident" guide from your insurance company in a plastic window holder secured to the hidden side of your visor with elastic or in one of those visor organizers you can get at WalMart. It makes a stop go much more smoothly, and helps out a lot if you're ever involved in an accident.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

bryang

Post by bryang »

This is the way it should be and I am very glad to see this kind of behavior from our LEO's here in this area. You would think by now they would have figured out that those with a CHL are not their enemy's.

I am glad that you sent the nice letter... that will help us all! :thumbs2:

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

catwoman

Post by catwoman »

InfoTechCHL2007 wrote:
flintknapper wrote: However, a quick call (or letter) of appreciation for the professionalism the officer displayed would be a nice gesture on your part. If you know what dept. to send it to, a letter of commendation would go a long way toward cementing good relations between the CHL citizenry and the police.

Thanks for sharing.
I should have mentioned that I sent a lengthy, glowing email to the Fort Worth PD's traffic division that same evening. :txflag:
I'm very glad to hear that you commended the officer! Most of us (self included) have no problem voicing our displeasure when things don't go as they should. Not a problem. But I've always felt that if we're going to exercise that right, we have the corresponding responsibility to voice our pleasure when things go very well, mentioning names if possible!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”