Off Duty LEO

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
tboesche
Posts in topic: 1

Off Duty LEO

Post by tboesche »

Saturday, as I was leaving my house, I was passing by the home of a LEO, that lives across the street from me. This guy is not overly friendly with the neighbors and generally keeps to him self, but seems to be a decent guy. Anyway, he is in the driveway washing his new motorcycle. A Ducati. he also has a 2008 Mustang in the garage. As I am a Mustang driver and a Ducati rider myself, I stop to chat for a sec. I get out of my 'Stang and walk up the driveway, saying something to the effect of, "I see you traded up" refering to the "stang as opposed to his old camaro. We talked for about 10 minutes, about bikes cars and Autocross. As we wrap up the conversastion, I turn to leave and the wind blows my shirt tail and he gets a full view of my taurus PT-111. He asks me what I do for a living. After I tell him, he says, "so you have a CHL?" I replied yep. He just kinda nodded his head. We chatted for a few more minutes and I went on my way.

This raises a question, What authority does an off-duty LEO have? Not that I would have, but could I have just ignored him? What if did not have a CHL, could he have arrested me, or just called it in. By the way he is FWPD.
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

WildBill

Re: Off Duty LEO

Post by WildBill »

tboesche wrote:This raises a question, What authority does an off-duty LEO have? Not that I would have, but could I have just ignored him? What if did not have a CHL, could he have arrested me, or just called it in. By the way he is FWPD.
A cop is a cop 24/7.
NRA Endowment Member

kidder014

Post by kidder014 »

From my understanding, he has full authority in his jurisdiction 24/7. Outside of his jurisdiction he has authority to arrest for any felony and various misdemeanor offenses.

I don't think I would've ignored him regardless... just my .02!

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I don't think him being a LEO was relevant because he didn't ask for ID.

He's a neighbor and you had a pleasant conversation with him. As you're walking away, the wind exposed your handgun. I think the neighborly thing to do is admit you have a CHL if he asks but maybe that's just me.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

bryang

Post by bryang »

I wouldn't have ignored him and just because he was off duty does not mean he didn't have any authority...a LEO is always on duty...24/7. :patriot:

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

boomerang wrote:I don't think him being a LEO was relevant because he didn't ask for ID.

He's a neighbor and you had a pleasant conversation with him. As you're walking away, the wind exposed your handgun. I think the neighborly thing to do is admit you have a CHL if he asks but maybe that's just me.
I agree.

Let's keep in mind this was not an LEO initiated stop, and the exposed weapon that raised the question was tboesche's faux pax. The off duty officer asked the same question almost anyone would have in his mind when he observed the weapon.

Under these circumstances I believe the person who failed to keep the weapon concealed owes anyone who saw it the explanation that he has a CHL. An apology would also be appropriate, though optional. Failure to clear the air with the CHL in a neighborhood setting might well result in lingering suspicion and rumors. In a public setting, it may result in a call to LE and a subsequent stop.

Additional thought should also be given to how accidental exposure of the weapon can be prevented in the future. The wind will continue to blow in Texas........
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I would say that he has the right to ask anything he wants....you were on his property! :biggrinjester:

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”