Dallas LEO arrested for Aggravated Robbery

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Kerbouchard
Posts in topic: 2

Dallas LEO arrested for Aggravated Robbery

Post by Kerbouchard »

Dallas police officer arrested for aggravated robbery of Sam's Club in Red Bird area of Dallas | Dallas | pegasusnews.com
A Dallas police officer planned and carried out the late June robbery of a Red Bird-area Sam's Club with two other men, according to court records obtained by The Dallas Morning News.

Officer Alph Coleman was arrested Tuesday evening on suspicion of aggravated robbery. When investigators spoke to him Tuesday, he refused to answer questions about the June 27 robbery of the Sam's Club in the 2900 block of West Wheatland Road.

Alph Coleman Another man, who police say drove the getaway car, was arrested and released Monday on $30,000 bail on one count of conspiracy to commit robbery and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. Police asked that his name be withheld pending the arrest of a third suspect who is believed to be the gunman.

Police say the getaway driver was behind the wheel of Officer Coleman's civilian car. They also obtained cellphone records showing that Officer Coleman called the driver several times just before the gunman entered the store.

The suspicions of police investigators were immediately aroused after the June 27 robbery, in part because the unnamed gunman in the robbery didn't take Officer Coleman's weapon.

Initial police reports, interviews and an arrest warrant affidavit give the following account:

The gunman entered the store wearing black clothes, a black ski mask and blue latex gloves. He was armed with a revolver. He "ran towards Suspect Coleman with a gun in his hand, grabbed Suspect Coleman and seemingly overpowered him but did not disarm him."

Officer Coleman told police that the man held a gun to his head and threatened to kill him. The gunman and Officer Coleman walked to the vault area and tried to enter it but couldn't because store employees barricaded the door.

The gunman then walked Officer Coleman to the front of the store, out the door and to a parking lot near a grassy area. Officer Coleman told investigators that he "attempted to grab the gun of the unknown suspect. He stated they grappled over the gun and the unknown suspect shot at him twice," according to the affidavit.

Officer Coleman told investigators that the gunman shot him in his bulletproof vest.

He also said he fired his gun three times at the man, who he said fled through an apartment complex.

Investigators quickly determined that Officer Coleman's vest had not been hit by a bullet. They also were suspicious because the gunman never tried to take any cash from the registers as he walked Officer Coleman through the store.

The witness who saw the two men outside also told police that the gunman did not fire his weapon as Officer Coleman described, but that Officer Coleman fired his a few seconds later. Video surveillance also showed that Officer Coleman did not fall where he said he had.

During questioning, the man who police say drove the getaway car – convicted on a 1989 murder charge and later released – said that he, Officer Coleman and the gunman had planned the robbery together.

Police officials said Officer Coleman, hired in 2004, had no prior disciplinary history.
There really isn't anything much worse than people like 'suspect Coleman'. To betray a trust like he did is unforgivable. I hope he enjoys his time in jail.

It sure does make it hard on the GG's when the BG's are wearing uniforms.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dallas LEO arrested for Aggravated Robbery

Post by Excaliber »

A very sad tale indeed.

Kudos to the investigators who smelled a rat early on and got to the real story in a very short period of time.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

This is the second time in two days that we've had reports of robbers threatening accomplices rather than the actual robbery victims. I think it's safe to assume that these Prof. Moriarity wannabes did not think of this idea on their own. Where are they getting it?

- Jim

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

This bothers me almost as much as the officer being a suspect in the crime:
Another man, who police say drove the getaway car, was arrested and released Monday on $30,000 bail on one count of conspiracy to commit robbery and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon.

During questioning, the man who police say drove the getaway car – convicted on a 1989 murder charge and later released – said that he, Officer Coleman and the gunman had planned the robbery together.
I'm sorry, but there is no way this 'suspect' should have walked out of the jail. If I were in his shoes, I'd be doing my very best to make myself hard to find... $30,000 bond or not.
NRA lifetime member

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Bail or habeas corpus is one of the most fundamental rights. It is the only right specified in the body of the Constitution.

We have to keep in mind the presumption of innocence, even when the suspect has a previous conviction and is ugly and smells bad.

- Jim

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Of course, you're right. I got ahead of myself.
:oops:
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
Kerbouchard

Post by Kerbouchard »

It's hard to believe that people who were convicted of murder in 1989 are already out and planning more crimes.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Kerbouchard wrote:It's hard to believe that people who were convicted of murder in 1989 are already out and planning more crimes.
It's common unless they murder a celebrity like John Lennon. That's why I think shooting criminals in the act is the best justice.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

XDpackinBob

Post by XDpackinBob »

Ahhhhhh, The real world shows its ugly head once more...

:patriot: :txflag:
XD-40 Sub-Compact, Blackhawk! CQC Serpa level 2 and 3, Tuck This.
NRA.
TSRA.

Class. 5-14-08
Mailed. 5-15
Received. 5-19-08
96 days, Completed and active. 8-23-08
Plastic in hand. 8-27-08
First renewal complete
Second renewal pending

Bob

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”