DPS stop on 08 16 08

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

SA-TX
Posts in topic: 1

Speaking of stops in Irving

Post by SA-TX »

Irving PD was running an assembly line ticket operation on the 161 access road at Belt Line. I don't remember exactly when it was but I was nabbed there approximately 3 or 4 months ago. There were 2 or 3 motorcycle officers on the side of the road. After you crest the hill and are headed down, you are busted. I thought there was an accident at first because what with 2 or 3 officers and a car on the shoulder. I was soon educated when the officer stepped out into traffic and motioned for me to pull over. Turns out, that was someone else getting theirs. Quickest ticket I've ever got. Pulled over, gave DL and insurance (didn't give CHL cause wasn't carrying as I was on my way to work where it isn't allowed :banghead: . Officer slides my license thru his mag stripe reader, read the bar codes on my inspection sticker and license tag, printed my ticket, I signed and was back on the road in under 5 min. Neither he nor I said anything about my CHL status. I considered giving it to him and chatting him up just to burn a little of his time :evil2:. I wonder if he and the others had a friendly wager as to who could write the most that day? Oh well, I was speeding. :mrgreen:

Excaliber

Re: DPS stop on 08 16 08

Post by Excaliber »

flintknapper wrote:
MTICop wrote:
flintknapper wrote::hurry: :tiphat: to the Trooper!

Nice to see that he felt no need to disarm you...(as some LEO do).

My hat is off to him (and the others) who know that CHL's pose little (if any) threat to them.

Thanks for sharing.
You know, I've been stopped three times since I've had my CHL and I have never been asked, or made, to disarm. I guess I've just been lucky.
Glad your inciden't was without issues.

I don't think "lucky". The vast majority of LEO seem to be more than O.K. with CHL's.

Coincidentally, I have been stopped the same number of times in the 12 yrs. I've had mine. None of the officers gave more than a cursory look at my CHL and then handed it back.

Conversely, I could find at least a half dozen forum members that have been disarmed and have posted about it. By extrapolation...it is easy to see that it does happen in numbers worthy of our concern.

Recently, it seems to be less of a problem, (if the sampling here is any indicator), so perhaps "some"....individual/departmental policies are changing.

We don't have a lot of detail on the incidents where LEO's opted to disarm the CHL's, and I have no way of knowing if this was a factor, but personal appearance may play into it. Someone who is clean cut with a vehicle that is clean and neat is less likely to be seen as a threat. Someone who looks like he's slept on the ground without showering for 4 or 5 days and whose vehicle is full of fast food wrappers, dirty clothes and beer cans stands a pretty fair chance of raising more concerns for the officer and being treated accordingly.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

flintknapper wrote: ...Conversely, I could find at least a half dozen forum members that have been disarmed and have posted about it. By extrapolation...it is easy to see that it does happen in numbers worthy of our concern.

Recently, it seems to be less of a problem, (if the sampling here is any indicator), so perhaps "some"....individual/departmental policies are changing.
I really wonder if the stopee's attitude has anything to do with the LEO's attitude more than the departmental policies?
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Nope
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

kw5kw wrote:
flintknapper wrote: ...Conversely, I could find at least a half dozen forum members that have been disarmed and have posted about it. By extrapolation...it is easy to see that it does happen in numbers worthy of our concern.

I really wonder if the stopee's attitude has anything to do with the LEO's attitude more than the departmental policies?
I can only speak for one of the people that Flint spoke of.......me ;-)

I was pleasant, courteous, and VERY cooperative when stopped a few years back in Lufkin. I was never asked for identification, but told the officer about my weapon out of courtesy. He disarmed me until the stop was complete and handed me back an empty gun as we were about to drive away and gave me permisson to reload it :headscratch

The officers were friendly and professional and the experience was picture perfect with the exception of me being disarmed. I understand that this is not SOP in the Lufkin area. It might have gotten under my skin if it were not for me laughing at my Wife for receiving her first speeding ticket :lol:: I had alot more fun than she did.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”