How many law-enforcement agencies?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

How many law-enforcement agencies?

Post by seamusTX »

The title is a rhetorical question.

In the last two weeks, I have seen more police on duty than any time since the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago. I saw the following forces:
  • City of Galveston
  • local constable deputies
  • Galveston County Sheriff's Deputies
  • Galveston ISD Police
  • UTMB Police
  • Port of Galveston Police
  • DPS(1)
  • state troopers(1)
  • Texas game wardens
  • City of Denton
  • City of Round Rock
  • City of McAllen
  • City of Laredo
  • U.S.P.S Postal Police(2)
  • U.S. Federal Protective Service
  • U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (formerly INS, mostly)
Also Texas State Guard and U.S. Army, which are not police, but nobody in their right mind would mess with them

I have probably forgotten or overlooked a few.

Notes:
1. I have never understood the difference between these agencies. Are they all DPS today?
2. I did not know that the Postal Police existed as a uniformed, armed agency. They do.

The crime rate in Galveston was as close to zero as it ever will be, except for curfew violations and some public intoxication the last few days. I attribute that as much to all the junkies taking the free bus rides out of town, as to the police presence. The residents who stayed behind were as law-abiding and friendly as ever.

- Jim

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Re: How many law-enforcement agencies?

Post by srothstein »

Well, one you missed - probably due to unmarked cars and no uniforms - is TABC. :lol: We sent 110 agents from around the state to the Houston-Galveston area.

But the answer to your question is that the state and local agencies are all still regular peace officers. There is no change in their status, they are just working under mutual aid agreements. The civilian federal agencies are out there to assist and may be considered as a form of posse. They are acting under mutual aid agreements also. The national guard is acting under the authority of the Governor to call them out to assist in an emergency. I am not truly sure what law gives the federal agents or the Guard any legal authority to give orders or make arrests. I think they may be considered to be called by officers to assist under the Code of Criminal Procedure section 2.14 but I really don't know. I guess you could say their guns and numbers gives them all the authority they need, but I would assume we have some laws somewhere that back it up.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

I don't remember seeing any TABC, but I wouldn't have been looking. Hardly any businesses were open for the first week, and only a few that sell alcohol are open now.

I think the very first business to reopen after Ike was a bar, though. Someone told me it was on national television.

I didn't particularly care whether any of these forces had legal authority to arrest. I think they were there more for crowd control and possible civil unrest (riots), neither of which was a remote possibility.

In the unlikely event that one of them saw a felony committed within view, I imagine they could deal with it and turn the miscreants over to police with local jurisdiction.

- Jim

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Sorry, Jim. I meant we were down there helping with the crowd control and traffic and such, not just for the regular businesses. I have been talking all week with some of our agents about the conditions and such.

One of our sergeants was telling me they are talking about trying to get into Chambers County with some heavy equipment. Most of the debris from the storm surge went over Bolivar peninsula and built into one big mound there. He said the odor is getting bad from decaying cows, but they think there may be a few bodies in there too. Who gets to go in there is still being debated with most of the current people in the area suggesting the Army Corps of Engineers. They should have the ability to get the heavy equipment needed through the swamps.
Steve Rothstein

CHL/LEO
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CHL/LEO »

I don't remember seeing any TABC, but I wouldn't have been looking.
Gray polo shirts with STATE POLICE on the back - at least that's what the ones that work up in Dallas wear.

Steve - do you know whether or not the Dallas area TABC officers will be back in time for the Texas/OU Rally next weekend? We always appreciate their help during that crazy Friday night rally in downtown Dallas.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

srothstein wrote:I am not truly sure what law gives the federal agents or the Guard any legal authority to give orders or make arrests. I think they may be considered to be called by officers to assist under the Code of Criminal Procedure section 2.14 but I really don't know. I guess you could say their guns and numbers gives them all the authority they need, but I would assume we have some laws somewhere that back it up.

For state forces, TGC § 431.111(b) below I think is the answer.....

§ 431.111. CALLING OF FORCES BY GOVERNOR. (a) The
governor may call all or part of the state military forces to repel
or suppress an invasion of or insurrection in or threatened
invasion of or insurrection in the state or if the governor
considers it necessary to enforce state law. If the number of state
military forces is insufficient, the governor shall call the part
of the reserve militia that the governor considers necessary.
(b) The governor may call all or part of the state military
forces to assist civil authorities in guarding prisoners, conveying
prisoners within the state, or executing law as the public interest
or safety requires.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

CHL/LEo

Most of them will be home this weekend. They are keeping a few down in the area until Oct 12. Each day, more will be returning to their home assignments, so you should get some help from our guys up there.
Steve Rothstein

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Sorta explains why there 6 cops directing traffic on Stuart and 61st.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”