First LEO encounter with CHL

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
kidder014
Posts in topic: 3

First LEO encounter with CHL

Post by kidder014 »

I had my first LEO encounter this morning, and I wish I could say it was just due to speeding.

I was involved in a 3 car wreck. Unfortunately, my vehicle took the brunt of the damage. This wasn't the scenerio I imagined as being my first LEO encounter with the CHL.

You should've seen the other driver's face when I handed the CHL to the officer and he asked where the gun was!

All in all, the officers were extremely professional, and I carried on a good conversation with them while waiting on the tow truck. No incident, and no second thought from the officers regarding the CHL or handgun.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First LEO encounter with CHL

Post by Keith B »

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are OK and able to post.

What department was this? This is how it should be handled by them. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
kidder014

Post by kidder014 »

Keith B wrote:What department was this?
The fine officers of Melissa Texas.

Yes, everyone is ok. Now just waiting to hear the "damage" from the insurance agent... :ack:

starrbuck

Post by starrbuck »

kidder014 wrote: :ack:
LOL! ^^^ That face is perfect for how you must be feeling. Glad you're ok!!!
Springfield XD(m) 9mm 3.8 | Springfield XD-45 Compact | Springfield XD-9 Service
Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP | Kimber Pro Aegis II 9mm w/Crimson Trace | Walther PPS 9mm
Bushmaster AR-15 w/Magpul pistol grip and foregrip, Bushnell holosight

I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

doejohn

Post by doejohn »

kidder014 wrote:
Keith B wrote:What department was this?
The fine officers of Melissa Texas.

Yes, everyone is ok. Now just waiting to hear the "damage" from the insurance agent... :ack:
I'm glad to hear they have some fine officers.

This person wasn't quite as lucky with his stop in Melissa

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/w ... 7a0a3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just because you have the power to do something doesn't mean you should do it. That's what I hope the Chief ultimately told his officers regarding this incident.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

doejohn wrote:This person wasn't quite as lucky with his stop in Melissa

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/w ... 7a0a3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know, but I suspect the questions he objected to were along the lines of "Where are you going? Where have you been? You don't have anything to hide, do you?", and the officer arrested him in order to search the truck.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

KBCraig wrote:
doejohn wrote:This person wasn't quite as lucky with his stop in Melissa

I don't know, but I suspect the questions he objected to were along the lines of "Where are you going? Where have you been? You don't have anything to hide, do you?", and the officer arrested him in order to search the truck.
I bet he refused to sign the ticket. The ticket is a summons, and the signature is an agreement to appear before the judge. Refuse to sign and you get to go see the judge right away. You may just have to wait in a cell until the judge is ready.

Topic author
kidder014

Post by kidder014 »

Honestly, I did not have a very high expectation of Melissa PD prior to my run-in with them. The article above is just one of the more recent incidents that made the news. There is much more that most of you don't hear because it doesn't make the news.

I'm not fond of Melissa PD as a whole, but I am very thankful for their response during my incident. On the other hand, they are one of the numerous departments statewide that consistantly conduct illegal sobriety checkpoints under the disguise of "DL Checks".

I will stop there to keep this from becoming a LEO bashing. Regardless, they did handle my CHL/LEO encounter exactly how it should be handled, and for that, I give them kudos.

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

He was booked, strip searched, and sat for 3 hours with criminals. “People talking about using drugs and shooting heroin. They asked me what I was in there for and I said a turn signal violation,” said Robinson.

....and they all moved away from me on the bench there, until I said, "And creating a nuisance!" and the all came back and we had fun filling out the forms and playing with the pencils there on the Group W bench....

racer32

Post by racer32 »

I had a friend who was "detained" by the Melissa PD for several hours as they harrassed and questioned him in an attempt to get him to incriminate himself for something. He was on his way home to Sherman after driving his fiancee back to her apartment in Richardson after her car broke down. He wasn't drinking or using drugs, wouldn't admit to drinking or drugging, and wouldn't give them consent to search his vehicle. He barely made it home in time to get to work (he's a teacher), and was issued a speeding ticket after all the hassle. I know others who have been "detained" for lengthy periods of time by Melissa PD as well. Consider yourself lucky for having a positive LEO contact in Melissa-most don't.

mgood

Post by mgood »

Morgan wrote:He was booked, strip searched, and sat for 3 hours with criminals. “People talking about using drugs and shooting heroin. They asked me what I was in there for and I said a turn signal violation,” said Robinson.

....and they all moved away from me on the bench there, until I said, "And creating a nuisance!" and the all came back and we had fun filling out the forms and playing with the pencils there on the Group W bench....
:clapping: :smilelol5:
You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”