Arkansas Highway Patrol

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
funkychateau
Posts in topic: 1

Arkansas Highway Patrol

Post by funkychateau »

This occured about four years ago, the week before Christmas. I was driving to Memphis, Tennessee, on I-40 east of Little Rock. I was pulled over by two Arkansas Highway Patrol, for a "license check". Broad daylight. I drive a standard-cab pickup, so there were several lidded plastic containers in the bed (clothes for me and Christmas gifts for the family. I'm also in my 50s, and don't look like a stereotypical drug runner.

I told AHP #1 that I had a concealed handgun in a bag behind the seat, and he asked to see it. He removed it (.40 Glock) from the fanny pack, fumbled around for a few seconds, then asked me to unload it. He looked at my CHL. He then asked my girlfriend and I to step out of the truck, and asked me to sign a consent to search form so that he could go through the truck and containers. I just looked at him funny, and he added "so we don't have to wait here several hours for a warrant". So I thought about what I might have that could get me in trouble (couldn't think of anything), thought about how late I'd be to my family reunion if I were delayed four hours, and signed. AHP #2 then asked me if I had any drugs. I wanted to say "no, would you like a donut?", but I just said "no".

After thirty minutes of poking through my stuff, they gave back my license and let me go. AHP #1 gave me a stern lecture about carrying a loaded gun - he said concealed carry requires that you keep the chamber empty. First I'd ever heard of that, but since I didn't know Arkanas specifics I just thanked him for the info.

Martin

McKnife

Re: Arkansas Highway Patrol

Post by McKnife »

"I don't consent to any search!"

"Am I being detained?"

"Am I free to go?"

"Good day."

Now ya know. :banghead: :smash: :txflag:

_Nothing else to see here, carry on_
:coolgleamA:

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

Never sign those. They can't get probable cause just because and no warrant would have been issued if the situation happened as you decsribed. A license check by the way? Sounds fishy...
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

McKnife wrote:"I don't consent to any search!"

"Am I being detained?"

"Am I free to go?"

"Good day."

Now ya know. :banghead: :smash: :txflag:

_Nothing else to see here, carry on_
And....
AHP #1 gave me a stern lecture about carrying a loaded gun - he said concealed carry requires that you keep the chamber empty.
....."I really suggest you learn your own state's laws instead of misinforming the public."

CHL/LEO

Post by CHL/LEO »

and asked me to sign a consent to search form so that he could go through the truck and containers.
Is this traffic stop being recorded? It is - good! First, to answer your question - nope. Second, what's your probable cause for the Warrant Affidavit? Third, am I free to go?

This was a fishing expedition and your vehicle somehow fit the profile that they have for narcotics trafficking.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Deleted double post.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”