My first LEO encounter after receiving my license

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Hos
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My first LEO encounter after receiving my license

Post by Hos »

I know this forum hates laws re: chl but I can see why a LEO wants to know if the chl'er is armed for their own safety. If the law were to be changed I'd say to make it where ALL car pistol carriers would need to tell LEO, not where no one would have to say. Probably an unpopular opinion but it's no big deal to hand over a license IMO.

Who else should we hand it to if not LEO at a stop?
God, Goats, and Guns

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Liberty wrote: While I don't recommend ignoring any old laws, We all break laws at some point or another.
That is true, and I violate traffic codes and other laws all of the time. With the number of laws on the books one cannot do anything without breaking a law. That is not the point of this thread.

Showing your CHL when asked for ID is the point and Charles' post affirms the requirement.

What other firearms laws are we going to publicly post that we intend to violate and then claim we are the good guys when we encounter an LEO that disarms us? We can not have it both ways.

If you do not want to go through the hassle of explaining the Utah CHL, get your Texas CHL. Problem solved.

Anygunanywhere
Please understand I wasn't suggesting that I was breaking or intending on breaking any law. I have my Texas CHL, and have always displayed my CHL when asked for ID even if not required. While Charles suggested he believes that the law does state that carrying a Utah CCL does require that one present it when asked for an ID. I propose that there is reasonable doubt that the law does apply to an out of state permit and that there is no penalty. If there is no penalty is there really law?

I do understand that Charles is a lawyer and I am not, he writes the law and I'm only a legislator wannabe. Yet, I do believe that my point is valid. I will accept that I'm wrong if someone can explain that my defense logic is unreasonable or that there is a realistic risk of penalty. My reasoning is that showing the Utah CCL when asked for an ID is more likely to have unpleasant results than not showing it. At least if its at a typical traffic stop. Remember what the penalty is for not offering the CCL. And how cops can behave if they suspect unlawful carry. If there is no penalty is there really a crime? The advice to get the Texas CHL is good, unfortunately there are certain people who are ineligible for the Texas CHL who are eligible for Utah's CCL.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

boomerang
Posts in topic: 5

Post by boomerang »

Liberty wrote:I propose that there is reasonable doubt that the law does apply to an out of state permit and that there is no penalty. If there is no penalty is there really law?
Like the time limit in the CHL law for DPS to process applications and issue a license?

:leaving
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

boomerang wrote:
Liberty wrote:I propose that there is reasonable doubt that the law does apply to an out of state permit and that there is no penalty. If there is no penalty is there really law?
Like the time limit in the CHL law for DPS to process applications and issue a license?

:leaving
Yeah, something like that. or Galveston's illegal 30.06 signs.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KingOfDirk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KingOfDirk »

Guys, I hate to ask a dumb question, but...

If one has never been in Utah, and has no plans to visit Utah, why apply for (and get) a Utah CHL? Are there states with which Utah enjoys reciprocity that don't grant same to Texas CHL holders? I can think of no other reason, but then again I'm not all that bright.

Thanks in advance! :tiphat:
"...the person who loves everybody and feels at home everywhere is the true hater of mankind. He expects nothing of men, so no form of depravity can outrage him."

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

KingOfDirk wrote:Guys, I hate to ask a dumb question, but...

If one has never been in Utah, and has no plans to visit Utah, why apply for (and get) a Utah CHL? Are there states with which Utah enjoys reciprocity that don't grant same to Texas CHL holders?

That's correct. I forget which states, but there are 3 or 4 of them.
NRA lifetime member

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

If one has never been in Utah, and has no plans to visit Utah, why apply for (and get) a Utah CHL? Are there states with which Utah enjoys reciprocity that don't grant same to Texas CHL holders? I can think of no other reason, but then again I'm not all that bright.

Washington, Minnesota, Ohio, and Nevada
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

KingOfDirk wrote:If one has never been in Utah, and has no plans to visit Utah, why apply for (and get) a Utah CHL? Are there states with which Utah enjoys reciprocity that don't grant same to Texas CHL holders? I can think of no other reason, but then again I'm not all that bright.
There is also the possibility that you can get the Utah CHL and use it in Texas while you are waiting for your Texas CHL or renewal, or to replace a lost CHL or things of that nature.
Steve Rothstein

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Crossfire wrote:

Washington, Minnesota, Ohio, and Nevada
I think we have Minnesota now, but I could be wrong.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

right off Minnesota's DPS website.

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/Doc ... tates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OUT OF STATE PERMITS VALID IN MINNESOTA

Minnesota laws authorize individuals holding gun permits from the following states to carry in Minnesota:

Alaska
Arkansas
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
New Mexico
Nevada
Ohio
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Wyoming

Please note that the permit issued by your state does not supersede Minnesota’s laws or regulations. Legal conduct in your state may not be legal in Minnesota.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sss

Post by sss »

KingOfDirk wrote:If one has never been in Utah, and has no plans to visit Utah, why apply for (and get) a Utah CHL? Are there states with which Utah enjoys reciprocity that don't grant same to Texas CHL holders? I can think of no other reason, but then again I'm not all that bright.
Not sure why the OP went for a Utah CHL, but I thought I'd give you guys my perspective about deciding on an out-of-state concealed carry license over a Texas CHL. I decided to go with a non-resident Florida CWL instead of the Texas CHL for several reasons -- mostly because it was cheaper, the processing times are much faster, and the license is valid for 7 years. My company's HQ is in Orlando, so I took my class and took care of the application while I had some spare time in December.

My Florida CWL is valid in Texas as well as all the other states where I regularly travel: http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your mileage may vary, but this was the best choice for me. I see no reason for me to go ahead and apply for a Texas CHL in addition to this.
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

flb_78 wrote:right off Minnesota's DPS website.

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/Doc ... tates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OUT OF STATE PERMITS VALID IN MINNESOTA

Minnesota laws authorize individuals holding gun permits from the following states to carry in Minnesota:

Alaska
Arkansas
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
New Mexico
Nevada
Ohio
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Wyoming

Please note that the permit issued by your state does not supersede Minnesota’s laws or regulations. Legal conduct in your state may not be legal in Minnesota.
Minnesota does not have a reciprocal agreement with Texas, and is not listed on the Texas DPS website. I think this is the only state that we have a backwards unilateral relationship with.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

That's because Minnesota is a backwards state... :grumble
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »