New member with a story...

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Glockamolie
Posts in topic: 3

New member with a story...

Post by Glockamolie »

Back in 2003, I was going with a friend from Katy to Tulsa, OK for a car show weekend. We couldn't leave until after work on Friday, so we knew it was going to be a late night. As we traveled up I45, we got hungry, and took an exit in hopes of finding a fast-food place. This was somewhere south of Corsicana, but I can't recall the county where this started. Anyway, we were unsuccesful in finding food, so we got back on I45 headed north. It's now about 11pm or so.

About as soon as I merge onto I45, there's an older Ford Explorer with the interior light on, traveling maybe 45-50mph. Before I took it all in, I see the guy weaving across both lanes of traffic, hitting dirt/gravel on the right, and going over the line on the left. My buddy tells me it looks like he's trying to light something, like maybe a cigarette. I get in behind him in the right lane, and call 911. This guy had already proven dangerous. I get a dispatcher, and tell her the plate, and what is happening. After that brief call, I hung up, and got in the left lane to go around.

After I went around, I planned on getting up to highway speed and going about my business. However as I sped up, he did too, swering back and forth right off of my bumper. After getting up to highway speed, he was still there, at times close enough where I couldn't even see his headlights. I sped up more and he did too. Now I knew I was in trouble, as I couldn't attempt to let him pass, as he may accidentally (or intentionally) PIT me.

I dialed 911 again, and handed the phone to my buddy. As 911 picked up we were doing some high speeds, with Mr. Moron taking up both lanes maybe a car length behind me. He got closer, and I figured he was either out of it, or trying to ram me. Pretty soon, we were doing triple digit speeds up I45. I was in my wife's 2003 Dodge Hemi truck, and it was all of a week old. The bad news is that it has a 108mph speed limiter.

After a couple of miles of this, and my buddy getting transferred to different dispatchers twice, we pass a trooper on a traffic stop. We learn later he had no knowledge of what what going on. After another mile or two, I see a trooper with the car in the median, and another off the shoulder to the right. We fly by, with the truck doing all it would do, and Mr. Moron right on our butt. They give chase, and the lead trooper doesn't light us up immediately. I'm hoping they're getting Mr. Moron on tape.

The trooper lights us up after a short time, and I signal way in advance, and begin to pull right. The lead trooper gets between my truck and his, and the other one stops behind the Explorer. The lead trooper comes up to me, and I can't see what's going on behind us. She asks for my DL, for which I'm already prepared with my DL, CHL, and proof of insurance. I didn't say a word. She looks at what I hand her, and says, "Where is it?" I say something like, "If you're asking about guns, there's one in my right front pocket, and two in the console." My buddy, an Army recruiter at the time, also has his CHL. The gun in my pocket is a Keltec P32 (try to supress your laughter), and in the console is my Kimber polymer double-stack .45, and my buddy's Kimber Pro Carry. She says, "Don't touch them." I'm thinking if I was going to do that, it would have been about 5 miles back!

Anyway, a few minutes later, another trooper comes up. He was the one on the traffic stop a few miles back. He tells us that Mr. Moron had hit the highway reflectors and/or those grooves on the side that let you know you're over the line on the right side of the highway just before he passed him, and he briefly braced for a hit. The guy had gotten back in his lane not long before passing the trooper. That trooper was not very happy!

For a minute of the questioning, it seemed like the female trooper wasn't too happy with me, asking why I didn't just slow down. I told her that this guy was ALL over the road, and I thought he was intentionally trying to hit me. She said she had me at about 105mph when we passed. I told her if the truck would have gone faster, I would have been doing more! So we sit. For about 15-20 minutes.

It ends with Mr. Moron getting a free ride in the back seat of a Crown Vic, and my buddy and I filled out detailed statements as to the events. By posting this, I realize some LEOs may be out there reading, and may know the troopers in question. Therefore, this is true and correct, to the best of my recollection.

As for me, I was in law enforcement for a brief time about 12 years ago. I found that I wasn't cut out for police work, but I still of course respect law enforcement and the hard job that they do. This was a positive encounter that I can now laugh about, and hopefully learned from.
Last edited by Glockamolie on Sun May 14, 2006 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Brandon

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

Welcome to the forum, Brandon. Great nickname, by the way! :grin:

That's a pretty wild story. The fact that you didn't get a traffic ticket is a good example of the legal theory of "competing harms"; you were forced to break the law in order to not suffer greater harm to yourself.

Oh, just one minor complaint... hit the return key now and then, okay? Paragraphs are our friends. ;-)

I look forward to more participation from you in the forum. Welcome!

Kevin

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Some of us are early risers. Some late nighters. Welcome aboard. You probably gave us the longest intro post we have had. It won't take long to get acquainted. I too think you chose a creative screen name. Have a great Day.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
Glockamolie

Post by Glockamolie »

KBCraig wrote:Oh, just one minor complaint... hit the return key now and then, okay? Paragraphs are our friends. ;-)
Kevin
:lol:

I got on a roll, and just kept going. Let's see if I can edit it for a little clarity...
- Brandon

Diode

Post by Diode »

Welcome, interesting story. Kinda funny, There is a real strange Shell station / Store right about where you were. I stopped on the way to Dallas one time and there 2 guys fixing to go to blows over the last Jalapino hot dog
in the warmer, it was like 8am. I paid for my coffee and go on down the road....

see ya

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

Did you ever find out what was wrong with Mr. Moron? Drunk, high, just plain mad?

Topic author
Glockamolie

Post by Glockamolie »

Flatland2D wrote:Did you ever find out what was wrong with Mr. Moron? Drunk, high, just plain mad?
They said he had some weed, an open container, and an illegal knife, but they never did specify what all charges they intended to pursue. I hate to make judgement based on looks, but this guy had the wife-beater t-shirt, a semi-mullet haircut, various tattoos, etc. I'm a clean-cut guy with a clean record and a CHL. I'm sure that helped my position.
- Brandon

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

... snip I hate to make judgement based on looks, but this guy had the wife-beater t-shirt, a semi-mullet haircut, various tattoos, etc. I'm a clean-cut guy with a clean record and a CHL.
... snip

Hey, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ...

LOL

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”