LEO tearing up a tick cause of CHL

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
LedJedi
Posts in topic: 6

LEO tearing up a tick cause of CHL

Post by LedJedi »

wow, i'm a little bit speechless over this...

wife just got popped going 10 mph over the limit. She was 100% in the wrong, but just didn't know the limit changed.

5 minutes after she got the ticket her cell phone rang. It was the officer telling her to tear up her ticket because he was going to tear up his because she's a college student and because she has a chl and you have to be a pretty upstanding citizen to even get a chl... almost his words verbatum from my wife.

pretty cool... :)

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Re: LEO tearing up a tick cause of CHL

Post by Purplehood »

LedJedi wrote:wow, i'm a little bit speechless over this...

wife just got popped going 10 mph over the limit. She was 100% in the wrong, but just didn't know the limit changed.

5 minutes after she got the ticket her cell phone rang. It was the officer telling her to tear up her ticket because he was going to tear up his because she's a college student and because she has a chl and you have to be a pretty upstanding citizen to even get a chl... almost his words verbatum from my wife.

pretty cool... :)
The force is apparently with her.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AEA »

Strange.......

That he didn't talk to her about that when he stopped her..... :???:

and

That he happened to have her Cell number....... :shock:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

AEA wrote:Strange.......

That he didn't talk to her about that when he stopped her..... :???:

and

That he happened to have her Cell number....... :shock:
they ask for phone numbers when they do the ticket. We dont have land lines anymore, only cell phones so she gave hers.

It is interesting he didn't just give her a warning or something right off the bat. Guess he had a change of heart. :)
:thewave

gemini
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gemini »

Or maybe one of his fellow officers that is pro-CHL enlightened him. The LEO's I know
are all for the CHL program in Texas. They encourage their own wives to take the classes.
They do realize the effort involved, back ground check etc required to obtain the license.
The fact that very, very, very few CHL's are ever involved in any type of criminal activity.
I've had many lengthy discussions with these guys and they have no problem with CHL's carrying
anywhere. Including schools etc. They are mostly interested in what particular weapon I prefer to
carry and do I like it and why. Normal gun conversations. Sorry for the ramble, back on topic:
I'm glad your wife caught a break!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

When did they start asking for phone numbers? It has been several years since I've been ticketed and don't remember being asked for a number. That and the call all sound strange. I don't know how, but would find a way to check and see if he did not tear up the ticket.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ELB

Post by ELB »

I have to say something sounds odd here. Not a cop, but I have been in government bureaucratic organizations, and it just strikes me as odd that a policeman would tear up a ticket once it is issued. A ticket sounds like something that would be numbered and watched somewhat closely to prevent bad cops from writing tickets and collecting on-the-spot fines...and then tearing up the copy in his ticket book. And the phone number part sounds odd too. I have gotten a total of maybe two tickets and warning in my life, spread out over many years and two countries, but I was not asked for my phone number...

Even if this not how the constabulary works, if she really got a ticket, I would not just ignore it. I would follow up and make sure it really went away. Ignoring a ticket will result in more trouble than the ticket itself...
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

ELB wrote:I have to say something sounds odd here. Not a cop, but I have been in government bureaucratic organizations, and it just strikes me as odd that a policeman would tear up a ticket once it is issued. A ticket sounds like something that would be numbered and watched somewhat closely to prevent bad cops from writing tickets and collecting on-the-spot fines...and then tearing up the copy in his ticket book. And the phone number part sounds odd too. I have gotten a total of maybe two tickets and warning in my life, spread out over many years and two countries, but I was not asked for my phone number...

Even if this not how the constabulary works, if she really got a ticket, I would not just ignore it. I would follow up and make sure it really went away. Ignoring a ticket will result in more trouble than the ticket itself...
Ha, last time i got ticketed (downtown houston) the officer not only asked for my number but also where I work, work address and work phone.

yeah, i told her not to tear up the ticket and we're going to give it a week or so and call to make sure there's not a ticket out for her.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Last ticket I got they asked me where I worked phone numbers etc. I was cooperative untill they asked for my social security number. I told the officer that I am not required to give that information, he claimed I was, but he quickly backed down.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

When I was an LEO the tickets were uniquely numbered and had to be accounted for. There was no tearing any of them up. If I needed to "void" one I filled out a report stating why. I don't know other departments rules but I would definitely be cautious about this one.

You should have the badge number of the Officer. Perhaps you can get in touch with him to verify the conversation. You could also, discretely talk to other LEOs in the department to find out their department rules for this sort of thing.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

Maybe the call was a practical joke?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

I doubt the call was a joke. She said is definitely was the LEO on the phone.

So, you guys have me really thinking about this now. How do we go about verifying that the ticket was actually destroyed?

We dont have a number for the police officer. He called her cell phone but it showed up as "restricted" and didn't leave a number.

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AEA »

Wait for the notice to appear (after not paying) or wait further for the arrest by warrant (could take several years, or next traffic stop once warrant is issued).
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

She can just contact the agency that the officer worked for and ask if they have an outstanding traffic ticket that she needs to pay. They should advise if there is anything pending.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

ELB wrote: A ticket sounds like something that would be numbered and watched somewhat closely to prevent bad cops from writing tickets and collecting on-the-spot fines...and then tearing up the copy in his ticket book.

It would look kind of weird when the citizen contacted the court and presented their copy of the citation.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”