Passing a school bus

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

gigag04
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Positive, professional contact

Post by gigag04 »

KD5NRH wrote:
srothstein wrote:Before you plead guilty, you might want to check on another option. Deferred adjudication is always a possibility. Defensive driving is a specialized version of this, but there is a general deferred adjudication also.
IIRC, deferred adjudication on a class B still has the same CHL issues as any other class B conviction.
Correct. Deferred adjudication == conviction.

chabouk wrote:You should also find out exactly where the bus stops. If I'm understanding this correctly, you turned right out of a business driveway while a bus was stopped across the street. There might be a very good argument that you didn't "pass" the bus at all.
:roll:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
LarryH
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Positive, professional contact

Post by LarryH »

chabouk wrote:You should also find out exactly where the bus stops. If I'm understanding this correctly, you turned right out of a business driveway while a bus was stopped across the street. There might be a very good argument that you didn't "pass" the bus at all.
The location written on the ticket (4100 block of NASA 1) is several blocks from the gas station (Repsdorph and NASA 1). I was westbound and he was eastbound on NASA 1, so he couldn't have seen me exit the station. Sorry for the confusion; guess y'all interpreted my comment about just leaving the station more precisely than I meant it.

When I saw him coming the other way, I quickly looked at my speedometer. It's possible that's why I didn't see the bus. I do plan to check the location of the bus stop -- there are a couple of sizable apartment complexes right in that block.

Topic author
LarryH

Re: Passing a school bus

Post by LarryH »

At the time of my original post, I was unaware of the possible consequences of the offense, so I've changed the name of the thread to better reflect subsequent thoughts.

AJ80
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJ80 »

Wow, I'll sure keep an eye on this thread as I encounter school buses regularly, as I'm sure everyone else does as well.
I've never really liked school buses, not because I have to stop for them, just what I associate them with, but my dislike of school buses doesn't belong in this thread, so I'll say no more on that.

I hope you get the ticket situation straightened out. Be sure to keep us all updated.

Topic author
LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Thanks. I have talked to my lawyer and discussed possible strategies, but I'll say no more about that until later.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

This is off the main topic, but does anyone know the maximum speed reduction allowed for school zones? I found something in TxDOT standards that you can't reduce speed by more than 15MPH. I.e. on a highway no more than 50 from 65 at a time. Where I live we have several roads that are 40 and 45 MPH and still have 20MPH school zones. I was going to ask the PD but now I see they installed speed reduction signs before the actual school zone. The yellow diamond with the B&W 20. It still reduces the permitted speed limit by more than 15 MPH. I know in a rural area I frequently drive the limit is 50 and the school zone is 35MPH.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

chabouk
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chabouk »

puma guy wrote:This is off the main topic, but does anyone know the maximum speed reduction allowed for school zones?
I don't know, but most of the "school zones" around here are ridiculous. Not for the speed reduction, but for the fact that they exist at all.

It's one thing to have a school zone at an elementary school in a neighborhood with sidewalks and crossing guards, but it's quite another to have one on a 5 lane highway with no sidewalks, no crosswalks, and a high school that sits 1/4 mile off the road. It's flat-out ridiculous to have one at the college.

chartreuse

Post by chartreuse »

chabouk wrote:
puma guy wrote:This is off the main topic, but does anyone know the maximum speed reduction allowed for school zones?
I don't know, but most of the "school zones" around here are ridiculous. Not for the speed reduction, but for the fact that they exist at all.

It's one thing to have a school zone at an elementary school in a neighborhood with sidewalks and crossing guards, but it's quite another to have one on a 5 lane highway with no sidewalks, no crosswalks, and a high school that sits 1/4 mile off the road. It's flat-out ridiculous to have one at the college.
But... but... Won't somebody please think of the children?! ;-)

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WildBill »

chartreuse wrote:
chabouk wrote:

Ed Zachary! :smilelol5:
NRA Endowment Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

chartreuse wrote:
chabouk wrote:

I'm all for protecting the kids, but some zones are obviously about the money. I don't know for sure but I'd bet cities get to keep the majority of fines for school zone infractions. Ka-ching!! Ka-ching!!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

gabe

Post by gabe »

Maybe the students at those high school aren't smart enough to know they shouldn't play in traffic.
"it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government" - John Hancock et alii

Topic author
LarryH

Post by LarryH »

My lawyer called yesterday. Based on his talks with the prosecutor, passing a stopped school bus is definitely a Class C, so will not affect CHL. That being the case, we'll go with "no contest" and request deferred adjudication.

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

puma guy wrote:
chartreuse wrote:
chabouk wrote:

I'm all for protecting the kids, but some zones are obviously about the money. I don't know for sure but I'd bet cities get to keep the majority of fines for school zone infractions. Ka-ching!! Ka-ching!!
They are there because there's a school there or nearby. Seriously, get real here.

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

gabe wrote:Maybe the students at those high school aren't smart enough to know they shouldn't play in traffic.
Or maybe its an elementary school and they are tried to keep 6 year olds from being run over by idiots who have no business driving. I am not saying anyone on this board is an idiot or a bad driver, but I've seen some real idiot drivers cruising through school zones going 50, totally oblivious on their cell phones etc. etc. I've pulled a kid aside who nearly got plastered by someone speeding through in a lane packed with parked cars on both sides with minimal LOS and buses all over the place. I have 0 sympathy and 0 tolerance.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WildBill »

LarryH wrote:My lawyer called yesterday. Based on his talks with the prosecutor, passing a stopped school bus is definitely a Class C, so will not affect CHL. That being the case, we'll go with "no contest" and request deferred adjudication.
That's good news. Thanks for the update.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”