Thinking about signing up for a "Ride Along"

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Thinking about signing up for a "Ride Along"

Post by The Marshal »

My understanding, Rockwall allows you to sign up for a "Ride Along" with an officer in the evening.

I think this would be a good experience for me.

Any thoughts on this?
Anyone done this before?

~Bill

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I haven't done it, but I think that would be a great experience as well. I'm going to have to look into that...

Wonder if you could carry during the ride along?

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txinvestigator »

I had many ride-a-longs when I was an officer. It is a great experience for both officer and citizen.

Most departments have a strict no-gun policy for riders.
Last edited by txinvestigator on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

txinvestigator wrote:I had many ride-a-longs when I was an officer. It is a grerat expereince for both officer and citizen.

I've always wondered if the officers feel that this ride-a-long thing is a pain in the rear. I always thought having a civilian in the car would limit what they can do.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

propellerhead wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:I had many ride-a-longs when I was an officer. It is a great experience for both officer and citizen.

I've always wondered if the officers feel that this ride-a-long thing is a pain in the rear. I always thought having a civilian in the car would limit what they can do.
Some may not like it, I don't know. I always welcomed it. Most people have NO IDEA what the actual job of a cop is like. when the person gets in the car with you and sees for himself that the guy you stopped WAS speeding, but still gave you a hard time.......etc.

I had a woman ride once who basically said, "I want you to know up front that the only reason I am riding is to see why cops have such a chip on their shoulders". :eek6

I always took my time to explain why we do everything we do and allowed the rider to ask questions AFTER each call. By the end of the night she was a supporter. She had a 'them vs us' attitude regarding civilians and the police. During the ride, she became one of the "cops" in her mind, since everything she observed was from my POV, which made it her POV.

She even wrote a glowing letter to the Chief and Mayor.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

If most officers have a positive attitude towards the ride-a-long program, then I think I'll go sign up. I've always wanted to do so. Thanks.

barres

Post by barres »

The city I live in has what it calls a "Citizens Police Academy." Several weekly "classes" to familiarize John Q. Public with what it means/takes to be a LEO here. It culminates with a day at the police gun range and an evening ride-along. I went through it about 10 years ago.

I think it was/is an excellent program. All the officers I have ever talked to about it are very supportive. I was too young to have a CHL when I went on the ride-along, but one of my "classmates" said the officer he rode with told him there was a BUG between the seats of the cruiser, should things get really ugly. (I can't use his exact words - ten year-old daughter rule.)

All-in-all, I got to see a couple of people talk their way out of tickets and got to sign an affidavit as a witness to a drug bust that started out as a noise complaint. If you have the opportunity to do something like this, I highly recommend it.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

cyphur wrote:I haven't done it, but I think that would be a great experience as well. I'm going to have to look into that...

Wonder if you could carry during the ride along?
Cyphur,
Your city has a Citizens Police Academy and allows ride-a-longs with in that. Not sure if you can just sign up to ride along w/o the academy though. Call 972-485-4840 And I'm sure the will happily answer your questions.
Your city also has an EXCELLENT Citizens Fire Academy, but that is another topic.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I did a ride along several years ago with Ft Worth PD. It was just before I decided to get my CHL and, in fact, was one of the things that helped me decide.

The officer was very polite and seemed like he was genuinely happy to have the company. Most of the night was ho-hum, boring stuff, but all in all, it was an eye-opening experience.

I would highly recommend it.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

flintknapper
Banned

Re: Thinking about signing up for a "Ride Along"

Post by flintknapper »

The Marshal wrote:My understanding, Rockwall allows you to sign up for a "Ride Along" with an officer in the evening.

I think this would be a good experience for me.

Any thoughts on this?
Anyone done this before?

~Bill

Contact Sgt. Paul Britt, he can probably help you with this. Tell him everyone at Lansdales said hi, he'll know what it means.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

I too participated in my community's Citizens Police Academy. It was rather time consuming (40 hours total) but I enjoyed most of it.

The ride along and the range time were two of the best parts. They told us that there are some officers that enjoy riders, and some that don't. Since they want the citizens to enjoy the experience they dont put people with the officers that don't want them there.

I think you would enjoy it.

piro

Post by piro »

Just got off the phone with austin pd and they to have a ride along program for anyone interested.

I am thinking about checking it out.

Glockamolie

Post by Glockamolie »

Before I was in LE, I contacted a State Trooper and asked about it. He was an older Corporal, a few years from retirement. I was a Junior at SHSU, majoring in Criminal Justice. He picked me up on a Saturday night, as I was watching COPS on tv. After getting to know him (and knowing when to SHUT UP), I looked down and said, "Sig 220?" He asked if I was familiar with guns, and I told him I was. He showed me where the trunk button was, should I NEED the shotgun. Late in the night, he arrested a DWI in the middle of nowhere, and I found out one of the reasons he likes a ride-along: He offered the arrestee to save the towing fee, and that I would follow them in his car and park it at the PD where he did the breathalyzer. It saved about 30 minutes waiting on a wrecker in the boonies. Trooper Olenick (Brazoria County), wherever you are, thanks for a great introduction into being a police officer.

I would recommend it should you have the opportunity.
- Brandon

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

piro wrote:Just got off the phone with austin pd and they to have a ride along program for anyone interested.

I am thinking about checking it out.
I am thinking more WilCo / Leander, but thanks for the info! Maybe Cedar Park or Georgetown (got a friend at G-Town).

SW40VE

Post by SW40VE »

I submitted a request online for a ride along with SAPD....noone ever called me back or sent me anything. Hmmm...
Springfield Armory XD 9mm Service
Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
ROHM RG-26
Yugo SKS (DIY USA Transplant)
56 days to receive my CHL

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”