Motorcycle Lighting Question for LEO

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gemini
Posts in topic: 19

Re: Motorcycle Lighting Question for LEO

Post by gemini »

trdvet wrote:
Glockster wrote:I've been wondering about the white or amber, and whether that does mean that no other colors are allowed.
That's how I read it, white or amber (non flashing). It specifically mentions LEDs, what if you have neons? Surprised they made it so narrow.
Hmmmm.... maybe a lawyer will step in here to help clarify. It specifically mentions LED's, and white or amber, non flashing, as being
allowed. However, many laws specifically forbid certain items or actions. And, I guess that's the basis of my question. This one does not
specifically forbid other colors. I can see interpreting this Bill either way. As in now allowing white/amber, LED's as down lighting. Or,
as in now allowing white/amber down lighting in addition to other colors......as if white/amber had been illegal previously.

Personally I try to not ride at night. However, if I have to, and I'm on a highway or Interstate, I will turn on my down lighting. It's
blue. It only lights the engine and the ground immediately beneath. But it does increase side visibility and visibility from those approaching from the rear.
It can not be seen in the rear view mirror of the traffic in front of the bike. That is the only time I use the down lighting. I'd hate to have
to pull all the hidden LED's and rewire just to make a color change.

Edit to ask an off topic question: Any Austinites able to report if ROT went off problem free or was there trouble in capital city? Thanks.

Glockster
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Motorcycle Lighting Question for LEO

Post by Glockster »

gemini wrote:
trdvet wrote:
Glockster wrote:I've been wondering about the white or amber, and whether that does mean that no other colors are allowed.
That's how I read it, white or amber (non flashing). It specifically mentions LEDs, what if you have neons? Surprised they made it so narrow.
Hmmmm.... maybe a lawyer will step in here to help clarify. It specifically mentions LED's, and white or amber, non flashing, as being
allowed. However, many laws specifically forbid certain items or actions. And, I guess that's the basis of my question. This one does not
specifically forbid other colors. I can see interpreting this Bill either way. As in now allowing white/amber, LED's as down lighting. Or,
as in now allowing white/amber down lighting in addition to other colors......as if white/amber had been illegal previously.

Personally I try to not ride at night. However, if I have to, and I'm on a highway or Interstate, I will turn on my down lighting. It's
blue. It only lights the engine and the ground immediately beneath. But it does increase side visibility and visibility from those approaching from the rear.
It can not be seen in the rear view mirror of the traffic in front of the bike. That is the only time I use the down lighting. I'd hate to have
to pull all the hidden LED's and rewire just to make a color change.

Edit to ask an off topic question: Any Austinites able to report if ROT went off problem free or was there trouble in capital city? Thanks.
Fortunately the lights on my bike can be any color, flashing or not. I also try to avoid any night riding as it's bad enough some times during the day with someone not paying attention. I have a Stratoliner and am the second owner. The first owner was a truck driver who apparently liked lights. I didn't know it had lights until I was closing the deal and the sales guy remembered it as he was handing me the fob for them. I will definitely use white or yellow but love the way that the blue or red or purple also stand out and wish those were allowed as well.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”