DPS stop on I 35

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
AV8R

DPS stop on I 35

Post by AV8R »

Tuesday evening, Walt, my son-in-law, and I were driving from his office in north Fort Worth to Denton on I-35, about an hour after sunset, on our way to the One O'Clock Jazz Band concert at UNT. We were in his "rice rocket," a nifty twin-turbo Honda, a real cop magnet. Just past Hwy. 114, opposite the race track, the engine started missing, and noting that the fuel gauge was below empty, Walt headed for the next exit, about 3/4 mi. ahead, to do a 180 back to the Shell station at the intersection I-35 and 114.

Struggling to keep the fires lit, he blew past the first stop sign on the bridge, right past a Trooper shooting traffic, then on through the second stop sign, and on toward the gas station. The Trooper did a left 270 in hot pursuit, with us shutting down on the access road. As we waited for his arrival, we both retrieved licenses and papers. The Trooper expressed some amazement that we did all of that fancy driving right in front of him, then listened attentively to Walt's explanation about fuel computer recalibration after a run-dry. As he listened, he gave a cursory glance at my CHL and our DLs, not even seeming to notice the Galco fanny pack under my seat belt.

His only questions were if the driver's address was current, and if we could make it back to the gas station. No ticket, no warning, guns were a non-issue, just an offer to help if he could. I hope he makes Colonel.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dws1117 »

Sounds like a really good experience.

Roger Howard

Post by Roger Howard »

That's great. I would drop a letter to his supervisor thanking him for his professionalism.
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: DPS stop on I 35

Post by KBCraig »

AV8R wrote:His only questions were if the driver's address was current, and if we could make it back to the gas station. No ticket, no warning, guns were a non-issue, just an offer to help if he could. I hope he makes Colonel.
Congratulations, you just met a Peace Officer. They're a vanishing breed, being quickly replaced by Law Enforcement Officers.

The former recognize Right from Wrong, and respond appropriately. The latter worship The Rules.

I don't know how popular Victor Hugo is among our readers, but Inspector Javert in Les Misérables was the prototype for what is wrong with modern Law Enforcement Officers: he worshiped The Law, as if it could not be wrong, and acted with complete certitude that he was righteous for pursuing strict adherence to The Law.

Ultimately, Javert had a glimmering of conscience, but he could not live with it. When he realized he had to choose between The Law and actual justice, he killed himself.

Reform would be better than suicide, obviously.

Anyhoo... I strayed a bit. Congratulations on a good contact, and for encountering one of the good guys.

Kevin

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

KBCraig wrote:
AV8R wrote:His only questions were if the driver's address was current, and if we could make it back to the gas station. No ticket, no warning, guns were a non-issue, just an offer to help if he could. I hope he makes Colonel.
Congratulations, you just met a Peace Officer. They're a vanishing breed, being quickly replaced by Law Enforcement Officers.

The former recognize Right from Wrong, and respond appropriately. The latter worship The Rules.

I don't know how popular Victor Hugo is among our readers, but Inspector Javert in Les Misérables was the prototype for what is wrong with modern Law Enforcement Officers: he worshiped The Law, as if it could not be wrong, and acted with complete certitude that he was righteous for pursuing strict adherence to The Law.

Ultimately, Javert had a glimmering of conscience, but he could not live with it. When he realized he had to choose between The Law and actual justice, he killed himself.

Reform would be better than suicide, obviously.

Anyhoo... I strayed a bit. Congratulations on a good contact, and for encountering one of the good guys.

Kevin
I disagree. In my opinion, 'blowing past a stop sign" deserves a ticket. Period. Running out of fuel is not excuse. That's why they put those little gauges on the dash with the little needle that points to "E" when its time to walk.

The driver was lucky and caught a break. It has nothing to do with "peace officer' vs "Law enforcement Officer". part of a cops job is public safety via traffic enforcement. If the driver had struck another vehicle, being low of fuel would have been of no consequence. I wonder if this driver will now take MORE chances because of this break. :roll:

And I don't know about your fictional 19th century character, but ALL of the cops I know, local, county, state and federal, are professional and understand their role. They are compassionate and care about the people the serve. They are also realists who know that some of those people will have to have enforcement taken against them, and that doing so will cause the LEO to be less than popular.

They are willing to go into dangerous situations most of us would run from, work when you are eating turkey, sleeping and going to your kids ball games. The work in extreme circumstances for pay that is well below just compensation. Lets give them a little respect rather than denigrate an entire group.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

Roger hit it...time to write a short note to the Company boss there!
Professional and concerned...whether or not he might have cited you.
Thanks for sharing story.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

"Congratulations, you just met a Peace Officer. They're a vanishing breed, being quickly replaced by Law Enforcement Officers.

The former recognize Right from Wrong, and respond appropriately. The latter worship The Rules."

Very well said.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

txinvestigator wrote:
KBCraig wrote:Congratulations, you just met a Peace Officer. They're a vanishing breed, being quickly replaced by Law Enforcement Officers.

I disagree. In my opinion, 'blowing past a stop sign" deserves a ticket. Period.
You prove my point, sir. Without knowing whether or not there was sufficient visibility, whether or not any traffic was impeded or endangered, you support The Rules. "Period", as you say.

Ninety percent of stop signs should be yield signs; they are at intersections with low traffic and good visibility, where traffic can safely proceed without coming to a complete stop.

The Trooper who was on the scene, who saw the violation and the traffic conditions, apparently felt there was no safety issue, else he would have issued a citation.
Lets give them a little respect rather than denigrate an entire group.
I respect --or denigrate, as appropriate-- individuals, not groups. I have a lot of respect for an officer who evaluated the situation and made a decision. I have little for one who would issue a citation, period, without regard for the circumstances.

Kevin

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

1) Good thing everyone went home safely
2) Good thing your buddy did not get a ticket
3) Is your buddy's car still OK?

On to the armchair quarterbacking . . .

In truth, I think your buddy pulled an accidental Jedi mind trick on the DPS guy, who seems more susceptible than most. The whole (true) yarn about the fuel computer distracted the trooper from the ticket book long enough for the trooper to think more about helping your buddy than ticketing him.

I generally observe the 1/2 tank rule (OK, sometimes I push it to 1/4 tank), so these things can be avoided. I have to agree with Mr TXI on the fuel issue, and your buddy should rethink his fuel planning, lest he has a real near-miss (or worse) next time.

But I have to agree with KBCraig on the whole Peace Officer vs Law Enforcement Officer, discretionary thing, and have done so for quite a while. Try to enforce every law on the books (some laws are never read by the legislators who vote on them) and you end up at war with everyone around you. Net effect is that the penny-ante stuff gets effectively winked at, and the serious stuff gets taken very seriously, because there's only X amount of beds at the iron bar hotel, and the guy with the robe and gavel has limited hours each week. Is this always fair, or Est-ce que c'est toujours juste?, as Javert might say? Hardly, but it is just the way things are in this imperfect world.

40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

KBCraig wrote:Congratulations, you just met a Peace Officer. They're a vanishing breed, being quickly replaced by Law Enforcement Officers.

Excellent statement, MR. Craig.
txinvestigator wrote:I disagree. In my opinion, 'blowing past a stop sign" deserves a ticket. Period.
KBCraig wrote:You prove my point, sir. Without knowing whether or not there was sufficient visibility, whether or not any traffic was impeded or endangered, you support The Rules. "Period", as you say.
Another excellent statement, Mr. Craig.

40FIVER

Topic author
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

KBCraig wrote:Congratulations, you just met a Peace Officer. They're a vanishing breed, being quickly replaced by Law Enforcement Officers............

The former recognize Right from Wrong, and respond appropriately. The latter worship The Rules.............

The Trooper who was on the scene, who saw the violation and the traffic conditions, apparently felt there was no safety issue, else he would have issued a citation.
Kevin
Quite correct, there was no safety issue. Otherwise, we would have stopped. Regrettably, I didn't get a look at the trooper, or his name tag; if I had, I would have already dispatched a complimentary letter. He did distinguish himself, in my estimation, by listening thoughtfully, without bullying or smart remarks; drawing upon the best of his education and training to evaluate the situation and reach a reasonable and appropriate conclusion; and by having confidence in his judgement.

His speech and demeanor suggested to me that he was educated, and likely saw himself as a contributor to the general safety of the public. If this is an example of the modern trend toward hiring better educated applicants and paying them commensurately, I'm all for it.

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

AV8R wrote:He did distinguish himself, in my estimation, by listening thoughtfully, without bullying or smart remarks; drawing upon the best of his education and training to evaluate the situation and reach a reasonable and appropriate conclusion; and by having confidence in his judgement.
My Jedi mind trick comment may require retraction; he sounds genuine from the way you describe him. Wal-Mart and AutoZone still sell the little plastic gas tanks, hint, hint. ;-) Glad everything is OK.

Topic author
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

yerasimos wrote:1) Good thing everyone went home safely
2) Good thing your buddy did not get a ticket
3) Is your buddy's car still OK?

On to the armchair quarterbacking . . .
Thanks for the comments, and your concern. Yes, the son-in-law (and buddy as well) still has functioning wheels, although quite a bit of water and debris were sucked into the filters, causing some decrease in fuel pressure and map offset. I had to leave early the next day, but I think a few minutes of work on the laptop will have the 3-D map square again. All seems to have ended well.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”