Got myself stopped today.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Derf00
Posts in topic: 2

Got myself stopped today.

Post by Derf00 »

While I was working today, I happened to follow a motorcycle LEO down a street and as we approched an intersection, the light turned yellow, he went through and so did I, as it was still yellow. At the next intersection he turned on his lights and pointed back at me to turn the corner.

I turned the corner and pulled to the curb, and as he approached my truck I pulled my license, my CHL and Certificat of Ins. When he got to the window I handed it all to him and said, "the light was still yellow."

He immediately said, "I was going to give you a warning, but if you want to argue about it I can write you a sitation and you can argue with the judge." He then looked at my DL, CHL, and my Cert of Ins. and said, if you think about it, wasn't that light red?" "Yes sir."

He handed me my stuff and said, "Have a nice day," and walked away.

Even though it was in its case and not in plain view, my Wilson was laying on the seat next to me.

All in all I conside that a good stop.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Got myself stopped today.

Post by KBCraig »

Derf00 wrote:He immediately said, "I was going to give you a warning, but if you want to argue about it I can write you a sitation and you can argue with the judge."

. . .

All in all I consider that a good stop.
I don't.

Motor cops tend to have the worst attitudes.

Kevin

BambooShoots

Post by BambooShoots »

It kind of seems like that police officer wanted to impose their superiority over you.
Last edited by BambooShoots on Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Derf00 wrote:He immediately said, "I was going to give you a warning, but if you want to argue about it I can write you a sitation and you can argue with the judge." He then looked at my DL, CHL, and my Cert of Ins. and said, if you think about it, wasn't that light red?"
I consider that inappropriate conduct, but I don't make the rules.

It's because of stuff like this that I hang way back from police vehicles of any kind. I also avoid motorcyles. They can wipe out or have a collision with another vehicle. You need stopping distance.

- Jim

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gregthehand »

If he had written a ticket he would not have had any way to make it stand up in court.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Topic author
Derf00

Post by Derf00 »

I agree with all of the above. As I stated in the title, I got myself stopped; however since I didn't get a ticket I considered it good. Had I kept quiet, he might have been a nice guy. :lol:

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

gregthehand wrote:If he had written a ticket he would not have had any way to make it stand up in court.
What do you mean by this? I'm not disputing the statement, I'm just curious.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Derf00 wrote: He then looked at my DL, CHL, and my Cert of Ins. and said, if you think about it, wasn't that light red?" "Yes sir."
Sounds to me like he was trying to TELL you what color light YOU SAW and HE DIDN"T?

I support law enforcement in any way possible, but I agree with the above statements, this guy had a bad attitude. To say the least.

JLaw

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

BambooShoots wrote:It kind of seems police officers want to impose their superiority over us lesser people.
That's uncalled for, and certainly not supported by this thread.

it kind of seems like some people never got over their inferiority from their parents. :roll: (generalizations are not pleasant, are they?)
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

gregthehand wrote:If he had written a ticket he would not have had any way to make it stand up in court.
I would love for you to expound on that. Really.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

BambooShoots

Post by BambooShoots »

txinvestigator wrote:
BambooShoots wrote:It kind of seems police officers want to impose their superiority over us lesser people.
That's uncalled for, and certainly not supported by this thread.

it kind of seems like some people never got over their inferiority from their parents. :roll: (generalizations are not pleasant, are they?)
Yeah, right before going to bed I just happened to reflect on this post and realized I was being too general. I DO NOT think of all officers that way.

Post edited.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Man...

I come in here smelling smoke...

And son of a gun there's a fire!!!

"txi"

I think he could have beat it in court...The citing officer was already through a yellow cycle at that intersection, and somebody behind him proceeds cautiously through it behind him...

There is no reasonable way to determine if the signalling device cycled to the red condition from his vantage point...

But...Playing devils advocate...

I certainly wouldn't argue or give anything other than yessirs and no sirs at anypoint in an encounter...Its just my nature...Regardless if I feel I've been stopped for any reason, even to have my thumbs put in a vice...

Nobody likes getting zapped these days...Its how you react that either gets you a warning, or a citation...Thats how I look at it...

My CHL (and soon to be arriving CFP) is not considered a get out of a ticket, or free bowl of soup card...Never has, and never will be...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

Sigh :roll: I really don't like going through these kind of convos and stealing away a topic and getting it off topic. Incase you don't know I'm an ex cop, as is txinvestigator, so I know the law, and I've been in traffic court a few times. Look what I'm trying to say is it's hard to say as a cop you observed a light turn red as someone passed over the white line that was behind you and you could not see the light now wouldn't it? You say you timed the light or some other fancy tactic to make sure that guy ran it? Fine my question is how did you time it? Did you use a stop watch? "Once again officer how is it that you observed the light turn red if you had already passed through it?" "If you saw it when you passed under the light how was it that you were able to both look behind, you as well as look up to see the light turn red at the split second it takes a vehicle to pass through the intersection officer?"
Iffy tickets tend to not stick unless the judge just ignores the law, if the person fights it.
Having written tickets for it the way to write someone for running a red light is to set up behind the light where you can see the white line, the light and the cars going away from you in the intersection.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

stevie_d_64 wrote:soon to be arriving CFP
Been out of it and getting back in.

What is this TLA (three letter acronym)?

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

gigag04 wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:soon to be arriving CFP
Been out of it and getting back in.

What is this TLA (three letter acronym)?

-nick
"Utah" Concealed Firearms Permit

Dirn I hope I got that right...embarassing huh...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”