Irving P.D.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Irving P.D.

Post by carlson1 »

At 2:20AM this morning I was sitting in my chair facing my driveway on the phone. I looked up just in time to see the lights on my truck light flash. For a split second I thought I had hit my keep fob although I didn't have my key fob. Then it hit me someone was stealing my truck! I hit the front door pistol in hand, wife was calling 911, there he was in my truck!!! :mad5

I leveled off with my pistol began to scream at the top of my lungs "Don't move! I will shoot! Sit still! Show me your hands!" After what seemed for ever, but probably only minutes He bolted. With ever fiber of my being I stopped myself from squeezing my trigger. It sure wasn't because I did not want to, but thought it best.

I then begin to look closely and carefully in the back of my truck, in my neighbors truck, between our vehicles. Just making sure no one else is around.

Irving P.D. responded within about 3-4 minutes. They were right around the corner. There were 5 police cars. They blocked off my street and begin to spot light from house to house while one officer talked to me. (Officer K. Franklin is a top notch police officer.)

She asked for my D.L. I handed her my D.L. and CHL she immediately handed it back to me and said, "I don't need this you are on your property." They did not get my truck and thank the Lord Jesus I did not have to hurt anyone.

I give an AA++ to the Irving P.D. for the quick response and their professionalism.

Lessons Learned Tonight:
1. Have some security lightning installed out front first thing this morning. I don't have any lights in front of my home.
2. I had been ill and was sitting here in the white to yellow zone. After all I am at home double locked inside with dog, alarm, and gun - right? Who would be so foolish? Wrong attitude and it is not what I was taught or know.
3. Adrenaline still flows after all these years. I have been in too many sticky situations in life, but to the Lord's credit I have never had to finish by pulling a trigger.
4. Don't have tunnel vision. My vision was strictly focused on the one bad guy in my truck. I DID NOT LOOK AROUND. :banghead: If or had he been with a partner with a gun I would have been shot.
5. Have gun and LIGHT at ready. I keep a .357 and a hand held light next to my chair. I also keep my Glock 21 with a streamlight next to my chair. I put my hand on my .357 and knocked the hand held light in the floor. I grabbed the Glock 21 with the streamlight and of course it stayed together.
6. Keep you finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. I actually felt myself pulling the trigger. If I would have still been carrying a 1911 I am afraid it would have went off. Now you 1911 guys can flame me.
7. Expect and practice everything.

I am sure I missed something because I am still keyed up. I am again glad that I did not have to use my pistol, but I am sure glad I have it.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Irving P.D.

Post by mrvmax »

I'm glad it turned out well for you. I think if I was in the same situation I would not have fired either - I'm sure many here will disagree. Thanks for the write up so we can all learn from your real life situation.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Nice response by both you and IPD
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

AEA

Post by AEA »

WOW! :shock:

I'm glad you kept a cool head and that you are OK. :tiphat:

Practice, practice, practice.......
Work hard on your multiple BG's and always keep that in your mind!

Good job Carl! :thumbs2:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm glad the BG didn't force you to shot him.
I'm glad you didn't have to put any holes in your truck. For a second there when you said he bolted I thought he hit the gas and took off in your truck.

Lighting may not seem like much of a deterrent, but it has made the difference in our neighborhood between whose car gets broken into and whose doesn't. So far, we haven't had much of a problem with vehicle theft. I do have a light in front of my house and neither of our vehicles have been broken in to. I have a motion sensor light, but have installed it yet.

No light on my carry gun (G27), but I do have one on the nightstand gun (G22). Foregoing the debate about having the light on the gun or in opposite hand, when I might need the gun and am using the light to illuminate someone my finger is alongside the gun to work the light. It has the momentary on when holding the switch or when flipped the other way, always on. This way my finger is off the trigger until needed.

When I do eventually get a shotgun or rifle capable of holding a light I'll have to work those details out at that time.

You didn't say, so I guess the police did not find the guy?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

C-dub wrote:You didn't say, so I guess the police did not find the guy?
I am willing to bet that when Carlson started screaming, this guy thought he was hearing the almighty voice of God! Not only did they not find him, that guy is probably STILL running! ;-)

Carl, I am so glad you are alright. And even more glad that you did not pull the trigger, as much as you wanted to.

Take care, and get those outside lights installed!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Yeah, belt out that preacher voice and I'll bet that gave him religion fast!! :lol:

Glad he didn't get your truck, you didn't have to shoot him and hope you don't have a lot of damage Carlson. I have had my car broken into in the drive and it is very disconcerting to deal with the aftermath and damage repair. Actually, a real pain in the rear. :banghead:

Hopefully the techs can get prints that will tie it back to a known person and they can get him. Would love to hear his side of the story about being ran off at gunpoint!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I would have given a lot of money to hear Carl bellowing at the guy. "rlol" For those of you that don't know him, he's a brick house with a southern accent. Carl, did he say anything at all or respond in any way other than simply bolting?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

u done good... actually great.

Having also been in "situations" this sticks out to me:
4. Don't have tunnel vision. My vision was strictly focused on the one bad guy in my truck. I DID NOT LOOK AROUND. :banghead: If or had he been with a partner with a gun I would have been shot.
I always tunneled, but snapped out of it asap, (it takes a concious effort, because tunnelling is "normal/natural") probably saved at least 2, maybe 3 lives once when there WAS a second guy holding his gun on 2 employees (I was about to try to disarm the guy with his gun at MY head; I was unarmed back then)I first assessed him, I'm still convinced I could have taken his revolver ... but it wouldn't have been the best option at that time/situation, after I assessed the rest of the surroundings. I just hope if anything future occurs, that I remember ...not to stay/remain in tunnel vision mode the body goes to
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

They did not catch him. The officer told me that this past weekend there were a lot of vehicles stolen in my neighborhood. I knew when I bought the truck last year it was an eye catcher because it caught my eye.

I have the electrician scheduled for 3PM. I am going to Grand Prairie Ford in a little while. The thief did a professional job. He only broke the ignition switch. I am hoping it is something I can afford and do not have to claim my insurance (I just had a claim two months ago for a broken window and a dent.)

He said absolutely nothing. I would have just prayed with him if he would have stopped. ;-)

Something else I learned from tonight is I could not describe one thing. He looked liked a silhouette with an X (ring) at the 20 yard line.

Help me out - I just got off the phone with a friend (DPS) and he swore to me that the theft of a vehicle has been reduced to a State Jail felony. He also told me that he believed the use of force law for a fleeing felon at night had changed. :confused5

Mrs. Linda I may need to come over and set in a class and have dinner.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

carlson1 wrote: Help me out - I just got off the phone with a friend (DPS) and he swore to me that the theft of a vehicle has been reduced to a State Jail felony. He also told me that he believed the use of force law for a fleeing felon at night had changed. :confused5

Mrs. Linda I may need to come over and set in a class and have dinner.
Actually, burglary of a motor vehicle has been reduced to a Misdemeanor. However, if they steal it, it is usually charged under Penal Code §31.07: Unauthorized use of a vehicle and is a state jail felony.

As for the fleeing felon law, it really boils down to theft at night and being able to recover property under § 9.42 and if they were escaping with property that you could not recover. If he has stolen nothing, had abandoned the act, and no longer posed a risk to you or property, then you really can't shoot them and be justified.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

speedsix
Posts in topic: 9

Post by speedsix »

...you did real well...God had your back...hope he din't cost you a lotta money in damage...I'd be surprised if they print the truck...times have changed in some places where they just won't print unless it's a major crime...
...Home Dippy has for about $48 eye-operated security lights that put out almost a yellow light...unlike the blue, that shows you something is out there...you can recognize someone you know out on the sidewalk...details are clearer, too..we use them exclusively...they hardwire in and I have one at each end of the porch...my yard's really well lit...I have them on a switch for when I want to be out without lights...they have a bigger one for about $10 more but never needed it...
...your story shows why it's good to have a light off your gun...you can hold the threat while looking for others...and, remember, at night, hold the light well away from your body...the tendency is for the BG to aim for the light...thinking you're behind it...
...your command voice is a great offensive weapon...you fry his circuits...

...you had more standing for deadly force under 9:42 (2) (A) and (3)(B), which kicks in because you were qualified under 9:41(a)...it need not be a felony in your situation , meeting those sections...

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks for sharing the details and post-mortem analysis..
Very helpful.

Glad it turned out the way it did...
You still have your truck and nobody was injured.

Tough call not pulling the trigger
I would have been worried about whether the BG was armed.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

Crossfire wrote:I am willing to bet that when Carlson started screaming, this guy thought he was hearing the almighty voice of God! Not only did they not find him, that guy is probably STILL running! ;-)
+1

Carlson, afterward, you were sure to check the front seat for any unusual moisture content, weren't you?

Good on ya for stopping the theft with no one getting hurt. And kudos to Irving PD for what sounds like a rapid response, and handling the situation well when they arrived.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

I've lived in Irving for 24 years and all I can say is I love (no exaggeration) the PD. I've had a lot of interaction with them over the years and they were all professional in their demeanor and actions.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”