The inevitable happened today!

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
atxtj
Posts in topic: 5

Re: The inevitable happened today!

Post by atxtj »

Mach1 wrote:You think maybe the officer picked up on atxtj's mood? And decided he (the officer) didn't know exactly what was causing it so he decided to err on the side of caution?

"To be honest I was shaking like a leaf as I pulled the car over and pulled out my CHL, license and insurance. Mrs. atxtj looked a bit nervous as well."
Don't think so, as the cop was as cool as could be, and was much more intent on training the rookie than paying attention to me or the wife, leaving us alone while showing him (the rookie) how to run my license and write the warning properly, and then instructing him on how to present the warning to me.

boba

Post by boba »

Jumping Frog wrote:That is a no-win path to walk down, I believe. Seems to me that once your license comes back as being a CHL, it is reasonable for the officer to ask if you are armed. If you lie, police officers are pretty good at spotting deception and lying to a police officer is in itself a crime.

That's one more in a long list of good reasons to get a license from another state instead of Texas.

handog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by handog »

glbedd53 wrote:What ever happened to Handog anyway?
I'm still here. :hurry: Reading more than posting.

I would not have been happy about this stop. The LEO says he's "not worried about you guys." then contradicts himself by disarming you!? He "likes to keep the guns out of it." (Not his gun just yours.)

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 2

Post by glbedd53 »

Couldn't have said it better myself.

danpaw

Post by danpaw »

I would like to know how many cops have been shot or shot at by a chl during a stop. Anyone have any statistics on that?

testersbc

Post by testersbc »

just saw on the NRA Blog officer Terry was fired!

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Random. I just went back through three pages of posts only to find there is no mention of an officer Terry. Went to the NRA blog and entered "Officer Terry" as the search term...but no hits on it. I feel frustrated, and like I am missing something...

...who is Officer Terry?

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

I'm throwing in my two cents a bit late here, but if a male officer ever feels that he needs to disarm me I'm going to make it worth his while. I would request that a female officer be called to the scene because
1) I will not hand ANYONE a loaded firearm
2) I do not feel comfortable unholstering my weapon in the presence of an LEO, even if the LEO okays it
and 3) I do not want a male officer touching any part of my body, which may happen in the course of disarming me.

I have all the time in the world and don't mind waiting for a female officer. If an LEO feels like he needs to disarm me, I feel like I need a female to do it, and I'll raise hell about it if I need to.

(For those who don't know me, I'm female. Try re-reading that and imagining I'm a male. Funny, eh? :lol: )

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

johnson0317 wrote:Random. I just went back through three pages of posts only to find there is no mention of an officer Terry. Went to the NRA blog and entered "Officer Terry" as the search term...but no hits on it. I feel frustrated, and like I am missing something...

...who is Officer Terry?

RJ
I'm guessing he means Officer Daniel Harless in Ohio. The one who berated and arrested a concealed handgun license holder. There's a thread about it somewhere around here.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

randomoutburst wrote:I'm throwing in my two cents a bit late here, but if a male officer ever feels that he needs to disarm me I'm going to make it worth his while. I would request that a female officer be called to the scene because
2) I do not feel comfortable unholstering my weapon in the presence of an LEO, even if the LEO okays it
and 3) I do not want a male officer touching any part of my body, which may happen in the course of disarming me.

I have all the time in the world and don't mind waiting for a female officer. If an LEO feels like he needs to disarm me, I feel like I need a female to do it, and I'll raise heck about it if I need to.

(For those who don't know me, I'm female. Try re-reading that and imagining I'm a male. Funny, eh? :lol: )
You wouldn't get one. If the need to disarm is for Ofc safety gender goes out the window. We have nights where a female isn't working. Female prisoners in custody can still be searched by male officers (back of hand on sensitive areas, have a second officer there if possible, and on camera). Unless I'm looking for crack - I do my own search on females. And I expect females to do their own searching.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

gigag04 wrote:(back of hand on sensitive areas, have a second officer there if possible, and on camera)
I just wanted to point out that this is actually policy designed to protect the officer from false complaints. It is pretty standard to see this, but there is NOTHING in the law, and no case law I am aware of, that stops an officer from searching a suspect of the opposite gender.

To second Gigog04's point, I was known for telling my trainees that i would strip search a female prisoner in the middle of the interstate during rush hour if I thought she was hiding a gun. I would not be that thorough if it was for drugs or less dangerous evidence, but MY safety was priority number one for me.
Steve Rothstein

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

handog wrote:
glbedd53 wrote:What ever happened to Handog anyway?
I'm still here. :hurry: Reading more than posting.

I would not have been happy about this stop. The LEO says he's "not worried about you guys." then contradicts himself by disarming you!? He "likes to keep the guns out of it." (Not his gun just yours.)
Happy to see you posting. I went back to refresh myself with your experiences since last time I came across you I had no idea. I hope you are doing well these days. :thumbs2:
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

medalguy

Post by medalguy »

Here's my experience. I have a heavy foot (I know, I know) and have been stopped three times by Texas DPS in different counties. Each time I have handed them my DL with CHL on top of the DL. Each time the officer has been extremely courteous, looked at the CHL, and handed it back. I remember each one asking if I were carrying, twice I said yes and they asked where the gun was, in an IWB holster, and each said just leave it there. These two also said they didn't blame me a bit for carrying while traveling and thought everyone should carry. One added he liked my rear bumper sticker (How's that hopey-changey thing working out for ya?). None of the three gave me a ticket although one gave me a written warning. None disarmed me nor asked me to exit the vehicle.

Another quickie-- last year driving through New Mexico down I-40 I was stopped by a county deputy who walked up to my truck and looked in and asked if I was carrying any illegal drugs. Of course I said no, and he then asked if I would like to. I laughed and said no, then he said have a nice day and walked away. I supposed this was just a quick drug enforcement check at random. Never even asked for a DL or any ID.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

randomoutburst wrote:I'm throwing in my two cents a bit late here, but if a male officer ever feels that he needs to disarm me I'm going to make it worth his while. I would request that a female officer be called to the scene because

I have all the time in the world and don't mind waiting for a female officer. If an LEO feels like he needs to disarm me, I feel like I need a female to do it, and I'll raise heck about it if I need to.
Dang, I was all ready to agree 100%, and take this on as personal policy for me, until I got to this part...
randomoutburst wrote:(For those who don't know me, I'm female. Try re-reading that and imagining I'm a male. Funny, eh? :lol: )

AustinMRH

Post by AustinMRH »

These threads are always interesting. The sense of entitlement is overwhelming. Certainly the CHL is a right and not a privilege, but with that right comes some rules. If a LEO asked me to disarm, or chose to disarm me so be it, it is within the law that he can do so if he reasonably believes it is necessary for his, yours and others protection. A reasonable belief being one in which an ordinary and prudent person would make in the same circumstance. So here I am, as ordinary as they come and pretty prudent and I would want your gun away from you. If you are staying in the car, I'd say just keep your hands clear. But if I felt it necessary to get you out of the car I'm going to put myself at ease and disarm you. After all, why do you need your weapon on your person while you are in the care of a LEO (I imagine there are folks out there who day dream of traffic stops gone bad where they save the day and protect a wounded officer from a car full of banditos hell bent on revenge)?

While on the topic, the level of paranoia that some folks on this board live with everyday must be borderline debilitating. I am all for being prepared and situational awareness, but you don't need an underpants holster for the hours between 10pm-6am. I carry in situation when I don't feel I can maintain sufficient control of the surroundings. So yes that looks like most of the time when I am out of the house. But my first line of defense is always avoidance. I will always seek to avoid putting myself in a position to need my weapon. The side of the road with a LEO is a place I do not need my weapon in reach.

I don't think that the officer is going to write me a ticket for lack of concealment for the brief moment it takes me to replace my weapon, while out in the wilds of public street Texas. Mostly because I am not going to touch the weapon until he and I are both at ease with the situation (ie he is in his car driving down the road). Even then the gun is just going back into the pocket at the front of my seat, since if I can't reach it with ease it isn't any good.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”