Cow caused LE contact

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Cow caused LE contact

Post by C-dub »

2farnorth wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:
2farnorth wrote:AArrrgh. Got to go back to the Dr today. Getting small slivers of glass out of my left ear last night and a small bit of blood. Left eye is swollen nearly shut and blacker than coal. Left rear part of my head and neck hurt when I try to sleep. :cryin Gonna call work today and see if they will convert these last 3 days into vacation time (fat chance since then they would have to pay me for it :rules: :lol: and my official retirement date is tomorrow )
They have to pay out your earned vacation either way. You may want to check on how your company handles vacation and 'sick days' as well as short term disability.
It's possible that you may be able to use disability for your time off, or maybe sick days, and not vacation. That way, when you get your last pay check, you'll get cash for the unused vacation days. Don't use them if you don't have to! They're worth money, so try your other options first.
Appreciate the advice... I wish it worked that way in this company. No sick days, vacation is "not earned" it is "given" to us according to the company. They have informed us that it can not be cashed in under those conditions. It is forfeited upon termination. Disability only kicks in after 2 weeks. Since I have all ready given notice it's not available.
Just talked to my terminal manager and I need to stop by and sign a vacation request. He will send it in as vacation. At least I won't lose those days when I terminate my employment as I would have otherwise. May help pay for some of the resulting expenses that I am incurring.
Or you might be able to use FMLA. I think you can use that after an auto accident. FMLA is tough for a company to legally deny if you follow the rules about applying. However, since today is your last day, FMLA may be a moot point.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Post by johncanfield »

Keith B wrote:..he owner has a duty to fence and keep the animal in. If there is negligence on the rancher's part in that they failed to properly fence or neglected to maintain the fence and the cow got out, then they are liable. However, if no negligence can be shown on the farmer's part, then your insurance will have to cover the accident.
We own a small ranch and raise exotics (blackbuck antelope.) When we bought the place five or six years ago I was amazed at how high our homeowner's insurance was. Our house is pretty small so I questioned the Farm Bureau agent about the price - he said "animals." There is an assumption if you have acreage, you will have animals. If you have animals, you could have liability issues.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
2farnorth
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 2farnorth »

johncanfield wrote:
Keith B wrote:..he owner has a duty to fence and keep the animal in. If there is negligence on the rancher's part in that they failed to properly fence or neglected to maintain the fence and the cow got out, then they are liable. However, if no negligence can be shown on the farmer's part, then your insurance will have to cover the accident.
We own a small ranch and raise exotics (blackbuck antelope.) When we bought the place five or six years ago I was amazed at how high our homeowner's insurance was. Our house is pretty small so I questioned the Farm Bureau agent about the price - he said "animals." There is an assumption if you have acreage, you will have animals. If you have animals, you could have liability issues.
I imagine that that is the reason that the cow I hit has never been found. No body wants to be liable for the medical bills that have resulted from the accident. Got more of them today as I had to go to an ENT and have several more glass slivers "vacuumed" out of my left ear canal. I have insurance but I also have high co-pays and deductibles. WHen you add up the helicopter, ambulance, FD, ER+Dr, my GP, Optometrist, and now 2 visits to the ENT it's getting pretty steep.
The Fannin County Sheriff's office is still working on it and I must say they have been superb. They say they may have a lead on the cow's owners. But proving it was theirs is a different story. The suspected owners have rooms full of lawyers in their primary business.
As I mentioned before, the deputies handled my carry weapon situation very well.
N5PNZ

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”