Get out of Jail Free Card

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Diz
Posts in topic: 1

Get out of Jail Free Card

Post by Diz »

DPS lit me up comming into Laredo the other day. Handed him my license with the CHL on top. First thing out of his mouth "Don't worry, I'm not going to give you a ticket."

Keith B

Re: Get out of Jail Free Card

Post by Keith B »

Diz wrote:DPS lit me up comming into Laredo the other day. Handed him my license with the CHL on top. First thing out of his mouth "Don't worry, I'm not going to give you a ticket."
Don't count on the CHL being a free pass. If u deserve a ticket u will more than likely get one. When I used to make stops I knew for sure if I was giving them a ticket before I got out of the car. The only time that changed was if I had planned on giving them a warning and they threw an attitude at me, then they probably had just talked themselves into a ticket.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

:iagree: Just count your lucky stars. The next time may have a different outcome.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Got my first moving violation EVER after I got my CHL... you are lucky!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

Keith B wrote:
Diz wrote:DPS lit me up comming into Laredo the other day. Handed him my license with the CHL on top. First thing out of his mouth "Don't worry, I'm not going to give you a ticket."
Don't count on the CHL being a free pass. If u deserve a ticket u will more than likely get one. When I used to make stops I knew for sure if I was giving them a ticket before I got out of the car. The only time that changed was if I had planned on giving them a warning and they threw an attitude at me, then they probably had just talked themselves into a ticket.
:iagree: I think it is a fairly safe assumption that you can talk your way into a ticket pretty easy but that it is very unlikely that you will get out of one if the officer plans on writing it.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If he wasn't going to give you a ticket, why do you think he stopped you in the first place? Or do you really think the CHL changed his mind?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Kyle Brown

Post by Kyle Brown »

I have been teaching the CHL class for many years. For the first several years (3 or 4), I kept an unwritten tally of those renewal students who had been stopped for moving violations and received tickets. Very few (@ 1 in 10) had been stopped for a moving violation. During the time, I counted 4 students who had been stopped and actually received tickets. Most of these renewal students lived in rural Texas, were older (over 50), and drove very little. During the time I have been licensed to carry, I have been stopped 3 times for a moving violation and received no tickets. I agree that the CHL is not a 'get out of jail free card', but I can say that having one seems to improve your odds for not getting a ticket.
Texas CHL Instructor
Paralegal Division-State Bar Of Texas
NREMT

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...there's two sides to that coin, one being that most LEOs like CHLs and are more likely to identify them as "us" rather than "them"...the other being that most CHLs are more responsible citizens and break fewer laws, respond to an LEO more maturely and evenly, and don't show an antagonistic attitude that rubs the LEO the wrong way...I'm always thankful for mercy shown...been stopped once that I remember since getting my CHL...

sumyungai

Post by sumyungai »

C-dub wrote:If he wasn't going to give you a ticket, why do you think he stopped you in the first place? Or do you really think the CHL changed his mind?
It could have been a pretext stop. I got pulled over late one night before I got my CHL. I was on an open highway doing a safe and reasonable speed that was probably slightly over the posted limit. I was polite, obviously sober, and answered his fishing questions. I got a warning when he realized I was a college student going to visit my parents for the weekend and wasn't under the influence of anything except Dr Pepper, didn't have any warrants, and he could see there wasn't anything in the back seat except a basket of dirty laundry. :lol:

Mel

Post by Mel »

speedsix wrote:...there's two sides to that coin, one being that most LEOs like CHLs and are more likely to identify them as "us" rather than "them"...the other being that most CHLs are more responsible citizens and break fewer laws, respond to an LEO more maturely and evenly, and don't show an antagonistic attitude that rubs the LEO the wrong way...I'm always thankful for mercy shown...been stopped once that I remember since getting my CHL...
I agree 100% :iagree:
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I have stopped MANY people with a CHL. While I am and always have been a huge supporter of everyone having a firearm...I just don't see where it has anything to do with traffic violations. I write people with a CHL traffic citations on a weekly basis. Get out of jail free card? No such thing.

I am glad you got a warning...they are an effective tool depending on the violation...IMHO. All that said, if you tell me you have a gun....be ready to talk about them for a little while!

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Blindref757
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Blindref757 »

I got pulled over today by DPS...63 in a 50. I pulled over promptly, kept my hands in sight, and was cordial. Warning issued.
Officer was very professional...I was on my way to umpire a baseball game. He asked me where my handgun was located (console), and asked for my insurance card (glove box). Thanked me for keeping them in separate locations. Gave me back my CHL and insurance card...took my DL to his car to scan, printed out my warning for 50+ in a 50MPH zone, and wanted to talk about baseball!

I don't know if the CHL was the reason I got a warning or not, but I expected a ticket and was pleased to get the warning. This was my first LEO contact in 11 years...I've been on borrowed time for a while now.

gemini

Post by gemini »

Blindref757 wrote:I got pulled over today by DPS...63 in a 50. I pulled over promptly, kept my hands in sight, and was cordial. Warning issued.
Officer was very professional...I was on my way to umpire a baseball game. He asked me where my handgun was located (console), and asked for my insurance card (glove box). Thanked me for keeping them in separate locations. Gave me back my CHL and insurance card...took my DL to his car to scan, printed out my warning for 50+ in a 50MPH zone, and wanted to talk about baseball!

I don't know if the CHL was the reason I got a warning or not, but I expected a ticket and was pleased to get the warning. This was my first LEO contact in 11 years...I've been on borrowed time for a while now.
Well..... maybe he felt sorry for you..... since most umpires are vision impaired :biggrinjester:
But, seriously, I think many of the "warnings" issued that are reported here; just may have something
to do with polite, responsive, courteous and non-confrontational attitudes exhibited by most CHL holders.
(In addition to all the other wonderfulness we all possess)

Taggart

Post by Taggart »

C-dub wrote:If he wasn't going to give you a ticket, why do you think he stopped you in the first place? Or do you really think the CHL changed his mind?
I got pulled over by Plano PD today for doing 10 over the limit... the officer walked up to my window, asked for DL and insurance, and told me he was going to give me a warning before I had a chance to say a word or hand him my CHL. Sometimes it just depends on the circumstances of the stop I guess.

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

Blindref757 wrote: ...He asked me where my handgun was located (console), and asked for my insurance card (glove box). Thanked me for keeping them in separate locations....
Interesting. Thanks much for the heads-up.

After having a CHL since the beginning I have been unconscious of this point, and I must admit that I have had both the paper and the handgun in the same glove box, depending on the particular circumstances and the car I was driving, although the handgun is generally on my person.

What an invitation by me to an unnecessary troublesome situation.

Jim

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”