Being the 1st Reportee

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Being the 1st Reportee

Post by RPB »

Being the 1st Reportee after a de-escalation

After consternation, contemplation and etc ... I decided to ...

I just now got back from the Police Station:

I wrote a synopsis of events in a text file on a CD; Met with an Officer ... just in case this guy shows up on my doorstep or starts something I can't escape some day. The officer recognized me ( I have a very very distinctive look ) I produced my DL and CHL and explained how and why I de-escalated, he understood. He asked if I wanted to press charges or file complaint, I declined, but told him where he could find an illegally parked vehicle the guy drives and see if he had been drinking, :mrgreen: but I just wanted a records in case the guy follows me home some day

txt file I gave him (Edited out exact location, names etc)
March 2. 2012

10:10 a.m

On _________Ave just off of @ _______ St

I turned onto _________Ave just off of @ _______ St on my way home after taking a disabled friend to pay his utility bill and back to his Apartment

A Truck was driving wrong side of street, on _________Ave
TRANSPORTATION CODE
TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS
SUBCHAPTER B. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY AND PASSING
Sec. 545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY.

almost had a headon collision, but I stopped in time

He pulled next to curb (on the wrong side of the street)
I waited thinking he might turn in front of me
he parked in violation of
TRANSPORTATION CODE
Sec. 545.303. ADDITIONAL PARKING REGULATIONS. (a) An operator who stops or parks on a two-way roadway shall do so with the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel to and within 18 inches of the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. etc

As I changed lanes & was passing he made offensive gesture with finger
(Penal Code Disorderly Conduct Chapter 42)
PENAL CODE
TITLE 9. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND DECENCY
CHAPTER 42. DISORDERLY CONDUCT AND RELATED OFFENSES
Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
(1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;

(2) makes an offensive gesture or display in a public place, and the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;

(3) creates, by chemical means, a noxious and unreasonable odor in a public place;

(4) abuses or threatens a person in a public place in an obviously offensive manner;

It was at this point I thought I might know the person as he looked sort of familiar and I thought he might be making the gesture in "fun" (thought I don't usually associate with people who think that's fun) and having retired from working at a law office for 25 years, I thought I'd let him know that since he was parked facing the wrong direction, he might be held liable if someone ran into his truck which was parked facing the wrong direction, especially at night since red reflectors wouldn't be visible.

I stopped, advised him and he hollared that I better get my (expletive) on down the road, he knew that and I better get my (expletive) out of there. ... So I left

I left

Silver truck, I didn't get the license plate, but the guy looked familiar because he is the one who eats at the same place I do Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday nights and has Jalepeno Peppers with every meal.

I usually stay away from him on those nights as once about 8 months ago I asked him if he needed Jalepenos when I didn't see any, and he responded with "What business is it of yours?"

I don't know what he has against me, those are the only interactions we've had.

I don't really want to file a complaint or press charges, but I do want a record of this.

My name is
Officer asked if the guy was mentally stable, I said I do not know ...
He asked if the guy made any specific threats, I said just gestures and what he said
I said I do not want to file charges, I just want you guys aware.

I'm not sure if this will be in our small town weekly paper or not "rlol" we have a "Police Beat column" ... I hope not, that's why I hesitated to even report it, but ... probably better that the Police ARE aware ... in case the guy IS losing his mental capabilities. Just Tuesday a lady had her kids sit near him, saying he's a nice man, and he got up and left when they sat close to him ... so I dunno .. apparently he's well known in town, lived here a long time. About 60-65-ish big fellow. (taller than 6' and twice my weight, looks like he worked hard all his life, instead of a desk job like I had)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Re: Being the 1st Reportee

Post by RPB »

post any comments, thoughts, recommendations if you want :bigear:

If I was in Houston, I'd let it pass, but I cross paths with the guy at least 4 times a week, he's a couple blocks away from me, and there isn't a way to completely avoid him other than selling my house, which I intend to deed to my niece in a few years ... and move to another city. We've had property here since 1960. I have family here, help take care of a nice and sister-in law, and just doesn't seem reasonable to "get run out of town by noon" by some guy who needs counseling or something, though I'll continue trying to avoid the nutcase. (This is a real small town, you can ride a bicycle from one end to the other in 10 minutes or so)

Guess I'll stay home and not go to supper tonight and miss fellowship with other friends I have up there... maybe he'll cool down by Monday, or get committed.
I'm no lawyer

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

I do understand your concern, however, is it reason enough to become a recluse? I would think not, but thats just me.

The guy was clearly in the wrong in more ways than one and you have made a report so that is on record I assume not only to make LEO aware of the situation but also to protect yourself in the event he does become stupid.

It sounds like he is trying to intimidate (or bully) you. I have found through the years that those type of people will usually back down when you square up toe to toe so to speak. Those that don't are just looking for trouble and there is not much you can do about them.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

RPBrown wrote:I do understand your concern, however, is it reason enough to become a recluse? I would think not, but thats just me.

The guy was clearly in the wrong in more ways than one and you have made a report so that is on record I assume not only to make LEO aware of the situation but also to protect yourself in the event he does become stupid.

It sounds like he is trying to intimidate (or bully) you. I have found through the years that those type of people will usually back down when you square up toe to toe so to speak. Those that don't are just looking for trouble and there is not much you can do about them.
Yeah, I'm out of practice in that way ... Even though I'm a "cripple" with only 1 hand ... first time anyone tried to bully me was about 5th grade. (Roughly 1963/64-ish)
Kinda funny story
School tough guy wanted to fight, I said OK Meet me at George's house. Of course he went to George X's house, I went to George Y's house, so when I rode my bike home from George Y's house and he saw me, we went back to George Y's house and decided to play with bullwhips before fighting. He popped himself in the eye and didn't feel like fighting .. so the next day everyone said "Where were you?" I replied at George Y's house with Andy, didn't you see his eye? And that's all I said, but I'm sure no one believed his story about hurting himself all by himself ... and no one bothered me again for years. :coolgleamA:

No one bugged me till a thug wanted to fight over a girl in Jr. High and I was like, She's free to choose, but he pushed me from behind and I inserted the core of a pear I had just eaten up his nose and the toughest guy in school, a bud of his came over and the thug expected his bud to hit me ... but he shook my hand instead. ... then the Coach came over.

Neither of the two guys, nor anyone else attempted to bully me again.

Then I studied martial arts etc, grew into more of a biker look, wore my 5-1/2" knife to college, no one bothered me, (except the lawyers I worked for later wanted me to get a haircut and shave, but they needed my skills since I was one of the best Legal Assistants in Texas :roll: ) ) so that's why I say ... "out of practice" at being bullied, and now I'm too old and worn out and arthritic to fight and the other Deacons and Pastors at my church haven't wanted to wrestle or anything lately ... :lol:

====
Edit to add:
Anyway ...
Instead of going to eat, I picked up and delivered a prescription for the disabled+injured in car wreck deacon I took around earlier today, he said that guy is unfriendly to him too when he says howdy to him, so it isn't just me, ... we decided apparently he has a problem with males who look better than he does or to whom the ladies pay more attention, so we'll use the ignore button around him. :roll:

I'm sure I'll see the guy Monday, that's soon enough.
I'm no lawyer

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Nothing like a law background! Sounds like you did the right thing. You can't avoid him, so you crafted a nice trail should he decide to confront you.

BTW, are pears in season right now? :clapping:

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Pears ... not yet really ( LOL I checked the tree next door)

Harvest Schedule / Availability of Crops in Texas
http://www.pickyourown.org/TXharvestdates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:biggrinjester:
I'm no lawyer

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Ignore him. Getting upset about anything short of him physically touching you is giving him the power in this situation.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

jbirds1210 wrote:Ignore him. Getting upset about anything short of him physically touching you is giving him the power in this situation.

Jason
Yup. Ignore him, but be aware of his presence.

I also reported a person I knew, but didn't like, that made threatening remarks to me. The police I reported it to said they still couldn't do anything about it, but I thought like you did that it would be better to have some record of the incident. I did have my CHL at the time and was carrying and told the officer this when I made my statement. I didn't see the guy again for a couple of years and he didn't come anywhere near me. I didn't avoid him. It's just that our paths never happened to cross for a while and they haven't again since then.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

The guy seems to be avoiding eating when and where I eat lately anyway, perhaps he embarrassed himself.
Not worried.
I only spoke to him twice in a year or so, won't be a problem not speaking to him again. ;-)
I was more worried that the guy might be drinking and driving than anything.
Even in the Country/small towns, we have had too many fatality accidents recently.
I'm no lawyer

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”