Did a double take...

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

Did a double take...

Post by PBratton »

So, started a new job in the medical center here in Houston last week.

Besides trying to learn my way around the buildings here, I've been watching the ebbv and flow of the people around me.

While having lunch with my wife, (we work a block away from each other now), I notice a Deputy Constable in full uniform out directing traffic. Now, while this is not unusual, the fact that he had no left hand was.

I was asking myself the question of how could this gentleman still be able to perform his street duties? I mean, handling an unruly customer is hard enough sometimes with two hands...

Any of the LEO folks out there help shed some light on this one for me?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

speedsix

Re: Did a double take...

Post by speedsix »

...I'm constantly amazed at what the physically challenged can accomplish...because no part of their handicap is between their ears...
...I'm happy to see his department recognized this fact...and found a way he could continue his service to the community...

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

PBratton wrote:So, started a new job in the medical center here in Houston last week.

Besides trying to learn my way around the buildings here, I've been watching the ebbv and flow of the people around me.

While having lunch with my wife, (we work a block away from each other now), I notice a Deputy Constable in full uniform out directing traffic. Now, while this is not unusual, the fact that he had no left hand was.

I was asking myself the question of how could this gentleman still be able to perform his street duties? I mean, handling an unruly customer is hard enough sometimes with two hands...

Any of the LEO folks out there help shed some light on this one for me?
I was born with no left hand
I applied at Baytown P.D. in the 1970s, passed the torture test (obstacle course etc) did fine on the civil service test, but they didn't want to hire me so they put me in a room with a martial arts instructor and told me to handcuff him, and told him to resist ... I cuffed the guy and he got a day off due to an injury (a cuff pinched him slightly causing a small broken skin requiring a small bandaid) They said they couldn't hire me since I injured the guy.

I had a .400 batting avg in Middle school, got a basketball trophy too. Monkey bar/horizontal ladder may be tougher for some 1-handers, but if the hungry grizzly bear is close enough, a 1-hander will make it across ... just depends on if he's motivated.

Two hands would be a handicap, extra fingers always getting in the way and all. Not being able to get either big hand into smaller spaces ... couldn't even do simple things with two oversized mitts, like get a hand all the way inside of a water glass to scrub the bottom of the glass.
I admire you two-handed people, but I'm not sure how you guys make it through life without accidentally snapping off some of those extras you got, but I admire you guys for trying. (Even if there's lots that a one-hander can do that you guys can't due to your larger mitts)

Back when I smoked and went from regular sized cigarettes to 100s, I used to bump them into a window or shoulder-seatbelt when driving since I wasn't used to the extra length. My dad used to say "You'll have a 'normal' hand when you get to Heaven" and I'd reply "I hope not, I'd probably accidentally snap all the fingers off within a week, don't wish that on me please." I mean sure it might be cool to have a prehinsel tail so we could hang from branches ... but it wouldn't feel normal having extra parts we weren't used to, and it'd take a while getting used to ... and we'd be handicapped then ... couldn't sit in the same chairs we like ... car seats and toilet seats would be a challenge too ...

;-) :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Well-rounded, all around...and an expert at Tae-Kwon-Pear also! My hat is off to you.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

The only law in Texas on physical requirements for law enforcement is that each officer must get a doctor to sign a form saying he is capable of performing the job before he can be hired. Each department gets to make their own rules on what is required to do the job for their new hires. Some departments do everything they can to avoid medical retirements when the person is hurt on the job. Live Oak kept a female officer on the job after both her legs were amputated in an accident on duty.
Steve Rothstein

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

RPB, I like and respect your attitude. Thanks for having pitty on us two handed ten fingered folks.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

RPB:

IIRC, in an earlier thread on some other topic you mentioned that you were a unique-looking individual.

What I pictured was long hair, tattoos, or a mohawk. You have now painted quite a unique picture.

How do you work a kayak paddle(s) given your situation?

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:RPB:

IIRC, in an earlier thread on some other topic you mentioned that you were a unique-looking individual.

What I pictured was long hair, tattoos, or a mohawk. You have now painted quite a unique picture.

How do you work a kayak paddle(s) given your situation?

SIA
paddle is easy since both hands are on it ... like a baseball bat, shovel, garden hoe/rake etc one holds other is mostly leverage. I have the thumb bone on;ly from the wrist to where the first joint is, but that's enough to carry a suitcase etc. (Make like a hitchhiker thumb, flex your wrist back, try to press on that bone to force the rest of the thumb down, it's a strong muscle)
My paddling only technique isn't the fastest against experienced paddlers, but I have a Hobie mirage drive, pedals + paddle, so I go faster than people just paddling with 2 hands. :mrgreen:
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/outback/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 20+ years I worked in a law office, I usually had a beard, but looked like I worked in a law office.
Shaved in 2007 and some 18 year old and 20 year old girls started flirting, so I grew it back
(Having a beard as Ultraviolet skin protection all those years makes me look 30 or so years younger when I shave... I had to grow it back because I stopped getting my Senior Discounts everywhere.)
I had a beard off and on the last 43 years. Usually bearded for 7 or 8 years, then shave a few months,
Usually after a girl saw photos of me shaved and said how good lookin' I was, and they wanted to see that Kirk Douglas dimple in my chin, http://www.google.com/search?q=kirk+dou ... 24&bih=636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I shaved at some girl's request, then when she saw me, she'd leave, soooo .... :smilelol5:

No tattoos, had hair to my waist after retiring, then shaved the head, now it's just short hair, had beard to my belt buckle, cut off 2 feet of it last week, probably cutting the rest off in a week or 2 ... I constantly change my appearance, have since I was 14. Came in handy when I was as licensed Private Investigator too.
My driver's license and CHL look like 2 different people and in a week or so, I won''t look like either of them. "rlol"
Last edited by RPB on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RPB wrote:...and in a week or so, I won''t look like either of them. "rlol"

NOW I know who you are!!

Or, do I? :headscratch

:lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”