Lake Dallas PD

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
7075-T7
Posts in topic: 3

Lake Dallas PD

Post by 7075-T7 »

Wife was pulled over for speeding, no contest there, but she forgot to show her CHL with her DL (Looks like we need to brush up on CHL law :rules: ) but then the cop throws out the "Well, I can cite you and then they'll revoke your CHL licence" milarky. :mad5 Yes, she was in the wrong for not showing it in the first place but I really don't understand the "I'll revoke your CHL" nonsense to someone who was nothing but cooperative and nice. Especially since it was her first ticket in 10+ years of driving.

Fun fact, on the Lake Dallas side of the Toll bridge they have written over 1,500 speeding citations since the bridge opened, on the Denton side less than 10. While on I-35 I rarely see a police car catching the people going 75 in a 60 weaving in and out of traffic.
/rant

Though, she said he didn't even react when she said there were 3 pistols in the car "rlol"

C-dub

Re: Lake Dallas PD

Post by C-dub »

I don't understand something. Lake Dallas and Denton are on the same side of that bridge on I-35E. Highland Village and Lewisville are on the south side of the bridge. Do the Lake Dallas police patrol and issue tickets on the south side of the lake? I have never seen one on the south side myself.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

Not only did she NOT have to show it, there is no Penalty for not doing so. The LEO was totally WRONG and acting like a big shot.......musta been a rookie.....

Still, I always show mine, but if for some reason I don't happen to have it and some LEO says "Well, I can cite you and then they'll revoke your CHL license" my response will be "write it up and we'll see who's right in Court". :banghead:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

AEA wrote:Not only did she NOT have to show it, there is no Penalty for not doing so. The LEO was totally WRONG and acting like a big shot.......musta been a rookie.....

Still, I always show mine, but if for some reason I don't happen to have it and some LEO says "Well, I can cite you and then they'll revoke your CHL license" my response will be "write it up and we'll see who's right in Court". :banghead:
Whoa there buddy. The requirement to show it is still there. Only the penalty has been removed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AEA

Post by AEA »

Well, no penalty = no foul.

But thanks for correcting me on the requirement to still show it with DL.
Last edited by AEA on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
7075-T7

Post by 7075-T7 »

C-dub wrote:I don't understand something. Lake Dallas and Denton are on the same side of that bridge on I-35E. Highland Village and Lewisville are on the south side of the bridge. Do the Lake Dallas police patrol and issue tickets on the south side of the lake? I have never seen one on the south side myself.
Lake dallas is between 35 and lake lewisville around swisher (The toll bridge road).

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=o ... CFIQ8gEwAg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AEA wrote: and acting like a big shot.......musta been a rookie.....
Her recounting did sound a lot like he was being bullish to a worried and compliant lady.

She was driving home after spending time tutoring special ed students in Math at her school. I know that doesn't maktter but it makes a better story :biggrinjester:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

The other quesiton is, was she carrying? If she wasn't, then there is no requirement to show your CHL at all. If she was, as others have said, she must show it, but no penalty if she doesn't. That was removed in the 2009 legislative session.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

Keith B wrote:The other quesiton is, was she carrying? If she wasn't, then there is no requirement to show your CHL at all. If she was, as others have said, she must show it, but no penalty if she doesn't. That was removed in the 2009 legislative session.

...I've been told here that if you have a CHL, and a pistol in the car, you're not flying under MPA, but CHL...because it's in close proximity...

Topic author
7075-T7

Post by 7075-T7 »

Keith B wrote:The other quesiton is, was she carrying? If she wasn't, then there is no requirement to show your CHL at all. If she was, as others have said, she must show it, but no penalty if she doesn't. That was removed in the 2009 legislative session.
She wasn't carrrying on her person, but she had 3 in close proximity.

I didn't know you didn't have to show if you weren't carrying.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

7075-T7 wrote:
She wasn't carrrying on her person, but she had 3 in close proximity.

I didn't know you didn't have to show if you weren't carrying.
...TAM explained it here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=49130&p=602951&hil ... pa#p602951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...this may help... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48320&hilit=mpa&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

To clarify some geography here:

The I-35E bridge over Lake Lewisville connects Lewisville/Highland Village on the south side, to Hickory Creek on
the north side. If you travel northbound, you hit Hickory Creek first, and the Lake Dallas town line very closely follows.

The LLTB (Lake Lewisville Toll Bridge) is part of FM2181, aka Swisher Road, and connects Lake Dallas on the west
end with Little Elm on the east end. The LLTB spans Lake Lewisville, and was opened so that Denton County traffic
can have another route across the lake. Prior to its opening travellers would have to either go all the way around
Denton to I-35E, using Highway 380, or George Bush Turnpike to I-35E through Carrollton.

Lake Dallas police enforce speeding all the time on FM2181 between I-35E and the LLTB.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************
Regarding speeders on I-35E in this area, Hickory Creek and Corinth are very active at issuing speeding tickets.
Hickory Creek usually is on the southbound side of I-35E from the town line next to McDonald's hamburgers, to the lake,
where the town line ends. Then they tailgate the offender all the way across the Lewisville Lake bridge, and write them
up on the service road near the Highland Village beach.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote:
AEA wrote:Not only did she NOT have to show it, there is no Penalty for not doing so. The LEO was totally WRONG and acting like a big shot.......musta been a rookie.....

Whoa there buddy. The requirement to show it is still there. Only the penalty has been removed.
There should be more laws like that. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

7075-T7 wrote:
C-dub wrote:I don't understand something. Lake Dallas and Denton are on the same side of that bridge on I-35E. Highland Village and Lewisville are on the south side of the bridge. Do the Lake Dallas police patrol and issue tickets on the south side of the lake? I have never seen one on the south side myself.
Lake dallas is between 35 and lake lewisville around swisher (The toll bridge road).
Okay. Side of the highway, not lake. I was thinking different sides of the lake, which is why I was confused. Sorry.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”