Tried to get local cop on patrol to NCIC check gun, denied

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

speedsix
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Tried to get local cop on patrol to NCIC check gun, deni

Post by speedsix »

...not at all...as an LEO, you're given access to info that the public doesn't have access to...it's to be used with guidelines and is highly restricted...NCIC possibly more so than any local info you might be asked to get as a favor...you can lose your job if you're caught accessing restricted info as a favor...it must be done as part of an official investigation...if a person turns in a found weapon, or you're on a case and come across one inventorying a car or as result of a search warrant...that's a lot different than running one just because someone asked you to as a favor, or for a business...the FBI info I posted and the cases I linked ought to make that clear...

Topic author
JeepGuy79
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JeepGuy79 »

So how can a person buy a used gun without concern? I don't want a registry system... but I sure as hell don't want to get a used piece in my local mom and pop gun hut and get pulled over with it and it be stolen. I don't keep receipts. I don't want to start either. But I don't want silver cop jewelry either.

BTW, I have multiple friends that are cops. Next time I will likely just call one of them. I just didn't think of it as a "favor", I thought of it as a smart move. There is such a distance between cops and civilians. No offense to the officers of this board, I truly appreciate your service. I love criminal justice, crushed the LSAT, but wont go the route I would like most just because of that line. Kinda sucks, but thats how it is.

also, when the cop that called in my gun he didn't have to explain why he wanted it or what it was for. He just grabbed the phone, dialed the number, told them his name and that he needed a gun ran. Gave them the info. They said it was clear. Whole thing took 20 seconds. I cannot imagine why anyone would care that he did such a thing. Now if I wanted to check YOUR gun or background or something I see the issue. He was super cool about it. I didn't get the vibe he felt he was sticking his neck out.

Since I got the gun checked and some decent ammo for it my grandfather has took it with him every day. When he is at home it is beside him in his chair part of the sectional he loves, and on his nightstand at night. Makes me feel good inside.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...in Texas, if you buy from a pawn shop, they've submitted copies of their pawn tickets or buy sheets...which are supposed to be checked to see if merchandise matches any stolen reports...where I am, they ran weeks behind...from an individual, get a written receipt with his info on it...this protects you...in a gunshop, the Firearms Transaction form that the dealer would have and your receipt will protect you...they can still confiscate if something fell through the cracks on the check for stolen...just can't charge you...

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

speedsix wrote:...in Texas, if you buy from a pawn shop, they've submitted copies of their pawn tickets or buy sheets...which are supposed to be checked to see if merchandise matches any stolen reports...where I am, they ran weeks behind...from an individual, get a written receipt with his info on it...this protects you...in a gunshop, the Firearms Transaction form that the dealer would have and your receipt will protect you...they can still confiscate if something fell through the cracks on the check for stolen...just can't charge you...
Speed, if it were confiscated and you had your receipts, wouldn't the dealer/store be liable for the purchase price of the firearm?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I don't know...we never had it happen in 5 years...we bought carefully...I've heard stories both ways...but no first-hand info...if the store acted in good faith, and ran the slips through the local PD, and the local PD did their job, within the 21 days we had to hold a bought item, it would have shown up hot...normally...now, I'm wondering if gunshops in Texas have any hold time when they buy a gun or trade one from an individual...ours came under the pawn laws...

...if it happened to me, I'd sure try to get them to replace it...

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...here's you an answer from another forum...this is a good guy and a pro at it...

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/stol ... -guns.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...register and address pawncop...he'll be a lot of help on your specific question...

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

JeepGuy79 wrote:So how can a person buy a used gun without concern? I don't want a registry system... but I sure as heck don't want to get a used piece in my local mom and pop gun hut and get pulled over with it and it be stolen. I don't keep receipts. I don't want to start either. But I don't want silver cop jewelry either.

BTW, I have multiple friends that are cops. Next time I will likely just call one of them. I just didn't think of it as a "favor", I thought of it as a smart move. There is such a distance between cops and civilians. No offense to the officers of this board, I truly appreciate your service. I love criminal justice, crushed the LSAT, but wont go the route I would like most just because of that line. Kinda sucks, but thats how it is.

also, when the cop that called in my gun he didn't have to explain why he wanted it or what it was for. He just grabbed the phone, dialed the number, told them his name and that he needed a gun ran. Gave them the info. They said it was clear. Whole thing took 20 seconds. I cannot imagine why anyone would care that he did such a thing. Now if I wanted to check YOUR gun or background or something I see the issue. He was super cool about it. I didn't get the vibe he felt he was sticking his neck out.

Since I got the gun checked and some decent ammo for it my grandfather has took it with him every day. When he is at home it is beside him in his chair part of the sectional he loves, and on his nightstand at night. Makes me feel good inside.

police officers ARE civilians, the only exception is military police.

Drjfiremedic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Drjfiremedic »

I have had the Sheriffs office here run checks on several guns I have bought from friends and the average joe. They shouldn't have any issues doing this for you at all. There would be no legal issues for them if said gun came back hot as stated in an earlier post. They simply confiscate the firearm and start up an investigation, of which, you are now expected to cooperate in. NCIS privileges would not be lost either. That is one of the purposes of these systems.

Also as stated earlier, if you cannot get one of the townies to help you. Find a DPS trooper.

Drjfiremedic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Drjfiremedic »

I also would not think of this as them "doing you a favor" more of them just doing part of what they are paid to do. Protect and SERVE.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

gigag04 wrote:I would treat it like someone coming up and ask me to check them for warrants.
I have had that turn into a surprise for someone!
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”