Off Duty Officer and guys recording at wal-mart

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
KingofChaos
Posts in topic: 4

Off Duty Officer and guys recording at wal-mart

Post by KingofChaos »

A friend posted this on my facebook, and I thought some of you might find it interesting for various reasons. At the very least, it'll cause some good conversation on a lazy Sunday.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/30/t ... -of-taser/
EAA Witness Elite Match .45 ACP
Blade Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster
SOG Flash II

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Off Duty Officer and guys recording at wal-mart

Post by tbrown »

He touched a cop in uniform to stop the cop from moving toward his friend. I'm waiting for the media to vilify him like they vilified George Zimmerman for touching a cop (who wasn't in uniform) from moving toward his friend.

If anyone in the media has a milligram of integrity, they'll be all over this. But don't hold your breath.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WildBill »

They were obviously trying to provoke the guy into doing something stupid.
NRA Endowment Member

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

More Sons of Obama in action.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Topic author
KingofChaos

Post by KingofChaos »

WildBill wrote:They were obviously trying to provoke the guy into doing something stupid.
Maybe, but that doesn't mean he has to do it. I also don't think it's all that obvious. They mostly just came off as obnoxious dudes with a cellphone to me. I'm also kind of sad he didn't finish his sentence as to why he was recording.
SOG Flash II

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

tbrown wrote:He touched a cop in uniform
Major tactical error.

The people videotaping are 100% in the right up until that moment. They do not have to talk to the cop, they do not have to stop videotaping, they do not have to show ID, they do not have to consent to being detained. They can ignore the cop and not interact with him at all.

Touch the cop, however, and he just committed a crime. That changes everything. Now they can be detained, arrested, ID'd, the works. Idiots.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
KingofChaos

Post by KingofChaos »

@Jumping Frog and tbrown

I don't think either of them ever actually touched him actually. The guy put his hand up which was still a stupid thing to do, but it was the officer who knocked it away.
SOG Flash II

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The all dark uniform and shoulder patch resemble the ones for my fair city PD. I hope not. The Click2 Houston story stated the videographers were released with a warning for criminal trespassing. :headscratch :headscratch Experts needed. I thought a warning had to be issued and ignored before CT and the property owner, not a security guard, had to issue the warning??? I can't really make a precise judgment they were trying to provoke since he never got to state why they were video taping, but it was still pretty dumb. Way too much free time on their hands!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

jmra

Post by jmra »

The guys should have just walked off, but the officer needs some de-escalation training. He brought a bucket of gas to put out a fire instead of a bucket of water.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

I don't get it. Why did the officer make the contact in the first place?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

C-dub wrote:I don't get it. Why did the officer make the contact in the first place?
This was my thought as well.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Based on what I saw in the video My thoughts are that the officer initiated and escalated the entire contact. His motives are not entirely unknown to us, he already stated he had been hurt once at that location earlier that day. He may have thought they were attempting to ID him for the other party(s) to better facilitate a relatiatory action. But what ever his logic was he went about it in the wrong way. The off duty officer was the first to assault the video taker when he grabbed at the camera, at which time the video taker attempted to disengage the contact and the officer drew his taser. The Officer then continued the contact with the video taker and the third party (video takers friend) placed himself between the officer and the video taker. This was done in an appearent attempt to deescalate the situation and was the basis of the officer slapping his hand aside after which the third party does appear to touch the officer. With that said the video takers actions are completely justified based on what I have seen, the actions taken by the Video takers friend are mostly justified (The touching of the officer might be justifiable after the officer has already assaulted one person and may have assaulted the toucher). The officers actions were not professional, if he felt the need to draw a weapon (A taser is a weapon) he should have called for assistance before continuing the contact for a number of reasons. If he didn't feel threatened then there is no need to draw a weapon and he should not have done so.

With that said if I had been a witness to that encounter I would have called 911 (Officer with a weapon drawn and no appearent backup in place) and reported the situation while trying to find cover incase things progressed to the level of bullets.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer »

IMO, the officer was 100% in the wrong and should be punished accordingly. This kind of abuse of power makes me furious. I would have no problem at all seeing this man lose his job permanently. I'm sorry if that seems overly harsh, but that's how I feel about police state goons demanding "papers" for no good reason and then becoming aggressive and threatening when their unreasonable demands are not met.
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

texanron

Post by texanron »

The security guard/ off duty officer could've and should've handled this better. As others have said, he escalated the situation to a level it didn't need to go to. At least thats what I see from watching the video.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

over reaction on the part of officer. He should have asked them to stop filming or leave the property. It is private property owned by Walmart Co. If they refused to leave, automatic trespassing charge.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”