McKinney PD

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
austin
Posts in topic: 1

McKinney PD

Post by austin »

Wife was driving the truck. Cruiser in turn lane in middle of street. We drive by and he turns around and pulls us over. Its the inspection sticker 4 days too old.

I hand insurance to wife and she shows her ID. I hold up my CHL and DL and tell the officer "FYI."

He smiles and says "No problem. Just don't get out of the truck and start shooting at me!"

Fixit ticket. Got the truck done that day.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

Thats what I like to hear!

Someone else posted here about a stop where the officer responded with: "If you don't show me yours, I won't show you mine" (or something like that). :smile:

I appreciate both the humor and good attitude of those guys/gals.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

My DPS officer at Dimebox was just as polite when he said just keep your hands where I can see them. He even smiled when He showed me where to sign.
I must be a lot older & uglier than you guys. :cry:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

When I wrecked my car a couple of months ago (embarrassing to say the least) I handed the responding officer my license and CHL, and he kind of snickered and said that I was shaking too hard to be a threat to him.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: McKinney PD

Post by KBCraig »

austin wrote:Wife was driving the truck. Cruiser in turn lane in middle of street. We drive by and he turns around and pulls us over. Its the inspection sticker 4 days too old.
Man. One of my seldom-driven (but properly registered and insured) vehicles has an inspection sticker that is oh... about 3 or 4 years expired. :oops:

Every time I take it out, I worry a bit, and think I really should get around to the inspection. And then I promptly forget it as soon as I park it. I figure that the state (and county) isn't all that worried about their share of eleven bucks; so long as the tags are paid, they're getting what they're after.

I have wondered whether expired inspections were a "primary offense". Now I know, based on Austin's report. Of course, the expired inspection was likely just a pretense for the stop, on that chance something else could be found. An expired sticker doesn't make the vehicle unsafe.

When Arkansas did away with inspections a few years ago, they actually had the support of the state police. When burned out bulbs don't get caught at inspection time, it gives them a chance at a legitimate "safety" stop, because safety equipment is actually malfunctioning. And in the course of that stop, they have the opportunity to find other violations, or find something in the course of a search with consent.

Seventeen years in Texas, and I've never had an inspection that checked everything the on the list. Lights, wipers, horns, turn signals, flashers, and proof of insurance... occasionally, a "brake test" that consisted of pulling out of the bay and jabbing the brakes at 10mph. That's it.

Those are the kind of things that cops on the street have plenty of opportunity to observe. The inspection is an archaic sham.

Kevin

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

KBCraig wrote: Seventeen years in Texas, and I've never had an inspection that checked everything the on the list. Lights, wipers, horns, turn signals, flashers, and proof of insurance... occasionally, a "brake test" that consisted of pulling out of the bay and jabbing the brakes at 10mph. That's it.

Those are the kind of things that cops on the street have plenty of opportunity to observe. The inspection is an archaic sham.

Kevin
As was noted in a discussion on licenses (CHL and otherwise), it is more about transferring $ out of your pocket and to the state than anything else. It doesn't cost the state much $ to run the program and it generates more in revenue. It surely doesn't make vehicles any safer.

I prefer the Wisconsin method... they have a sticker you can get (provided your vehicle passes the inspection), but it isn't required by law. Getting one can be used as evidence that your vehicle is properly maintained if necessary, but that's about all it's good for other than having a mechanic check out your vehicle. The last time I had a vehicle inspected there it was MUCH more rigorous than the TX inspection is...

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

longtooth wrote:My DPS officer at Dimebox was just as polite when he said just keep your hands where I can see them. He even smiled when He showed me where to sign.
Most of us don't say things like "John M. Browning would be so ashamed..." when the officer walks up alongside the window...........

teasing.. :grin:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

lrb111 wrote:
longtooth wrote:My DPS officer at Dimebox was just as polite when he said just keep your hands where I can see them. He even smiled when He showed me where to sign.
Most of us don't say things like "John M. Browning would be so ashamed..." when the officer walks up alongside the window...........

teasing.. :grin:

LOL!

The officer probably noticed LT's disapproving look at his duty weapon....and took offense. :grin:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Glockamolie

Post by Glockamolie »

I'm surprised no one clarified what "expired" is:

"548.602. FAILURE TO DISPLAY INSPECTION
CERTIFICATE. (a) After the fifth day after the date of expiration
of the period designated for inspection, a person may not operate:
(1) a motor vehicle registered in this state unless a
current and appropriate inspection certificate is displayed on the
vehicle; or
(2) a commercial motor vehicle registered in this
state unless it is equipped as required by federal motor carrier
safety regulations and displays an inspection certificate issued
under the program established under Section 548.201.
(b) A peace officer who exhibits a badge or other sign of
authority may stop a vehicle not displaying an inspection
certificate on the windshield and require the owner or operator to
produce an inspection certificate for the vehicle.
(c) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(1)
that an inspection certificate for the vehicle is in effect at the
time of the arrest."

Basically, you have 5 days into the next month to get your inspection, or a "5-day grace period" if you will. So, if you expire in January, you wouldn't have an expired inspection certificate until February 6.
- Brandon

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

KBCraig wrote:
austin wrote: Wife was driving the truck. Cruiser in turn lane in middle of street. We drive by and he turns around and pulls us over. Its the inspection sticker 4 days too old.
Man. One of my seldom-driven (but properly registered and insured) vehicles has an inspection sticker that is oh... about 3 or 4 years expired. :oops:
Ooooh, bad boy.
KBCraig wrote: Every time I take it out, I worry a bit, and think I really should get around to the inspection. And then I promptly forget it as soon as I park it. I figure that the state (and county) isn't all that worried about their share of eleven bucks; so long as the tags are paid, they're getting what they're after.
No it’s not.
I grew up in the farmlands of the Texas Panhandle/South Plains. Those farmers would use trucks to take their grain (corn, wheat, milo etc.) to market; at times these trucks were 10, 15, 20 years old and only used once or twice a year.

The rest of the year these trucks would set beside the barn…totally idol and ignored. Mice would get up and eat the seats, the rubber floormat AND the wiring. These trucks would have tires so weather rotted that you would wonder how in the world would they ever hold any air pressure much less a load of any kind.

Now, have you ever driven upon a wreck that happened at night? One where the wife of a farmer, who was hurrying home to fix supper for her hard working husband, ran up under one of these grain trucks as he was returning from taking his grain to market. The driver of the car was decapitated because she didn’t see the truck—no lights. Have you ever seen the look on the driver’s face because the driver of the car was his wife?

I was a member of the Happy Volunteer Fire Department in ’73~’75 and had to respond to such an accident once.

It is the intention of the safety inspection program that unsafe vehicles, such as the seldom used grain truck above, are not allowed to operate upon our state highways, thereby keeping keeping innocent drivers, such as my wife and my daughters safer.

I’ve been a very vocal advocate for state inspections ever since.
KBCraig wrote: I have wondered whether expired inspections were a "primary offense". Now I know, based on Austin's report. Of course, the expired inspection was likely just a pretense for the stop, on that chance something else could be found. An expired sticker doesn't make the vehicle unsafe.

When Arkansas did away with inspections a few years ago, they actually had the support of the state police. When burned out bulbs don't get caught at inspection time, it gives them a chance at a legitimate "safety" stop, because safety equipment is actually malfunctioning. And in the course of that stop, they have the opportunity to find other violations, or find something in the course of a search with consent.
“PC.� as the trooper said, “Probable Cause.�
According to one trooper, that I know personally, it’s the stops for such safety concerns that net a plethora of arrests, for, at times, these people have other warrants—or—other illegal things (weapons, substances) in their possession. While these people will “Never speed.�; they do miss such things as a broken parking light lens, a burnt out tail lamp or license plate lamp.
KBCraig wrote: Seventeen years in Texas, and I've never had an inspection that checked everything the on the list. Lights, wipers, horns, turn signals, flashers, and proof of insurance... occasionally, a "brake test" that consisted of pulling out of the bay and jabbing the brakes at 10mph. That's it.
They haven’t met the enforcement trooper. Believe me I worked at one dealership where one of our mechanics gave a farmer/friend one of these ‘good-Ole-boy’ stickers. This trooper went out and inspected the truck and found a problem with it (one lug nut missing). Trooper came in and arrested the mechanic; took him away cuffed and everything. He did spend a few days in jail and he lost his inspection license. It seems as your mechanics need a friendly visit from the Inspection Trooper.
KBCraig wrote: Those are the kind of things that cops on the street have plenty of opportunity to observe. The inspection is an archaic sham.
Kevin
I humbly disagree.

Russ
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Odin

Post by Odin »

All of the of McKinney officers I know are good guys who wouldn't have a problem with a legally armed citizen. It's a good city and a good department, and populated by mostly good citizens.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

kw5kw wrote:Now, have you ever driven upon a wreck that happened at night? One where the wife of a farmer, who was hurrying home to fix supper for her hard working husband, ran up under one of these grain trucks as he was returning from taking his grain to market. The driver of the car was decapitated because she didn’t see the truck—no lights. Have you ever seen the look on the driver’s face because the driver of the car was his wife?
As tragic as that incident was, it confirms my position: the requirement for an inspection sticker does nothing to stop people who refuse to maintain a vehicle properly. Laws may prescribe certain behaviors and proscribe others, but they do nothing to actually prevent actions.

Let me post a counter-question: have you ever seen properly inspected and stickered vehicles with burned out lights? I have. I've even had a brake light go out just a few days after an inspection.

Kevin

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

I suppose you'd be for mandating yearly safe firearm inspections to make sure that firearms are stored safely and are in good working condition?

Thats why I'm not for the automobile inspections either.

(EDIT: Upon reading this again, it sounds snippy, I really didn't mean it to.)
Last edited by nitrogen on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

nitrogen wrote:I suppose you'd be for mandating yearly safe firearm inspections to make sure that firearms are stored safely and are in good working condition?

I don't see how that is a valid comparison. The state regulates everything about the vehicle you drive, from the type of tires you can have on it, to the gas you put in it, to the types/height/color of lights on it, etc, etc. The state also requires you to register the vehicle. How is ANY of that like your firearm? :roll:

That said, in the counties up here the inspection is mostly for emissions, and I see it as simply another tax. The law states what is required; let the police enforce it and get the state a little bit out of my pocket. ;-)

However, we all know that Texas has an inspection law, there is a big number on the windshield to tell us when it expires, so we really have no complaint if it expires and we get written a ticket for an expired inspection.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

txinvestigator wrote:
nitrogen wrote:I suppose you'd be for mandating yearly safe firearm inspections to make sure that firearms are stored safely and are in good working condition?

I don't see how that is a valid comparison. The state regulates everything about the vehicle you drive, from the type of tires you can have on it, to the gas you put in it, to the types/height/color of lights on it, etc, etc. The state also requires you to register the vehicle. How is ANY of that like your firearm? :roll:
The difference is merely one bill away.

If the state can regulate "everything about the vehicle you drive, from the type of tires you can have on it, to the gas you put in it, to the types/height/color of lights on it, etc, etc.", then why can't they regulate everything about the pistol you carry? From the type of grips you put on it, to the ammo you carry in it, to the types/height/color of sights on it, etc., etc.?

I almost made the same "pistol inspection (for the safety of the public!)" comparison that Nitrogen made. I would have used the Michigan example. Michigan doesn't have gun registration. But for every handgun purchased, the owner must bring the gun to the county sheriff's office, for a 'safety check'.

They don't "register" the guns, but they do "record" the serial number and owner. Just in case. :roll:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”