Houston police officer enjoys Galveston hospitality

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 18

Re: Houston police officer enjoys Galveston hospitality

Post by seamusTX »

Maybe I'm just a knee-jerk liberal at heart, but here's how I look at it:

—A habitually drunken mope who gets into a bar fight and stabs someone goes to prison maybe for a year. It's not his first time. It won't be his last. The taxpayers house and feed him for a while, and he gets out and does it again. Everyone knows that is all life holds for him.

—A cop who is convicted of a felony loses his job and any possibility of being a cop or holding any position of trust, ever. He's left with a bunch a legal bills and no income. Probably he loses his house. Maybe his wife dumps him. His family treats him like the proverbial black sheep. Probably most of his former friends are "busy" if he calls them.

That's a lot worse than just spending some time in the slammer.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Keith B »

seamusTX wrote:Maybe I'm just a knee-jerk liberal at heart, but here's how I look at it:

—A habitually drunken mope who gets into a bar fight and stabs someone goes to prison maybe for a year. It's not his first time. It won't be his last. The taxpayers house and feed him for a while, and he gets out and does it again. Everyone knows that is all life holds for him.

—A cop who is convicted of a felony loses his job and any possibility of being a cop or holding any position of trust, ever. He's left with a bunch a legal bills and no income. Probably he loses his house. Maybe his wife dumps him. His family treats him like the proverbial black sheep. Probably most of his former friends are "busy" if he calls them.

That's a lot worse than just spending some time in the slammer.

- Jim
The mope didn't take an oath to uphold the law; the LEO did. That is where I think he deserves more. Sure, the LEO MAY have more to lose, but maybe not. The LEO could be unmarried, living in an apartment and have rich parents that would pay all of his legal bills, so speculating on that part is hard to say. And when he gets out he can find a job mowing lawns or flipping burgers. The price you have to pay.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Keith B wrote:Sure, the LEO MAY have more to lose, but maybe not. The LEO could be unmarried, living in an apartment and have rich parents that would pay all of his legal bills, so speculating on that part is hard to say.
You're right.

It tends to be taken into account at sentencing. That's when they can consider the guy's general character, get his pastor to swear what a great guy he is, etc. Or not.

Sometimes that goes wrong. There are people who talked their way out of a prison sentence and then went on to do worse things.

- Jim

old farmer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by old farmer »

:tiphat:
Video: http://www.khou.com/video?id=149931525&sec=548217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
God Bliss America.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

recaffeination wrote:If he's convicted, his HPD job is over but is he still eligble to work as a cop in Dallas? :evil2:
That's the truth! I can't recall chapter and verse in order to bring everybody up to speed on the details,
but when Dallas PD got a new chief a few years back, he started cleaning house of all the scoundrels in DPD.

There were a bunch of Dallas LEO's caught in all kinds of mischief. They are now ex-LEO's.

It's tough to be a Dallas LEO. They get the worst crime areas, plus they make a lot less $ than some speed trap cops
in civilized nearby suburbs.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Well, the ofifcers name is Dumas. Yep, pretty well think that is close to fitting him. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by speedsix »

...long as his middle name's GONE...

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

speedsix wrote:...long as his middle name's GONE...
or WADDA
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

I have been wondering as to the identity of Dumas' drinking buddies.
I also have been wondering what they do for a living.
Enquiring minds gots to know.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

According to later reports, the suspect was not "flashing" in the usual sense. He was demonstrating body piercings that were, shall we say, south of his tan line.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 532112.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/HPD-o ... /pb35wx/-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also Mr. Dumas is not charged with the pistol-whipping. That was one of his companions, who was not arrested on the scene.

BTW, the name Dumas is French and pronounced "doo mah" in Gay Paree. I can't vouch for how Mr. Dumas pronounces it.

- Jim

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

A friend of the suspect was also arrested and charged with failing to report a felony.
Would someone please explain this to me. Since when is it a crime for failure to report a crime?

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by speedsix »

http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/38.171.00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...oh, since about Sept of '03...
Last edited by speedsix on Fri May 04, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

SC1903A3 wrote:
A friend of the suspect was also arrested and charged with failing to report a felony.
Would someone please explain this to me. Since when is it a crime for failure to report a crime?
§ 38.171. FAILURE TO REPORT FELONY. (a) A person commits
an offense if the person:
(1) observes the commission of a felony under
circumstances in which a reasonable person would believe that an
offense had been committed in which serious bodily injury or death
may have resulted; and
(2) fails to immediately report the commission of the
offense to a peace officer or law enforcement agency under
circumstances in which:
(A) a reasonable person would believe that the
commission of the offense had not been reported; and
(B) the person could immediately report the
commission of the offense without placing himself or herself in
danger of suffering serious bodily injury or death.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but this offense is used to prosecute people who were involved in a crime but did not commit the main criminal act. The guy who was arrested was not simply a bystander. He was allegedly involved in the fight.

Think of the mopes who make cell phone video of crimes and put them on YouTube without bothering to tell the police. Usually these people know who the perpetrators are and other material information.

- Jim

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

seamusTX wrote:Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but this offense is used to prosecute people who were involved in a crime but did not commit the main criminal act. The guy who was arrested was not simply a bystander. He was allegedly involved in the fight.

Think of the mopes who make cell phone video of crimes and put them on YouTube without bothering to tell the police. Usually these people know who the perpetrators are and other material information.

- Jim
I thank that was the intent Jim, but the way it is written will apply to anyone who would know that the crime was being committed but turn their backs and walk away without reporting it.
Keith

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”