Stopped By DPS Today

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

gigag04
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Stopped By DPS Today

Post by gigag04 »

steveincowtown wrote: If an LEO has preconceived perceptions before they pull me over, that is their problem, not mine.
Actually, I think you would be the one with the problem in this scenario.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LikesShinyThings »

steveincowtown wrote:
bci21984 wrote: The runners, trick riders, lane splitters, stunters, and so on, have created a negative image for you in the eyes of the police. So you get stopped, he's fishing, you get attitude as you have stated and the cycle is continued. You are now part of the group that draws the negative attention. Try this next time you get stopped, realize that you are on a sport bike and are being perceived as the negative group of the sportbike crowd, if the officer fishes, dont get your attitude. Answer the questions and engage in a pleasant conversation and prove that you are not part of the negative crowd.
<snip>

Second, the statement above amounts to nothing short of profiling. If an LEO has preconceived perceptions before they pull me over, that is their problem, not mine.

<snip>
No disrespect intended, but people, LEOs included, profile every single day. And they do it because it works. If I see a pair of tattoo-covered teens/young folk coming toward me, pants half way to their ankles, and hats on backwards, I'm jumping to high alert, considering escape routes, determining what I think I need to do next to keep myself safe. If instead the folks are a pair of well-groomed, sharply dressed (thinking suits here) folks that I would likely trust to handle my money in a bank, I'll watch them but won't cross to the other side of the street and so forth. Why? Because a disproportionately high number of (personal injury type) crimes are committed by the first group when compared to the second group, specifically. Yes, some folks wearing suits do commit murder and other mayhem. But it is much more likely to come from the gansta/wannabe than from the local stand-up professional-looking type.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

jamullinstx

Post by jamullinstx »

The real problem is that male prohibita crimes can result in someone's arrest. Only male en se crimes should hold the consequence of arrest. Our current system gives police agencies too much leverage for very minor offenses.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 12

Post by speedsix »

jamullinstx wrote:The real problem is that male prohibita crimes can result in someone's arrest. Only male en se crimes should hold the consequence of arrest. Our current system gives police agencies too much leverage for very minor offenses.

...would you please 'splain them two foreign language terms for those of us who ain't so eddicated??? :mrgreen:

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

LikesShinyThings wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:
bci21984 wrote: The runners, trick riders, lane splitters, stunters, and so on, have created a negative image for you in the eyes of the police. So you get stopped, he's fishing, you get attitude as you have stated and the cycle is continued. You are now part of the group that draws the negative attention. Try this next time you get stopped, realize that you are on a sport bike and are being perceived as the negative group of the sportbike crowd, if the officer fishes, dont get your attitude. Answer the questions and engage in a pleasant conversation and prove that you are not part of the negative crowd.
<snip>

Second, the statement above amounts to nothing short of profiling. If an LEO has preconceived perceptions before they pull me over, that is their problem, not mine.

<snip>
...totally agree with this one...when I was a cop, we didn't call it profiling, we called it paying attention and gathering all the clues about a person as you approached them to make good decisions...
...cops get profiled CONSTANTLY...as they encounter a citizen, that citizen often judges them by the actions of those cops they've dealt with in the past...and to have a successful encounter, that cop must "live down" or overcome any negatives in prior experiences that the citizen may have had...I habitually walked into situations and immediately encountered the attitudes and expectations caused by previous officers...and I often told the citizens: "I'm not the last white cop who walked in here...now back it up and let's start this thing over!!!" more times than not, it defused the situation and we got the problems solved...profiling is just a PC word attached to paying attention to what you see and hear, and using that information to make wise decisions...we ALL "profile"...we DON'T all misjudge...

No disrespect intended, but people, LEOs included, profile every single day. And they do it because it works. If I see a pair of tattoo-covered teens/young folk coming toward me, pants half way to their ankles, and hats on backwards, I'm jumping to high alert, considering escape routes, determining what I think I need to do next to keep myself safe. If instead the folks are a pair of well-groomed, sharply dressed (thinking suits here) folks that I would likely trust to handle my money in a bank, I'll watch them but won't cross to the other side of the street and so forth. Why? Because a disproportionately high number of (personal injury type) crimes are committed by the first group when compared to the second group, specifically. Yes, some folks wearing suits do commit murder and other mayhem. But it is much more likely to come from the gansta/wannabe than from the local stand-up professional-looking type.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

jamullinstx wrote:The real problem is that male prohibita crimes can result in someone's arrest. Only male en se crimes should hold the consequence of arrest. Our current system gives police agencies too much leverage for very minor offenses.
It's a simple question of weight ratios...a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

gigag04 wrote:
It's a simple question of weight ratios...a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
And an ant can carry between 20-50 times its weight.................
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...that about the ant flashed to my mind, too...but I still have no idea what that furrin langwich means...maybe it's a secret society thing between the "in the knows"...and we commoners couldn't understand anyways...or if it's about critters and weights...it may be a fancy way of sayin "don't let your jaybird mouth overload your hummingbird.............tailfeathers"...we may never know...

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

speedsix wrote:

...would you please 'splain them two foreign language terms for those of us who ain't so eddicated??? :mrgreen:
Malum prohibitum means something that is wrong only because it is prohibited by the state. Malum in se means something that is wrong in and of itself without the law.

For example, most people would agree that theft is wrong, so it would be a malum in se crime. Many people claim that there is nothing wrong with smoking marijuana, so they would define it as a malum prohibitum crime.

One of the questions of legal philosophy is how many and what crimes that are malum prohibitum should actually be allowed. A totalitarian government makes many of these type of laws. A free government that respects its citizens makes very few. I don't think any government would make none and many of the laws are on things that could be argued either way.

One example of a crime that could be argued is speeding. If it possibly puts others in danger, it could be argued to be malum in se. But if it puts no one else in any danger at all, it could be argued as malum in se. whether it does put others in danger or not is an arguable point that makes it a great example of this question.
Steve Rothstein

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...many thanks for that enlightenment...appreciate the time...

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

This isn't one of them. :lol:

goose

Post by goose »

srothstein wrote:Malum prohibitum means something that is wrong only because it is prohibited by the state. Malum in se means something that is wrong in and of itself without the law.
Very good write up. Thank you.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WildBill »

speedsix wrote:...many thanks for that enlightenment...appreciate the time...
:iagree: Thanks Steve. I didn't know that you were bilingual. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I didn't, either, but he's always ready and willing to make a helpful, informative, substantial contribution!!! :thumbs2:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”